Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stone auction comments

2 posters

Go down

stone auction comments Empty stone auction comments

Post  dick benbow Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Yesterday, The puget sound bonsai club held their bonsai auction on the grounds of the Weyerhaeuser Pacific rim Bonsai display garden. There were three stones in the auction of 77 trees and all sold to atleast their reserve. It was the second year that stones made their apperance. I mention that in passing because I think it was significant that membership was receptive. it was not the same on their first appearance last year. The suiseki club is a part of the PSBA bonsai organization. This sale pulls trees and bonsai affectionados from as far away as Portland, Oregon.
Curious in other parts of the world how well stones are accepted to avid bonsai collectors and if they are a part of any local or regional auctions?
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

stone auction comments Empty Bonsai Rocks

Post  Geoline Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:59 am

Well, okay, I'm listening to Jordi Savall renaissance music at the moment and not Rolling Stones or Baby Metal, but really, bonsai old school involved rocks before making its way from China to Japan in the form of Penjing.

While I no longer am involved in bonsai organizations, perhaps your group needs to see more displays involving bonsai and suiseki as a natural progression from Penjing. If people don't quite get the visual significance of suiseki, introduce them to the Penjing form of tree and stone art. More exposure of stones in a formal setting like with royal court Hinamatsuri festival (Japanese Girl's Day) with heirloom gofun court ningyo, bonsai and viewing stones will make your group warm-up to the cultural and artistic significance of viewing stones. Heirloom stones, bonsai, and court ningyo have been in many Japanese families for several generations when the samurai were active. The stones maybe lovingly handled, but the ningyo and bonsai are too precious to caress. At least this is my understanding as someone who also sculpts ningyo from volcanic ash clay.
Geoline
Geoline

Back to top Go down

stone auction comments Empty Re: stone auction comments

Post  dick benbow Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:20 am

thanks for your comments Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

stone auction comments Empty Boys Day: Tango-no-Sekku

Post  Geoline Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:40 pm

Dear Dick,

I wanted to share a web page I found about Boys Day displays on how suiseki plays into the samurai culture from a young boy's perspective.
Boys Day Japan

I don't know if appealing to the inner child of your group helps them develop an appreciation for suiseki. But the formal Boys Day display on the Ginkoya page demonstrates how the parents/grandparents sneak in suiseki appreciation to the boys.

This display has two suiseki mountain arrangement painted at the base of the display stand with musha ningyo accoutrements above. The arrangement is a proud declaration that a boy must grow into a strong warrior and rise above the mountains to become guardian of his clan.
Geoline
Geoline

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:08 pm

My primary hobby along with bonsai and suiseki is Koi. Ahh, I remember fondly the carp streamers gliding in the wind, representing the male youth fighting up the waterfalls of life to be able to turn into a dragon.

I appreciate you sharing the culture as it helps to understand the holidays of Japan. Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down