Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2011 85th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION

+16
xuan le
Kev Bailey
Karl Thier
bigbabol
Todd Ellis
Ryan
kauaibonsai
Rob Kempinski
Paul Landis
craigw
sunip
Russell Coker
bontailo
Billy M. Rhodes
Ravi Kiran
William N. Valavanis
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2011 85th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION - Page 2 Empty Re: 2011 85th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION

Post  William N. Valavanis Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Jun,

The Japanese plant old respected bonsai in old antique pots. A younger bonsai might be planted in a "new" or contemporary pot, while the masterpieces are always planted in appropriate containers. The American containers have no "history" or are new. Age is highly respected and selecting the appropriate quality container is equally important as to selecting the suitable shape, size and color.

Respect for the bonsai is most important in Japan. Only the highest quality containers are utilized in the Kokufu Bonsai Exhibition which have antiquity and patina. I've never seen a brand new Japanese container used in this show, it would not be appropriate.

If the American (or Western) container were over 150 years old and showed patina, even with a few chips, sometimes filled with gold, it might be accepted.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

2011 85th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION - Page 2 Empty Re: 2011 85th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks for the report Bill,

Always fantastic trees.
Too bad about the snow hurting the event.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Very clear now.
So that's where the rentals of antique pots comes in.

thank you again.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 am

thanks bill,

yours is always the first peek at kokufu.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:41 am

Hey Bill,

Beautiful trees and appears to be a great show. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but that Sargents Juniper by Doug Paul makes me wonder. These questions are for anyone, really, but how does one get a tree from Pennsylvania all the way to a place like that? How many precautions must be used on a tree that fragile (looking) and large? Thanks!

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:05 am

Bill, Thank you for posting the pictures and your explanations of "why things are the way they are" at the Kokufu.
I look forward to seeing you at the Symposium in Lynchburg on February 26th.
Best, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:42 am

hello ryan: I believe mr paul purchased the juniper from a supplier in Japan. before the tree is sent to the U.S. and two years of quarantine, his agent submitted the tree for entry at kokufu and got the tree accepted for showing. the same process occurred last year with his hemlock.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  bigbabol Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:15 am

thank for sharing, please post continuously Very Happy
rgds
bigbabol
bigbabol
bigbabol

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Thier Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:15 am

If you see the pictures of the Kokufu trees, then my trees are very cheap and I know that I am removed light years from this quality. Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Thanks William for your comments and images.
Karl Thier
Karl Thier

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks Bill for your photo's and details. I hope that the rest of your trip this year is as enjoyable with not too much more snow.

I am pleased to note that the move to this 7th floor display area is a temporary one. I thought the Art Museum an excellent display space. Is it being refurbished?
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:46 pm

Thank you Bill for the detail and informative report.
I wonder the whereabout of Mr Paul's Ezo Spruce of last year show. Is it in the US soil yet or still in Japan?

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Karl,

I've seen photos of your bonsai and you do excellent work! Please do not feel bad. Bonsai is your hobby for you to enjoy. That is the MOST important reason for people to grow and train bonsai. You must first enjoy the trees and I feel if you want to improve there is always room.

You should be proud of your work and artistry.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Dustin Mann Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:53 pm

Bill, your explanations about trees/pots at exhibition is so very helpful to me. It gives me a greater humble appreciation of our bonsai obsession. For me humility is a touchstone of ancient features of the earth. Dustin Mann

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:26 pm

I am starting every morning with a study visit to Kokufu Bonsai Exhibition. When my mind is full I must leave and go to the Green Club or to visit the temple across the street. Then I usually return again in the afternoon for more study. That's been my schedule for this week.

This morning as I was studying the bonsai I saw Kunio Kobayashi looking at each and every tree, and I was fortunate to be able to join him as he went through the entire show. What a learning experience!

Susumu Nakamura speaks English and is one of the members of the NBA who is in charge of the exhibition. He was one of the 12 judges for the acceptance judging in January and was also one of the three judges who select the coveted "Kokufu" Award (National Bonsai Award). The other two judges are Hiroshi Takeyama (NBA "president") and Mr. Ito. They selected the five award winning bonsai.

I asked Mr. Nakamura about the Kurume azalea which was in full bloom. I was wrong in my earlier posting. Apparently some trees are forced to bloom for this show, primarily the Japanese flowering quince and this Kurume Azalea. The owner of the Kurume Azalea lives north of Tokyo where it is colder than here now. It's funny, 80% of the evergreens show their "winter" coloring, while about 20% are protected to show off their bright green coloring. I'm sorry about the incorrect information I presented earlier, I learn every day.

Also, I forgot to mention another interesting bonsai, a Yakushima rhododendron, Rhododendron yakushimanum. This is a very unusual species trained for bonsai. It was collected on Yakushima Island and trained in the multiple trunks style. Although this species has beautiful whitish pink flowers in spring, it is primarily grown for the beautiful indumatum (fuzzy texture under the foliage which also covers the new growth, very striking. This bonsai was great, however, the owner REMOVED all the plump flower buds before displaying. This ruined the natural appearance of the bonsai.

This afternoon I watched as several people were removing the spent flowers from the Japanese flowering apricot bonsai. Others which were in bud on opening day are now in full bloom.

Every time I visit I greet Ikki Yoshimura (Yuji Yoshimura's nephew) who is now the proprietor of Kofu-en Bonsai Garden, as he is always watering and misting the shohin bonsai. There are 9 shohin bonsai compositions and I counted 48 individual specimens displayed here in one area. There are other shohin bonsai in the show used as accessory bonsai for larger specimens. Ikki told me that he must water these 48 trees twice or three times daily. That's all he has been doing this week.

And, as long as I'm reporting on shohin bonsai I saw something interesting I'd like to share. In November at the Taikan Ten Bonsai Exhibition (Grandview Bonsai Exhibition) held in Kyoto I carefully watched as Mr. Takeyama inspected a small cascade Japanese five-needle pine bonsai. Soon, Masahiko Kimura and Haruhiko Kato came over there was a big discussion about this small bonsai. Others came too and I saw a large amount of money change hands from Mr. Takeyama to the proprietor who was selling the tree. Mr. Takeyama purchased the bonsai as an accessory for a larger bonsai which belongs to one of his clients. So, this week I carefully looked to see if it was on display and it was.

Tomorrow morning I'll visit Kokufu Ten for my last study before I board my plane home. . . to shovel snow. I hope you enjoyed my reports.

Bill

2011 85th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION - Page 2 Kokufu10
Wednesday at the Exhibition. Mr. Nakamura is on the right and has white hair.

2011 85th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION - Page 2 Takeya10
Hiroshi Takeyama, left, and Harukiko Kato, right, inspecting shohin bonsai at Taikan Ten Bonsai Exhibition in November 2010.

2011 85th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION - Page 2 Sold_s10
Japanese five-needle pine with "sold" tag after purchasing by Hiroshi Takeyama.

William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:42 pm

William N. Valavanis wrote:I asked Mr. Nakamura about the Kurume azalea which was in full bloom. I was wrong in my earlier posting. Apparently some trees are forced to bloom for this show, primarily the Japanese flowering quince and this Kurume Azalea. The owner of the Kurume Azalea lives north of Tokyo where it is colder than here now.

Is this what I asked about earlier, the tree with the magenta flowers I wondered was a bougainvillea?

Glad you're having such a nice time! Thanks for the pics and wonderful information!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

2011 85th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION - Page 2 Empty g

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Russel,

Yes, the magenta flowering bonsai is a Kurume azalea, Rhododendron obtusum, which was forced for the exhibition. There also was a small bougainvillea with a couple of small flowers, nothing like the grand specimens in Florida and California. I also saw a small, interesting Rosemary which came from Italy in the display too.

Bill

Russell, are you familiar with the Yakushima Rhododendron?
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Karl, as I do, you do bonsai as your hobby I expect. Enjoy it every minute and if you love to take care and develop your own bonsai, there is no need to be sorry for not being able to bring up large sums of money to buy Kokufu awarding bonsai. I am not, and I enjoy bonsai as much. I enjoy watching Bills reports and my own travels to Japan. Knowing I am not wealthy, not a full time professional, being able to own these masterpieces my self. So I enjoy (fully) watching these and growing my own. If you take a walk in a private bonsai enthusiasts garden in Japan with the same income as us not wealthy and not poor people, you can compare your self with them I guess. They enjoy their bonsai, although not able to buy the masterpieces with great age i.e. I have visited some private bonsai gardens, and think many in the west doing good when comparing to the level of artistry. We have to be realistic when comparing our bonsai with others.

I too think from what I have seen you do very fine bonsai. We work with what´s available and enjoy each others works.

Thanks again Bill for this insight knowledge that I really appreciate you are sharing. Some surprising knowledge too. Have a safe trip home to the snow Smile

Best regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:08 pm

I am, it was planted throughout the Bonsai Park in the bonsai display areas. I saw a few in pots, but calling them bonsai would be a stretch. I'd love to see the one you mention.

I really appreciate your comments on satsuki. I would ask Mr. Rokkaku to submit his for Kokufu-ten but he'd flatly refuse. Satsuki shows were satsuki shows, and bonsai shows did not include satsuki even though the level of their training was amazing. You know I'm not talking about those "snakes", but rather BEAUTIFUL bonsai. Like you mention, none of the satsuki masterpieces in his collection were in glazed pots unless they were antique Chinese glazed pots. All of his best satsuki and other bonsai were in antique pots. I like your comment about satsuki in winter and enjoying their structure. It was also amazing to see their fall color too. They are so much more than flowers, and I didn't know that until I got to Kanuma and saw it for myself. We don't see that so much here on the coast.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Thier Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:49 pm

William N. Valavanis wrote:Karl,

I've seen photos of your bonsai and you do excellent work! Please do not feel bad. Bonsai is your hobby for you to enjoy. That is the MOST important reason for people to grow and train bonsai. You must first enjoy the trees and I feel if you want to improve there is always room.

You should be proud of your work and artistry.

Bill

William and Morten, of course I am happy with my trees and delight me to them. I have many old trees waiting for their design. When I look at the Kokufu trees then you know where you stand and it feels very small. I'm not negative because I know what I want to achieve. This is for me to see and learn. Very Happy

Karl Thier
Karl Thier

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert J. Baran Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Thank-you very much for the postings, Bill.

For newer members, please see this overview of Kokufu ten, http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/Days/Kokufuten.html , for background to this thread.
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks Robert,

That link to the event's background was very informative and made this thread much more meaningful. Greatly appreciated.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaimeister Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Thanks for all the great pics and info, Bill. Any chance of a few photos of the green club sales area?? Very Happy
bonsaimeister
bonsaimeister

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next