Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011

+4
fiona
Lorien
Russell Coker
Andrei Darusenkov
8 posters

Go down

Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  Empty Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:07 pm

On June 17-21 there was the first Russian bonsai and suiseki exhibition in the old town of Suzdal (about 200 km to the East of Moscow) that is part of the so-called Golden Ring of medieval Russian towns between Moscow and Volga River. Suzdal is tiny but perhaps it is best preserved in Russia in terms of old architecture and the overall spirit of history and nature ideally blended together. This exhibition was a joint effort of a tandem (not to be confused with political tandems in Russia! Laughing ) of Mikhail Blagoveschensky from Vladimir (suiseki) and myself (bonsai). As you would see Mikhail provided some of his suiseki to accompany my trees. A new local hotel (Nikolayevsky Posad) was kind enough to provide their sport pavilion for the event. The exhibition guests were further entertained by a tee ceremony, origami, Shakuhachi, and Russian folk musicians and dancers etc.

It was a lovely gathering indeed and we plan to make it a regular event. We expect to make one in the early Fall and then perhaps make it an annual event.

Photos of suiseki have been posted in the suiseki forum (https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t6702p30-my-suiseki-from-russia)

Best regards,

Andrei Darusenkov

Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_5910
the overall view with a tee ceremony pavilion in the middle...
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_4910
for me carrying everything back and forth was the main chore of the installation process Smile
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_4810
Mikhail preparing fabric for the tables...
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_5010
My wife assisting while the kid asleep Smile
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_5210
five national and local tv stations announced the event...
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  110
wild apple
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_2810
in front of my favorite creature..... Smile
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_410
ginkgo
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_210
hawthorn
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_610
elm
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_910
pseudocydonia
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_510
common oak
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_110
elm
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_1010
hornbeam forest
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_1510
thyme
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_810
hornbeam
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_1310
larch
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_2610
trident maple forest
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_3810
folk musicians scrutinizing strange little trees... Smile
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_3110
Mikhail's wife (Tatyana) having fun while her husband has to explain all over again what is suiseki Smile
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_5710
origami wizard Anna
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_5810
a selection of bamboo flutes - not for sale Smile
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_4310
first live performance for my two month son, it seems he couldn't miss a second of it! Smile
Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  1_4210]
At long last the time for Mikhail to relax - Russian folk show at the end of the exhibition... Smile

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  Empty Re: Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011

Post  Russell Coker Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:35 pm

What a wonderful show, thanks so much for sharing!! It's always nice to meet the people involved too.

Your "favorite creature" is beautiful, what is it?

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011  Empty Re: Suzdal (Russia) Bonsai and Suiseki exhibition 2011

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:07 pm

Russell Coker wrote:What a wonderful show, thanks so much for sharing!! It's always nice to meet the people involved too.

Your "favorite creature" is beautiful, what is it?

Russell

Russel, many thanks! It's an oriental hornbeam.
Best, Andrei

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  Lorien Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi, nice trees I particularly like the Ginko, I am looking for one for my collection.

Lorien

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Hello Andrei. Great exhibition and a nice touch with the pictures of friends and family. Exhibitions wouldn't go ahead without them and always my favorite aspect of a show. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi Andrei. Lovely show and great pics showing how it all came together.

Thanks for sharing.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi Andrei

Very interesting and beautiful trees. Congratulations. ThumbsUp

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Hilton Meyer Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:02 pm

Must say that I find it impressive that you are sharing such a wonderful even with us Mikhael and Andre esspecially as this is not your native language. Luckily a picture tells a thousand words and just looking at the collection is great. Well done and hope to see much more from the both of you

Hilton Meyer

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Andrei, you look great, nice seeing you here. Nice trees and display.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Andrei,

Thanks for sharing the news about the show. What a lot of work to take on. Your trees look great. And so does your new son - congratulations.

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Great trees with lovely accents. Seems like everyone had tons of fun.

As a student of bonsai, I have one question to ask about some of our display. In some of your pictures, you have your accents placed higher than the tree. Is there any particular reason... I have been to a lot of shows, and most people perch the tree either higher or atleast at the same level as the accent.

- S

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:04 am

Many thanks to everybody for your kind words!

suburbia wrote:Great trees with lovely accents. Seems like everyone had tons of fun.

As a student of bonsai, I have one question to ask about some of our display. In some of your pictures, you have your accents placed higher than the tree. Is there any particular reason... I have been to a lot of shows, and most people perch the tree either higher or atleast at the same level as the accent.

- S

Suburbia, this is a very pertinent and interesting question you're asking. Indeed, it seems that in Japan as a rule the bigger is the element of the composition, the higher it is placed. Though as usual with the rules in bonsai, one may come across exceptions here and there. In my case the reason was trivial. I had to prepare 50-60 trees for this exhibition and there was no way I could get as many stands for these trees, especially bigger ones. Hence, many of the trees were placed on the table without any elevation. Placing accents on the same level would seem boring to me. I guess sameness is a worse enemy than hierarchy of heights and sizes. In other words, in order to avoid symmetry (being on the same level), I opted to elevate accents in some cases, especially if I had appropriate little stands available. In fact, in such cases intuition sometimes is more helpful than the letter of the rules themselves.... Smile)

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down