Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literati Black Pine

5 posters

Go down

Literati Black Pine Empty Literati Black Pine

Post  peter keane Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm spending time wiring this one over the weekend. I have a design in mind. Can you tell me, which trunk line do you like best (granted I have some branch selection to do)?

Literati Black Pine 110
Literati Black Pine 210
Literati Black Pine 310

Last edited by peter keane on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : needed more information)
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Literati Black Pine Empty Re: Literati Black Pine

Post  peter keane Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:14 pm

Here's the pine in it's original planting angle after purchasing it.

Literati Black Pine Dscn2210
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:18 pm

I like the third picture with the little jin showing. Great tree love the base and the taper thanks for posting.
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  luc tran Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:01 am

From what the pictures can tell. the second is the best with a good 3D feel to the tree. the third picture it seems that the tree is leaning away from the viewer.

Luc

luc tran

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Peter, I like your tree and have looked at the photos a few times. This tree is challenging. I like the tension that the third photo shows, but the roots do not support the tree at that angle. The first and third photo - the roots support the lower trunk. I would have to see a 360 before making a decision. What are your thoughts at this point? I think removing the first branch like you did was a good start. Have fun!
Best,Todd

Last edited by Todd Ellis on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:24 pm

The first photo for me. got the best trunk movement. just keep the second branch on the right side and grow it a bit longer ,the back branch on the middle portion and the branch with top canopy...If it were my tree I'll remove the rest of the branches to have a true literati simplicity.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Absolutely the first photo. It has the most natural movement. On the other photos the trunk have some uniform curves that doesn't look natural.

Regards
Morten

Literati Black Pine Pineli11

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:58 pm

wow. after reading the comments, you guys have me thinking....... While studying the tree for purchase, the first image was what I intended for the final design. However, yesterday, I wanted to play with different angles and trunk lines as "what if's".....

As dramatic as the first image is, the things that bother me about it are these: the movement of the trunk is too abrupt. To me, a bunjin should have a gentle flow to it. I don't like the "knee" at (2). The trunks at (3) and (4) are near vertical and horizontal, feeling "static". Additionally, from the soil to the apex, the trunk is two-dimensional - which can't be seen in this photograph. Luc was able to see that in the 3rd image, the apex went backwards.

In the second option, the trunk line is a series of "c" curves, breaking the rules. I don't mind the curves as the trunk line has a nice visual rythmn. There are plenty of examples of trees in nature (and european exhibitions) that have the dreaded "c" curve. The trunk is also three-dimensional in this image (which is hard to see). The 1st part of part of the trunk comes towards the viewer before (2) starts. Although the apex moves towards the wall in (3), it can be bent clockwise to come back to the viewer. This is what I had chosen for my final design.

I may have to graft a shoot at the base of the second branch to develop a compact pad. I'll see how it looks after wiring it out. Thanks guys.... Very Happy

Literati Black Pine 1a10
Literati Black Pine 2a10
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:17 pm

What rules are broken? There are no rules. Just look and decide what looks most natural. As Jun writes, you need the canopy to be light and not too dense. Therefore no need to graft. Keep the foliage pads open and not too heavy as it seems natural supported by the slim trunk.

Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:39 pm

morten albek wrote:What rules are broken? There are no rules. Just look and decide what looks most natural. As Jun writes, you need the canopy to be light and not too dense. Therefore no need to graft. Keep the foliage pads open and not too heavy as it seems natural supported by the slim trunk.

Regards
Morten

This is a classic example of following to much "rules" will make your tree unnatural. Please don't make the easy portion more difficult. Just pull the second branch down further to make the tree looks older. branches right now are over crowded.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Literati Black Pine Empty literati black pine

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:34 pm

MY OPION,,,I like the first view..The bottom back branch bothers me a little..is there not another one highter up??? pull the branches down a little is what i would do....nice tree!! TAKE CARE JOHN

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  luc tran Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:19 am

I just feel that this tree is very feminine and I personally think that the second photo with the 'c' curves display this feminie side the best. I'm excited as to how you work with the tree. Keep us posted.

Luc

luc tran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down