Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anniversary Elm

4 posters

Go down

Anniversary Elm Empty Anniversary Elm

Post  moyogijohn Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:11 pm

This is the tree my wife bought me for our anniversary, what do you think??!----John
Anniversary Elm Bonsai14

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Anniversary Elm Empty Re: Anniversary Elm

Post  JimLewis Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Maybe it's the camera angle, but it looks pregnant. Maybe a few pics from 3-4 other angles would be better.

Again, I would shorten it. Some of those upper branches are much too heavy to be that high in a tree/bonsai.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Anniversary Elm Empty Here our a few views of all the dimensions of the tree, tell me what you think :)

Post  moyogijohn Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:19 pm

The Backside
Anniversary Elm Bonsai17
The Leftside
Anniversary Elm Bonsai18
The Rightside
Anniversary Elm Bonsai19

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Anniversary Elm Empty elm tree

Post  moyogijohn Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:34 pm

JIM,it does have a swell like you said..my daughter put up 3 more sides for you and everyone to check...thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:11 am

Is this pot the same pot that your crepe myrtle is in? Or do you have two of these lovely blue pots? I like the third side photo best; the nebari is better and the "belly" is hidden( at least in the photo). You'll have fun working on this tree! Salut, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:27 am

Happy anniversary John,

may you have more anniversaries to come.
the elm looks great. the nebari is nice. the tall trunk for me i think is ok... i got similar form of elm like yours, after a couple of years the tall trunk fits with the design well...this is just my humble opinion.

Anniversary Elm Dsc_0226

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Anniversary Elm Empty anniversity elm

Post  moyogijohn Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:47 am

TODD, The pot is what the tree came in..I do have 1 more froma tree that passed away..they came from brussels in mississi chinese inport trees.check their web site thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:54 am

JUN,,Thank you for posting.. your trees and landscapes look really great to me ..you have a very good eye in the way you create your bonsai.good work keep posting john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Anniversary Elm Empty Anniversary Elm

Post  moyogijohn Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:08 pm

I moved tthe tree half around this morning..the right side is now the front..JIM,,The belly is now on the back side,i still have to remove two branches that are comming out the now front of the tree.it does look better at least to me..thanks for helping...john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Anniversary Elm Empty RE: after work Elm

Post  moyogijohn Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:04 pm

What do you think about it now??
Anniversary Elm Bonsai10

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Anniversary Elm Empty chinese elm

Post  moyogijohn Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:14 am

This is what the tree looks like now..i had to slip pot it because of the root system..when it fills out next year maybe it will look better..i do hope the pads will fill in.it looks kind of sad right now..thank you all john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:25 am

John,
I thought I would jump in here with some comments on this elm. I am still a novice and I must say your collection is more advance than mine is, most of the stuff I have is nursery stock in training. But I thought I could bring forth my comments just to add some discussion on your tree.

I have indicated a few thing that I feel are important issues to work on to create a better image with the tree. Below I have indicated a contrast in the branch growth, the two lower branches grow downward at a sharp angle, where as all the primary branches above them and all the secondary branches grow upward. It seems contrived as is often the problem with some import stock. I have also indicated an area to possibly cut back to(the thick red lines) where you could then grow more horizontal branch that still has curves and character. Also some wiring on the upper section could help to balance the contrast. Another option would be to aim for a weeping style and you would then need to wire every branch downward, although even the full sized weeping elms I have seen don't droop at such a severe angle as those lower branches.
Anniversary Elm Bonsai10

Another thought that crossed my mind to get rid of the "belly effect" would be to air layer it just above that and turn it into two trees. You could then find a way to utilize the belly in the design or carve it away and turn it into a uro like feature.
Anniversary Elm Bonsai11

Anyway the branch structure ideas were just thing to work on next season, maybe some of the more experienced folks here can embellish on my thoughts and give you some more direction. The airlayering idea is more dependent on where you want to take this tree in the future and how deep you want to get involved with it. All in all I think this tree is nice and has plenty of potential for you to capitalize on.

Todd
P.S. Don't take this is any kind of gospel,as most of my trees are laughable at the moment and I have a long road of learning ahead. These Are just my amateur thoughts.
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:01 pm

First thank you for your comments,,I have thought seriously about pruning the lower branches like you posted.. it would be a good idea i think.. i have not had a air layer to work and i have tried..the branch removeable i can dd and the wireing..food for thought..thanks very much...john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Anniversary Elm Empty aniversity elm per.dready kgb

Post  moyogijohn Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:56 am

AS Was suggest I pruned the bottom branches like dready kgb marked in the picture in red and blue... the tree does look more balenced and next year when i can work on the foliage pads i think it will be a more elm looking tree.i sealed the cuts and it will go into my tiny green house .hope it works for me i think it looks better just not near the foliage it had..thanks for the replys...john in w. va.

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:11 am

John,
do you have a photo of the chopped elm?
they grow fast, within 1 year you gonna have an improved appearance.

regards, Smile
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down