Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit

3 posters

Go down

Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit Empty Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit

Post  bonsaikc Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:32 am

It's always such a pleasure to be involved with the Bay Island Bonsai exhibit. Everyone worked very hard as a team to put together over 70 exhibits with over 100 trees this year.

Great shohin section this year, Thanks to Inge:
Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit P1012149

Here's Scott Elser's western Hemlock that won Best Conifer at the National Exhibit this year. It also won Member's Choice Best Large Conifer at BIB.

Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit P1012215

Watching trees evolve over the years is always a treat. Here's the latest view of Boon's signature tree:

Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit P1012214

I will have many more photos at my blog, as the posting continues!

Last edited by bonsaikc on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
bonsaikc
bonsaikc

Back to top Go down

Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit Empty improving the look of your images

Post  Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi Chris thanks for sharing these great little trees on the forum, it is a shame that the photos are dark but I understand that using a flash is far from satisfactory.

When a digital photograph is made a lot can be done to 'improve' the image. Most photo software comes with contrast and brightness adjustments, along with saturation and colour selection with a little work dark images can be brought to light!

Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit Cj--ju11

Hope you do not mind me tampering you work... its such a great tree!

Back to top Go down

Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit Empty Re: Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit

Post  bonsaikc Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:34 pm

Tony,
Thanks for the edit. With 73 displays, I haven't taken the time to lighten each one, I'm trying to find a way to do them all in a batch.

Chris
bonsaikc
bonsaikc

Back to top Go down

Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit Empty Re: Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit

Post  Walter Pall Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:51 pm

There is a lot more that can be done.

Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit 45507111
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaikc Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:48 pm

Thank you, Walter. Are you using Photoshop?

Chris
bonsaikc
bonsaikc

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:31 pm

Sure Chris,

this is only very superfluous. I think there is even more hiden quality. But it takes some time to be able to handle this. BTW, this is not 'cheating'. I have not touched the tree at all. I only tried to bring out what was in the photograph already.
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaikc Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:02 pm

Walter Pall wrote:Sure Chris,

this is only very superfluous. I think there is even more hiden quality. But it takes some time to be able to handle this. BTW, this is not 'cheating'. I have not touched the tree at all. I only tried to bring out what was in the photograph already.

Please don't misunderstand me. I was not implying anything about "cheating," merely trying to ascertain which photo-editing software you are using.

These photos are not, of course, professional quality. All of the trees in the exhibit have been professionally photographed and will be published as a book in the near future. I have to rush in, drag a tripod and my camera around, and photograph the entire show before the public enters, so as not to be a problem.

Fortunately, there are better photographers around than me!

Chris
bonsaikc
bonsaikc

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaikc Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:07 pm

I just reworked the three photos-merely lightened, cropped, and sharpened just a bit using Picasa 3. Not sure why Boon's tree is cut off on the right, the cropped photo in the web album looks fine.
bonsaikc
bonsaikc

Back to top Go down

Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit Empty my pine display

Post  Eric S. Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:58 pm

This was one of three trees that I had in the BIB exhibit. 10" Japanese Black Pine. The Ume belongs to Janet Roth. Enjoy.

Bay Island Bonsai 10th Anniversary Exhibit Pinedi11

Eric S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down