Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two year anniversary

+4
bonsai monkey
JimLewis
Ian Young
DaveA
8 posters

Go down

Two year anniversary Empty Two year anniversary

Post  DaveA Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Just over two years ago, a friend of mine checked a couple of bonsai books out from the library. During a visit, he and his girlfriend showed me the books, as well as a small collection of local maple seedlings they had started on their porch along with a mallsai juniper. I was immidiately intrigued by the progressions I saw in the books, and loved the small trees they had potted. Before this time, I had never realized bonsai wasn't a particular species of tree. My eyes were opened, and there has been no turning back.

In September of the same year(2008), after having done some reading and research on the internet, I decided to buy my first plants for the purpose of fashioning bonsai. I bought a small juniper from a big DIY store on fall clearance, and also a couple sickly boxwood from a local mom and pop landscape nursery. The boxwood were in poor health, but were quite large and had decent trunk girth from what I could tell. They were pretty large and thick bushes with enormous rootballs that had outgrown thier burlap wraps long ago. I made a lowball offer for the both of, and I think they were just glad to get rid of them at that point in the season.

Now I have over 50 plants, and over 20 varieties. I feel I've been making good progress, and I am really looking forward to the next couple of years when some of these start to look like bonsai.

Here is a progression of one of those very first boxwood that started it all.

After bringing it home and a little bit of thinning (sept 08)
Two year anniversary First_11

close up
Two year anniversary First_12

There was obviously too many branches, and a very thick one was creating major taper issues, so I sawed it off and this was what was left.
Two year anniversary Choppe10

I then planted it out for the winter. In spring I dug it up and reduced the roots, and trimmed a bunch more branches. The large stub from the original branch had rotted and would need carving in the future. In the mean time I was attempting to chase foliage back along the remaining branches. Guy wires were added to begin shaping for the future.
Two year anniversary 101_1310

Some shots from last fall (09)
Two year anniversary Fall0910
Two year anniversary Back_f10

March 2010
Two year anniversary 100_0010

Again after pruning in May
Two year anniversary 100_0110

Now, as it is today after a final summer pruning. It will get a full cleaning and pruning in fall before it goes into storage, and is getting its first bonsai container in the spring of 2011.
Two year anniversary 7_27_210
Two year anniversary 7_27_211

Thanks for looking

Dave

Dave

DaveA

Back to top Go down

Two year anniversary Empty Two year anniversary

Post  Guest Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:25 pm

Happy aniversary Dave. The Box is looking good and nice progress shots. Look forward to seeing it potted up. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Two year anniversary Empty Re: Two year anniversary

Post  Ian Young Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Dave,

Wish my first attempts were as good. I had a special place in the garden where I would hide my disasters out of sight until they either died or recovered Laughing

Keep up the good work.
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveA Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:36 am

ok, cleaned up a bit and pruned...

Two year anniversary 100_0310

DaveA

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:35 am

Hello Dave. A very good development in a short space of time. How tall is this Box?

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Good job. I find it interesting how your eye improved as you patiently worked on the boxwood. Slowly, the most awkward branches disappeared. What's left is going to be a nice little ?? bonsai. How large is it now?

Keep it up
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Cracking little Box Dave.
I hope that I can do half as good a job on my Buxus as you have done on yours.

Super job & thanks for sharing,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:42 am

Nice work so far. Since it is the 2 year anniversary, time to chop to the two main branches. I suggest cutting off the middle upright branch as in this virtual.

Boxwoods look good in white pots.

Two year anniversary Virtua10
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:55 am

(RE: Dave,

Wish my first attempts were as good. I had a special place in the garden where I would hide my disasters out of sight until they either died or recovered )

You could start a new topic called "Closet Bonsai - or ...If you only knew...!" Razz
Todd

Last edited by Todd Ellis on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : after thought...)
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:59 am

I think you have a nice Boxwood in the making and have a knack for branch selection! You seemto be a natural!
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Two year anniversary Empty Two Year Anniversary

Post  bonsaisr Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Dave is one of the most talented members of Bonsai Club of Central NY. We are very proud of him. As Todd said, he is a natural. thumbs up
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveA Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks to everyone for the kind and encouraging words. Rob, thanks for the virt it looks real good and I love the pot choice. For now though, I am working the otherside as a front because the apex leans that way. For all those who were wondering, this boxwood measures in at 12" tall from the soil line. Thanks again.

Dave

DaveA

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveA Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:25 pm

Worked the roots down enough to get into this training pot for further development. I was able to remove three big roots that were wrapped around and "strangling" the trunk.

Dave

Two year anniversary Img_0010

DaveA

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:12 pm

The tree is comming along great. It just has that "believeable" look of a natural tree.

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:42 pm

Happy anniversary Dave!

I like the natural appeal of your tree, Robs future design on your tree is perfect and very achievable.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down