Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tree Rings

4 posters

Go down

Tree Rings Empty Tree Rings

Post  Marty Weiser Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:05 pm

I thought it was rather obvious when they paved around this tree that came down in the nasty wind storm we had a couple of weeks ago. I didn't lose anything other than a few 20 year old fence posts that will have to be replaced in the spring, but there were many, many trees blown down and over 200K customers without power for hours to well over a week.

Tree Rings Treeri12

Tree Rings Treeri13

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Tree Rings Empty Re: Tree Rings

Post  DougB Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:40 pm

Ah yes time to make display slabs. Glad damage was light. Have a Blessed Christmas.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:52 am

Ineresting set of rings!

It looks as though the summers were wetter and wetter from early in this tree's life, and then abrubtly the rings became much smaller. It could be that suddenly the summers were very dry and the tree produced two rings per year, or it got pruned hard. Since you mention it, did it get paved around about 11 years ago?
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:29 am

This was a fairly large pine (12 inch, 30 cm or so trunk). It was located between a paved walkway and a parking lot. I seem to recall one or both being expanded in the early 2000s which would have dramatically reduced the tree's access to water and ability to grow.

Does anyone have a nice example from a tree you grew in the field for several years and then transferred to a pot for refinement?

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:36 am

Marty,

is this what you were asking for?

Not a field, a growing trough and I can update to a Bonsai pot with a drawing for the future.
Tamarind.
From a seedling, and now over 30 years of age. Has flowered and fruited.
Laters.
Khaimraj

Tree Rings Tamari10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:40 pm

Actually I was looking for the cut off branch to see the change in the growth rings. Neat tree and I like to grow from seedlings as well so I can see the development over the years and also get a nice flaring root system.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down