Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings

+19
Brett Summers
AndyRutledge
cram
GerhardGerber
jrodriguez
stavros
simon
Zaratul
Bolas
Nick D
Jaco Kriek
Ravi Kiran
jonathan e
Todd Ellis
DougDT
Jerry Meislik
Mario Stefano
Khaimraj Seepersad
Rob Kempinski
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings  Empty my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi IBC.
..I am a fan of lord of the rings movie. and I was so inspired by the powerful image of the "Ents"-the ancient walking guardian trees of the forest, I decided to create one of my own.

my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings  Dsc_1517

the two feet
my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings  Dsc_1520

regards,
jun pirat

Back to top Go down

my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings  Empty Re: my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Good idea but you might want to stick to two legs.

Where do you get "Ent Wash?"
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings  Empty Re: my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Jun,

2 legs and -- 2 arms - 1 head with hair - this isn't a monster.
A for effort. I hope your interest in the piece lasts. chuckle.
Shaking hands with Mr.N.Lenz ?
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Excellent Jun!
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:53 pm

Rob thanks.
I need the extra roots for now to build up some muscle definitions on the legs and the biceps of the "Ents".
il remove some roots later. leave one hanging probably between the legs.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:08 pm

Khaimraj,

thanks.

regards,
jun Very Happy

Mario,

thanks.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Jun,
Well on the way to walking out the door!
Jerry
www.bonsaihunk.us
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Jun,

if I might be so bold. I am seeing a great deal of creativity in your work. Might I suggest you try your hand at oil painting or stone / wood sculpture. I would further suggest realism, and I suspect you would probably move on naturally to imaginative idealism.
Just a suggestion.
Khaimraj

* Oh and I don't think you need to title your creations, the onlooker should be left to contemplate it .
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:17 pm

Jerry,

....and into the forest to kick some Orcs butt.,, now where are those two Hobbits who need a piggy back ride.

Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks for the compliment Khaimraj.

Back to top Go down

Post  DougDT Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Someone mentioned Nick Lenz
Here is a Larch he's been working on. I photographed it last Spring.
It makes me laugh every time I see it I hope it makes you smile also.

I like your Ent, and your free spirited styling.
my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings  P4241410

DougDT

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 pm

I like your vision, Jun. I am fond of this kind of imagery. I often see "Geisha" images in trees. I like the Hobbit series too! I am working on some dragon forms and hope to create a dragon on a stone with a large cave- image next Spring. Very Happy
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:10 pm

Looks like walking is a favorite bonsai activity.
Jerry
www.bonsaihunk.us
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:09 pm

DougDT,

thanks. Nick's tree seems to be walking too,.

regards,
jun

Todd,

thanks. I got a dragon too, but no carving just the natural hard wood... Il post it for you later. its actually a pregnant dragon. dragon is for goodluck/authority in chinese, so I assume pregnant dragon is for double luck. then I can sell it in ebay hehehe. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

regards,
jun

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan e Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:13 am

Great beginnings! I always love to see people taking bold steps with bonsai. This represents refreshing progress from traditional bonsai styling. Can it be taken farther? Probably. The tree looks kind of static as is. Maybe a change in planting angle, or greater asymmetry to the branching would give it more 'walking' movement. Thanks for showing this to us.

-jonathan

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:02 am

Thanks Jonathan.
this is still a work in progress (as all bonsai do). the general objective though is to create an ancient tree with lots of dangling roots from the body and arms. which resemble a walking Ent. btw this is a fun project to work with...as most of my trees. I also got lots of boring trees...just in case I need them.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings  Empty That's one awesome tree

Post  Ravi Kiran Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:09 am

Hi Jun,

A truly exceptional tree. I really liked it very much. Thanks for another good example of the fact that you can have beautiful trees without sticking to the traditional moulds of styles.

One quick thought though. In the first pic that you have posted I see that there are two areal roots on the left branch which would go on to greatly enhance the beauty of the tree when they take root and thicken. For that to happen you need a pot which is wide enough to let these areal roots to touch the soil. Would you want to do that??

Regards
Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaco Kriek Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:46 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings  Stick_10
Jaco Kriek
Jaco Kriek

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:44 am

Ravi,
thanks for the encouraging words. Im glad you like unconventional ways on trees.
with regards to the aerial roots, actually there are more than five on the left branch. and almost all other major branch have them too, including some more on the trunk. Instead of a pot for the extra roots. Im planning to transfer the tree without removing it in the existing pot in a wider pot, just beyond the span of the longest branch. the reason for this is that the root system should stay as they were now and not to over expand the flare of the nebari...I hope I said it clearly. Rolling Eyes

regards,
jun.

Jaco,

dont you think my tree needs clothes too? Smile Smile
but not the red and yellow please...something old perhaps.

thanks.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:40 pm

Jaco Kriek wrote: Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Great idea, wonder why Nick Lenz didn't think of it.

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:
Jaco Kriek wrote: Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Great idea, wonder why Nick Lenz didn't think of it.

.....Probably Nick Lenz wanted a different color too. Cool

Back to top Go down

my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings  Empty I have thought about this for some time.

Post  Nick D Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:49 pm

My favourite film series is the Lord of the rings trilogy, I remember the feeling of achievement having read the three books. I also paint fantasy figures and painted Games Workshop “fellowship of the ring”. Since taking up Bonsai 15years ago I have often thought about making a Living model of an Ent. I am still in the process of identifying a process to growing one.

For those who do not know what an Ent is : Ents are a fictional race of beings who closely resemble trees from J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy world of Middle-earth. They appear to have been inspired by the talking trees of many of the world's folkloresThe word "Ent" was taken from the Anglo-Saxon (Old English) word ent, meaning "giant". Tolkien borrowed the word from the Anglo-Saxon phrases orþanc enta geweorc = "work of cunning giants" and eald enta geweorc = "old work of giants" (describing Roman ruins).[citation needed] In this sense, Ents are probably the most ubiquitous of all creatures in fantasy and folklore, perhaps second only to dragons; for the word can refer to a variety of large, roughly humanoid creatures, such as giants, trolls, orcs, or even the monster Grendel from the poem Beowulf.

For a groop planting the theme of an Entmoot (meeting to discuss what to do).
Or walk of the ents

So how to go about creating an Ent?
There are various options I have thought about
1. To split a trunk into two legs and rootfeet. This will take a long while to heal up.
2. Find a tree with two air roots or trunks this may take a long while I have a weedy one fron a poor air layering.
3. To grow one from a tree or hedge legs, arms. Air layer the legs. Then remove the new Ent as the union to the adult is in the groin area the scaring will be reduced.

There are various models of Merry and Pippen that could be added.

Simon Temblett has also ideas about this topic but as I am new to the club I have not been able to find his post or upload pictures. he has tattoed faces on trees and as they heal they look remarkable.

Great tree Jun

nick D

A side line to this is an environmental Ent in the pose nelt down arms up as in the image from the film Platoon, with wire tethering his arms to the earth the scroll could be Just the word WHY! I would play music in the back ground (Barbers Angs Dei).

Nick D

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:45 pm

a fellow fan.

thanks for the info Nick.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bolas Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Now is for sure Ent
my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings  P4241410
Bolas
Bolas

Back to top Go down

my "Ents" tree from lord of the rings  Empty Great!

Post  Zaratul Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:46 am

Great work! I could imagine the tree walking towards the two towers!
Zaratul
Zaratul

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next