Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First time collecting a wild tree. Have some questions about this tree..

2 posters

Go down

First time collecting a wild tree. Have some questions about this tree.. Empty First time collecting a wild tree. Have some questions about this tree..

Post  Lexus Mon May 06, 2013 4:31 am

Hey there!

I have collected a tree based on its unique features. It has a dead top and new growth coming out of the bottom. I have left the dead wood on the top for the time being untill I decide what I want to do with it... Any idea of what kind of tree this is? I live in British Columbia Canada in a fairly dry climate. At the moment I have the tree sitting in a tub of water ( I collected it today). Should I put it in a large pot immediately? I am relatively new to bonsai's and this is my first wild tree. Any help would be awesome as I am unsure what the next step is.

I can take more specific pictures if requested, here it is for now..

https://imgur.com/poRKfEQ

Last edited by Lexus on Mon May 06, 2013 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Lexus

Back to top Go down

First time collecting a wild tree. Have some questions about this tree.. Empty Re: First time collecting a wild tree. Have some questions about this tree..

Post  Lexus Mon May 06, 2013 4:37 am

Here are a couple of its current situation. The main trunk is dead after the last branch that you can see in the pictures.

https://i.imgur.com/JP8d4Ym.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kcXu0sr.jpg

Lexus

Back to top Go down

First time collecting a wild tree. Have some questions about this tree.. Empty Re: First time collecting a wild tree. Have some questions about this tree..

Post  PeacefulAres Mon May 06, 2013 4:51 am

It looks like a crab apple to me, but that is a shot in the dark. You should cut that big dead piece back to a nub, if only to make the tree less unwieldy.

BTW, why is it in a tub of water?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Lexus Mon May 06, 2013 8:31 am

PeacefulAres wrote:It looks like a crab apple to me, but that is a shot in the dark. You should cut that big dead piece back to a nub, if only to make the tree less unwieldy.

It was looking wilted, figured the roots could use a good soak before i get something to stick it in..

Anyone have Any suggestions as how to proceed? Also what the identity of the plant is?

Lexus

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Mon May 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Lexus wrote:
PeacefulAres wrote:It looks like a crab apple to me, but that is a shot in the dark. You should cut that big dead piece back to a nub, if only to make the tree less unwieldy.

It was looking wilted, figured the roots could use a good soak before i get something to stick it in..

Anyone have Any suggestions as how to proceed? Also what the identity of the plant is?

Has it been potted yet?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Lexus Tue May 07, 2013 12:22 am

Yesm I built a 16x24 inch box with good drainage and got a good mix of soil going to add to the drainage... I guess time will tell now.

Lexus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down