Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trends on asian pots

+7
JimLewis
William N. Valavanis
reddog
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
jgeanangel
Khaimraj Seepersad
dick benbow
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

trends on asian pots - Page 2 Empty Re: trends on asian pots

Post  kora Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:21 am

Yes, Dick, I do agree with David's premise whole heartedly. I would however like to say that in the past-say about 80 or more so years ago, it frequently was about the pot, and not about the tree-one only has to look at some of the examples of the Imperial pots, it was not necessarily about ostentation(that is after all not the Japanese way) but it was about value of a pot-say an antique Chinese pot(one recently sold at almost 1 million USD.)It was frequently about showing off, just like stands-but that is another post. Choosing the "right" pot is such a complex problem-it is beyond shape, size,detail-such as lip, feet, design, color. I have frequently returned from Japan with pots, that I deemed "perfect" for a specific tree, only to reject it upon my return and placing it on my sales table-but I keep trying, that is why I always seem to have some pots for sale!

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:05 pm

always appreciare your contributions, thanks Kora...Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  juniper07 Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:59 pm

Dick,

Along with using the pots for bonsai, there are people like me who actually collect them for the shear beauty, rarity, and quality. Unfortunately, the price of pots are proportional to these three qualities and in most cases one has to wait until he saves enough, or have deep pockets.

To answer your question, I love Japanese pots more because there are/were so many potters who made them. Although Western pottery is much newer, some Western potters have achieved that exceptional quality and beauty that I would love to get in my collections (I do have some though). Then there are Chinese pots that have been around for years, and are highly collectible (I love them too).

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter where the pot comes from; for a unbiased collector, if a pot falls in the three categories mentioned above, then it's worth collecting. Paying an 'arm and a leg' for it is a whole different craziness that collectors go through; I realized the craziness first-hand when I purchased a Tsukinowa pot last year.

juniper07
juniper07

Back to top Go down

trends on asian pots - Page 2 Empty Yusen

Post  reddog Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:32 pm

I agree about the collection of Asian ceramics.  perhaps some day I may be able to purchase a Tsukinowa Yusen pot.  If you don't mind I would love to see your Yusen container.  Heian Kouzan and Tofokuji Sr. are two other favorites of mine.
juniper07 wrote:Dick,

Along with using the pots for bonsai, there are people like me who actually collect them for the shear beauty, rarity, and quality. Unfortunately, the price of pots are proportional to these three qualities and in most cases one has to wait until he saves enough, or have deep pockets.

To answer your question, I love Japanese pots more because there are/were so many potters who made them. Although Western pottery is much newer, some Western potters have achieved that exceptional quality and beauty that I would love to get in my collections (I do have some though). Then there are Chinese pots that have been around for years, and are highly collectible (I love them too).

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter where the pot comes from; for a unbiased collector, if a pot falls in the three categories mentioned above, then it's worth collecting. Paying an 'arm and a leg' for it is a whole different craziness that collectors go through; I realized the craziness first-hand when I purchased a Tsukinowa pot last year.

reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  immAGinoso Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:26 am

I love contemporary Japanese and traditional Chinese Bonsai pots...

Just curious... who are the five best potters in Tokoname right now?

immAGinoso

Back to top Go down

Post  kora Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:48 am

As I go to Tokoname frequently, I would say the best potters right now would be: Gyozan and Yuuji, Ikkou Watenabe; Koyo family-father son and wife of son, Reiho-not necessarily in that order- but there are others, that I am not familiar with- i.e. I don't know them personally, have however some of their pots: Maruhei and Shibakatsu come to mind-both kilns produce wonderful pots! Gyozan frequently displays his pots on facebook. Yuuji only occasionally makes custom pots. Koyo (the kiln is also known as Aiba) family make wonderful pots-their glazes are legendary.

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2