Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

+57
Roger Snipes
moyogijohn
stavros
eric sanders
Dave Martin
Sheila Becker
ybonsai
santi
Viriato Oliveira
bontailo
Jesse
Neil Jaeger
Lone
robert hill
Brett Summers
Peter E.
fiona
kauaibonsai
LANCE
DreadyKGB
gman
Mike Jones
jonathan e
Bugeye
irene_b
Marija Hajdic
Andrija Zokic
wabashene
Paul B (Scotland)
Rob Kempinski
bonsai monkey
aRodas
Martin S
Jonny D
my nellie
Peter Adams
Fuzzy
Dustin Mann
Curtis
Kev Bailey
Nik Rozman
peter krebs
mehrdadchavosh
Eric Newton
Seth Ellwood
Pavel Slovák
bobby little
Mario Stefano
Justin Hervey
NeilDellinger
waway
Stone Monkey
Jim Doiron
Harleyrider
bigsteve
leonardo
Carolee
61 posters

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 5 Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:48 pm

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 5 Img_0524

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 5 Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:38 pm

Why can't I stop? I want to go and find some more of these but I have no room. I've had no room for years but every year I get more and more. I've thought to myself " be ruthless Will, sell some!!" I put them to the side and then put them back...... Am I O.C.D or what?

Back to top Go down

Post  bigsteve Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:47 pm

will baddeley wrote:Why can't I stop? I want to go and find some more of these but I have no room. I've had no room for years but every year I get more and more. I've thought to myself " be ruthless Will, sell some!!" I put them to the side and then put them back...... Am I O.C.D or what?
you definately need to sell some Will (hint) hahseriously i know a few bonsai people who have a similar affliction
to my mind what you need to think is - if i enjoy it and i you are progressing the trees and they are not being neglected then why stop!
bigsteve
bigsteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:03 pm

Its just, after 12 years, my love of all things bonsai has got stronger and stronger. Not only do I look like Gollum, I am also behaving like him.....My preciousssssss.

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:03 am

Ha ha! Will, You and I have a similar "problem" You are not OCD. Work hard on staying in denial, its a happier place.

Now, I am not only looking for my bovine friends munching on little trees, but I am looking for the farmer mowing his ditches! New territory must be found ASAP! Precioussssss is calling!

Great raft! I am on the look out now. My spade is in the trunk of my car.

I need to send you pictures of some of the hackberry growing in fence rows here........they lie within the magic collecting zone 25 ft from the road and as such are fair game. Often they are growing around the wire though. This means the fence must be cut.....now something farmers are happy to allow.

Keep going, as long as your happy, sell or dont sell, doesnt matter.
Neil

Very Happy Very Happy

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:15 pm

Neil. Good luck with the Hackberrys, cant wait to see them!! Good to know there are many like minded mentalists out there, just a shame your so far away.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dustin Mann Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:32 am

Will' Just saw your 3 Elms from Jim Lewis's post link. Just fantastic. I was most taken by third one(Slanted with holes,deadwood) That tree should be in Bonsai Focus or masterpiece book. It is at that next level of refinement of tertiary branchlets, continued leaf reduction where difficult to tell species by leaf at a distance(is that a premma?no privet? olive?boxwood?- oh it's an Elm!!) I thank you again Will. Dustin Mann

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:43 pm

I need to send you pictures of some of the hackberry growing in fence rows here........they lie within the magic collecting zone 25 ft from the road and as such are fair game.

Does anyone know if there is a similar 'rule' here in the UK?
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:53 pm

Harleyrider wrote:
I need to send you pictures of some of the hackberry growing in fence rows here........they lie within the magic collecting zone 25 ft from the road and as such are fair game.

Does anyone know if there is a similar 'rule' here in the UK?
No dice I'm afraid. There's many a tree spotted by the side of the road but permission must be sought.
Thanks for the very kind words Dustin.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Hey Will
I think we have an English Kimura in our midst. Care to share your secret carving technique? I honestly thought that the deadwood was natural……Stunning work.

Russ. Smile
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:30 am

Hello Fuzzy. There are no secrets to my carving technique, just practice, practice, practice! Study the deadwood in the woods around you. P hotograph, draw and copy. There are a multitude of tools, electric and hand, at your disposal. I will post some more detailed work in the near future. There is also a Yew I recently posted on this forum, the topic was .. changing some carving.

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 5 Empty you showed me yours, I'll show you mine

Post  Peter Adams Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:29 pm

That English Elm raft reminds me of the trident maple raft I developed over so many years in UK.
This elm has much potential and will make a great native image too. On a sentimental note, its good to see native elm images resurrected as bonsai. Terrific and really good work too.

Regards
Peter Adams

Peter Adams

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Peter Adams wrote:That English Elm raft reminds me of the trident maple raft I developed over so many years in UK.
This elm has much potential and will make a great native image too. On a sentimental note, its good to see native elm images resurrected as bonsai. Terrific and really good work too.

Regards
Peter Adams

Hi Peter great to 'see' you here, a lot of the UK members only work on native material. Much inspired by your early teachings.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:59 pm

Peter Adams wrote:That English Elm raft reminds me of the trident maple raft I developed over so many years in UK.

Regards
Peter Adams
Thanks Peter, that really means a lot to me. I LOVE English Elms and native trees. As Tony says, it's great to have you posting here. One favour to ask. Any chance you could draw the raft as a future image. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:43 am

Spring photo's taken today. First the semi cascade.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 5 Img_0311

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:47 am

And the carved Elm. I love the fresh green this time of year. You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 5 Icon_biggrin You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 5 Img_0312

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Exciting!
The pot complements so very well the carved elm!
Congratulations!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:08 pm

will baddeley wrote:And the carved Elm. I love the fresh green this time of year.

Wonderful, I enjoy to watch!
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny D Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi Will,

Your two Emls are looking fatastic, its a great time of year to watch leaves 'unfurl'.

Both of your elms are further on than mine, this leaves are only just starting to come out on mine, are yours overwintered in a green house?

Here's a picture of my English Elm in its naked state:

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 5 Mar_1010

Jonny.

Jonny D

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin S Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:09 pm

WOW Shocked
Veeeeryyyy nice elms!
M

Martin S

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:53 pm

Helo Johny D. Love the ramification on your Elms. Is it all one or separate trees? All my trees live outdoors all year round. It's just been very warm here of late.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny D Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:01 am

Hi Will,

All mine are outdoors all year as well, must just be a slight variatioin between the climates in the north and south of the country and local conditions.

My elm is actually a raft, i.e.: all one tree.

If you have Bonsai Europe / Focus issue no. 84 there is a picture of the tree in leaf on exhibt at Newstead 2 in September 06 and you can see the raft section clearly.

They are definatley a fantastic species to work with.

Jonny.

Jonny D

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:18 am

Jonny D wrote:Hi Will,

All mine are outdoors all year as well, must just be a slight variatioin between the climates in the north and south of the country and local conditions.

My elm is actually a raft, i.e.: all one tree.

If you have Bonsai Europe / Focus issue no. 84 there is a picture of the tree in leaf on exhibt at Newstead 2 in September 06 and you can see the raft section clearly.

They are definatley a fantastic species to work with.

Jonny.

One of the best of our native species, in my opinion. You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 5 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  aRodas Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:35 am

Incredibles trees, the carved elm is my favorite,how do you treat that wood in deciduous trees? thanks.
aRodas
aRodas

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:50 am

aRodas wrote:Incredibles trees, the carved elm is my favorite,how do you treat that wood in deciduous trees? thanks.

Hello aRodas The deadwood is treated yearly with a product called Ronseal wet rot wood hardener. It is a clear spirit based resin. Apply it carefully with a paint brush and because it is spirit based, it will soak quite deeply. When dry, it goes shiny but after a few waterings this dissapears. I also use Teak oil once in a while.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next