Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Green island ficus

4 posters

Go down

Green island ficus Empty Green island ficus

Post  rrubberbandman Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:53 pm

Hello,
Its been a while since i have been on here....
I am struggling with the vigor of "green island ficus"
And was wondering if someone could tell me from exp. what type of sun exposure does them best?
Also how often should one fertilize a green island ficus?
Thanks!
Bryan in Va.

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Green island ficus Empty Sun and feeding

Post  lennard Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:20 pm

rrubberbandman wrote:
And was wondering if someone could tell me from exp. what type of sun exposure does them best?
Also how often should one fertilize a green island ficus?

All Ficus species grown as bonsai do best if you can give them full sunlight for the whole day. Even here in sunny South Africa I grow mine in full sunlight - even when the sun is at its hottest in December.

In theory it is best to feed every time you water at recommended fertilizer strength.

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Green island ficus Empty Green Island fig

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:30 pm

'Green Island' is a cultivar of Ficus microcarpa. In your location I would follow the standard practice of feeding weekly.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Green island ficus Empty Re: Green island ficus

Post  rrubberbandman Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks everyone....Whats your opinion on a slow release granular sprinkled on top of soil for feeding purposes?
Bryan

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  KennedyMarx Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:21 am

The time release fertilizer pellets can be very variable as to how much and how fast they leech nutrients into the soil. It has to due with watering frequency and the temperature. I quit using them. I read that Adam Lavigne uses Milorganite on all of his plants so I started using that plus a weekly liquid diluted fertilizer. It's usually Dynagro Foliage Pro, but I've used a couple other odds and ends that I've been looking to use up. Only one of my ficus is a green island, but it seems to like it.
KennedyMarx
KennedyMarx

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:00 pm

KennedyMarx wrote:The time release fertilizer pellets can be very variable as to how much and how fast they leech nutrients into the soil. It has to due with watering frequency and the temperature. I quit using them. I read that Adam Lavigne uses Milorganite on all of his plants so I started using that plus a weekly liquid diluted fertilizer. It's usually Dynagro Foliage Pro, but I've used a couple other odds and ends that I've been looking to use up. Only one of my ficus is a green island, but it seems to like it.
Thanks!

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down