Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Green Island Ficus

4 posters

Go down

Green Island Ficus Empty Green Island Ficus

Post  ydde72183 Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:59 pm

This is my new one. All the info online about green island describe their care as being the same as just the regular ficus microcarpa. Is there really any difference with this variety? also included a future plan.

Green Island Ficus Img_5510

Green Island Ficus Img_5511
ydde72183
ydde72183

Back to top Go down

Green Island Ficus Empty Green Island Ficus

Post  bonsaisr Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:12 am

Are you sure it is 'Green Island?' Pictures I've seen show leaves with a blunter rounder tip.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Green Island Ficus Empty Green Island

Post  Sagi Baron Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:32 pm

The tree is ‘Green Island’. Generally you treat them as you do with ‘Microcarpa’ only they are more sensitive in extreme conditions. For example they tend to drop leaves and get extensive die back in low temperatures much earlier than other figs.
Sagi Baron
Sagi Baron

Back to top Go down

Green Island Ficus Empty Green Island Fig

Post  Dustin Mann Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:20 pm

There are 2 types of leaf forms on Green Island. There is more oval type and more eliptical type. Yours is the latter. They are called by many names depending upon locale.(Long Island,Green Emerald,Crassifolia) I have grown both types about 15yrs. In my experience, your type has slightly tighter innernodes. When cutting them back both types do not break back in as many directions as other Microcarpa. The new growth will form in direction of cut,however other new growth off that sub-branch does not keep breaking in opposite direction(because it is origionally a ground cover/hedge ??) Also, my experience(Greenhouse-massive humidity) the tree produces aerial roots that grip the trunk/branches non-stop. Dustin Mann

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Green Island Ficus Empty Re: Green Island Ficus

Post  ydde72183 Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:33 pm

Thank you everyone. Very helpful!
ydde72183
ydde72183

Back to top Go down

Green Island Ficus Empty Re: Green Island Ficus

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down