Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island'

+4
Todd Ellis
Russell Coker
Billy M. Rhodes
Ryan
8 posters

Go down

Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island' Empty Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island'

Post  Ryan Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:31 am

Hey everyone,

I was curious as to if anyone has experience with Ficus m. 'Green Island'. I can't find much information on the web about how well they backbud. I did find, however, that they are slow growing, but I also found on another site that they are fast growing. Would it be safe to cut a Green Island back to no green growth, or must green growth be left on a branch? Thanks for any responses!

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island' Empty Re: Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island'

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:49 am

Location, location, location.

Here in Florida, Green Island is as reliable as Willow Leaf, but I don't know about Virginia.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:01 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:Location, location, location.

Here in Florida, Green Island is as reliable as Willow Leaf, but I don't know about Virginia.

And I sure wouldn't do it now unless you have a good greenhouse or grow light operation going. I'd wait until it was outside in hot weather going into the longest days of summer - just to be on the safe side.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:24 pm

Thank you both. So if I was able to keep it in a humid, well lit area it would do well? I keep seeing conflicting information about them. Some sites say treat them like microcarpa, some say they're completely different. What I would like to know is whether or not you can take it back to a stump with no green, but then again, I guess that depends on where it's growing.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi Ryan,
I wouldn't take it back to "no green". Grow it for a good year to see how vigorous it is growing. I have a large grafted one: green Isle grafted onto large under stock. It does well indoors during the cold wather near a bright window on a tray of gravel. I grow it outside under a covered deck which gets approx four hours of sunlight (through the tall trees in the yard). It grows well and only loses a few leaves when it comes back indoors. I have had this tree for about five years and defoliated it last year. This slowed down its growth. It you are trying to grow out your tree I wouldn't defoliate until you are ready to work on ramification. I live in the foothills/Piedmont near Charlottesville, VA
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:Hi Ryan,
I wouldn't take it back to "no green". Grow it for a good year to see how vigorous it is growing. I have a large grafted one: green Isle grafted onto large under stock. It does well indoors during the cold wather near a bright window on a tray of gravel. I grow it outside under a covered deck which gets approx four hours of sunlight (through the tall trees in the yard). It grows well and only loses a few leaves when it comes back indoors. I have had this tree for about five years and defoliated it last year. This slowed down its growth. It you are trying to grow out your tree I wouldn't defoliate until you are ready to work on ramification. I live in the foothills/Piedmont near Charlottesville, VA
Best,
Todd

Thanks Todd. I'm debating whether or not to buy a tree with a 3 inch trunk for $50. Problem is that the growth is more out toward the ends of the branches. I dunno whether or not to go for it due to trunk size.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:21 am

If it has long branches, then bend them back toward the trunk and approach graft them to get growth close to the trunk.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:58 am

bucknbonsai wrote:If it has long branches, then bend them back toward the trunk and approach graft them to get growth close to the trunk.

Again speaking from Florida, this seems like a lot of trouble for a tree that backbuds and grows so readily.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:20 pm

It's impatience, Billy.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks everyone, I passed up on the tree.

JimLewis wrote:It's impatience, Billy.

Sure.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Hmm, 3" trunk for $50 doesn't sound unreasonable, unless the trunk is badly shaped and/or lacks decent roots. Where can I find this specimen? Wink
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:59 pm

coh wrote:Hmm, 3" trunk for $50 doesn't sound unreasonable, unless the trunk is badly shaped and/or lacks decent roots. Where can I find this specimen? Wink

Nope, the trunk is fine. The branches are my only concern. I'm still thinking....

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:39 pm

they back bud fine if you have the right time of year and your conditions are allowing vigorous growth here is one I have witch is still in training and any suggestions are welcome next year I think I might shorten the canopy oh and there is another similar species that has rounder leaves not to be confused with ginseng ficus
Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island' Ficus002
Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island' Ficus013-1
Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island' Ficus017-1
After 2 months...........
Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island' Ficus013
Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island' Ficus015
Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island' Ficus011
Here's a pic of the other species I have a couple small rooted cuttings if anyone would like to try it out
Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island' Ficus017
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down