Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

airlayer carpinus

+7
marie1uk
AnjaM
Michael Cooper
Dave Murphy
MKBonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
JimLewis
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

airlayer carpinus Empty airlayer carpinus

Post  leatherback Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:38 am

Hi,

in april I started an air layer of Carpinus Betulus, about 5cm / 2 inch diameter branch.

Yesterday I checked, and no roots to be seen. A lot of callus, maybe 1cm thich (2/5 inch) all around, not bridging the wound.

I did notice a lot of woodlouse on/around the spaghnum.

With summer running down fast, I was wodnering what the best approach would be now; Howcan I stuimulate root growth? Would it be best to cut a sliver of the callus and repack?
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

airlayer carpinus Empty Re: airlayer carpinus

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:27 pm

I've never worked with C. betulus, but smooth-barked trees often are a bit slow in layering. If you don't get roots by early fall, you may have to give it protection from hard freezes (but still cold enough for dormancy) and wait for spring to roll around. Then hope.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:29 pm

JimLewis wrote:I've never worked with C. betulus, but smooth-barked trees often are a bit slow in layering.  If you don't get roots by early fall, you may have to give it protection from hard freezes (but still cold enough for dormancy) and wait for spring to roll around.  Then hope.  

Shocked 
Hope not that it takes to winter. The tree is along a main rode in the city. No way it will be left alone over winter, when the foliage drops and airlayer-contraptions become visible Sad
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:09 pm

leatherback wrote:The tree is along a main rode in the city. No way it will be left alone over winter, when the foliage drops and airlayer-contraptions become visible Sad

PIRATE BONSAI !!!  pirat 

right on !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:27 am

beer city snake wrote:PIRATE BONSAI !!!  pirat right on !
 Evil or Very Mad 
All legal. But well.. Innocent passersby might not realize what it is, and remove plastic from the plant..
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  MKBonsai Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:00 am

I would clean up the air layer, re-scrape the area where the bark has been removed, remove some of the callus. make some (half a dozen or so) holes in and around the callus using a 3mm drill bit, apply some rooting hormone powder to the drill holes, repack the layering with fresh moss and wrap it snugly with clingfilm and water the air layer with water infused with hormone rooting powder - and, hopefully see some roots by October. Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works out, as it all helps everyone's knowledge.
MKBonsai
MKBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:39 pm

leatherback wrote:Innocent passersby might not realize what it is, and remove plastic from the plant..

maybe hide it plain sight...
wrap some orange tape around it and put an official looking "do not disturb" tag on the trunk  Wink 
(a door hanger from a hotel might work  Laughing )
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:33 am

Last night I went and checked on the layer

cheers 

One root was visible against the plastic! So.. Later this week I will go with some clippers, and start reducing the overly long branches, and give it another week of two to recover from the haircut. Then separate the layer Very Happy
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:25 pm

Can't you wait? One visible root doesn't seem to indicate there will be enough root to support the chopped-off layering. It has been safe so far, leave it alone until the last minute. Start thinking where you will keep the separated tree for winter protection.

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Don't reduce anything. Every leaf above the layer is contributing to the formation of new roots. Leave it alone until you separate it.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:24 pm

JimLewis wrote:Can't you wait?  One visible  root doesn't seem to indicate there will be enough root to support the chopped-off layering.  It has been safe so far, leave it alone until the last minute.  Start thinking where you will keep the separated tree for winter protection.

Not sure when they will start their late-summer trimming of hedgerows in the area, or whether they will this year.. Think..:

1:38

Not much can withstand that sort of treatment. Two weeks ago the first roots were poking under the moss. Now the first root is at least 4 inches. With another 2 weeks it should be getting decent? No? (Never airlayered carpinus; I did some jap. maples an they have thrived, even though the roots were small when I removed them earlier this year)
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Cooper Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:12 pm

leatherback wrote:
beer city snake wrote:PIRATE BONSAI !!!  pirat right on !
 Evil or Very Mad 
All legal. But well.. Innocent passersby might not realize what it is, and remove plastic from the plant..

Any plastic bags hanging on trees around here are usually put there by proud dog owners who go to the trouble of bagging up their canine companions muck and then hang it in a tree for all to see, wierd.
Michael Cooper
Michael Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  AnjaM Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi,

my airlayer of a Carpinus betulus took 2 years. I guess it is not unusual.

AnjaM

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:34 am

Removed the layer last week.
This morning I noticed the municipality has started their trimming in that area. Pfiew.

It is now sitting in the greenhouse, in the shade of my pepperplants, the pot in a little layer of water. Temps around 22c (72F). Fingers crossed.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  marie1uk Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:00 pm

I always spray my separated layers daily for a week to 10 days til i'm happy they can supply enough moisture to the leaves.

marie1uk

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:02 am

So far so good..
It has dropped 80% of the leaves, but the rest of the leaves is slowly turning a dark green (THey were slightly yellow when I separated the layer)..

With another few weeks before winter really hits, I hope it is enough to get it through winter. Thx for the support. Will post again in spring after leafing out happens.

This is my new project. Note that the main trunk is actually vertical in the pot:Another extreme bend occurs at soil level.
airlayer carpinus Hornbe10
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:26 pm

How do you plan to train it? Cascade? Raft? Literati? Looks like a lot of options.

David
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Currently thinking informal upright-ish, with the canopy starting above the current first visible bend. But open to sugestions..
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:45 pm

Just a short update.. I did a very very VERY carefull repot this weekend, to get the plant in a shallower pot for stability. And was happy to see a good root-development, with several inches of white roots already. All the small branches have a few thick shiny buds, so life is good.

An image from today:
airlayer carpinus Carpin10

Obviously, the big branch on the right is coming off. THe top will be taken down a few inches. But first I want to let it grow through spring, only trimming to avoid too much fattening of branches. In summer growing-stop I will remove the larger diameter branches. The rest till winter with full wiring and trimming in spring 2016. Sigh. The waiting game...
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:47 pm

i think that is going to be a great tree in time !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Thx Kevin. That is what I am hoping too!
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Possibly a great couple of trees! Thanks for the update.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:56 pm

Just wanted to share that this tree is alive and kicking. Image from late may, by now it is almost completely green.

airlayer carpinus Carpin10

Very Happy
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Tentakelaertje Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:20 pm

Glad you didn't chop the right branch already. I think it's going to make a sweet cascading branch, with the beautifully curved branch as apex. Sounds a bit like a juniper, yes, but I think this one would do great on a mountain slope too.
It also suits very well for a raft imho.

Great material!

Tentakelaertje

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Finally, this tree receiveed the first wire this week!

airlayer carpinus Draadj10
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next