Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1949 -More old Info, coming back as new - Colander - July 1949

5 posters

Go down

1949 -More old Info, coming back as new - Colander - July 1949 Empty 1949 -More old Info, coming back as new - Colander - July 1949

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Ha ha, see -

HOW TO GROW LIVING MINIATURE MING TREES AT HOME - JOHN KIKITAVI

page -8

Describes how to fold and secure window screen into a box type shape and how to grow.

Interesting how long this info has been around.
Later.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

1949 -More old Info, coming back as new - Colander - July 1949 Empty Re: 1949 -More old Info, coming back as new - Colander - July 1949

Post  0soyoung Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:46 pm

That is interesting and surprising.

BTW, Vance Wood, who is a member of this forum, has a patent for a specific planter design of this ilk.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

1949 -More old Info, coming back as new - Colander - July 1949 Empty Re: 1949 -More old Info, coming back as new - Colander - July 1949

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Osoypung,

would it not be hilarious, if I continued to back read and found out that airpots / colanders and how they affect soil was known back in the 1930's or 1920's or even the 1800's.
Seems as though we need a more Science based - How to Bonsai - filled with Science for Horticulture and some form of Art training for the Design.

Wow, talk about a backward hobby - chuckle.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Parke Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Osoypung,

would it not be hilarious, if I continued to back read and found out that airpots / colanders and how they affect soil was known back in the 1930's or 1920's or even the 1800's.
Seems as though we need a more Science based - How to Bonsai - filled with Science for Horticulture and some form of Art training for the Design.

Wow, talk about a backward hobby - chuckle.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj,

Isn't this all a snapshot/synopsis or proof that most things in life operate in cycles. The old ideas are 'rediscovered' and made vogue once more...sometimes out of necessity, sometimes by accident and at other times from learning - from the past. The use of colanders like fashion demonstrate that repetition is always occurring.

Cheers,
Nigel
Nigel Parke
Nigel Parke

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:54 pm

i dont see any references to many bonsai techniques discussed these days being claimed as 'new' - many are tried and tested, lots are proven already.....they are basically being shared with people who may have missed them 1st, 2nd or 3rd time round and there is nothing wrong with that if they are proven to work well.
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Nigel, Marcus,

in Fine Art, we look for efficiency of technique. I also look for the same in Bonsai. So if I can maximise the use of my soil mix, keep my trees healthy, and still build good designs, I will always look for the most efficient way to get there.

The reason, I work with seed / cuttings, is because , as I stated before, it is closest to the blank canvas I am accustommed to in oil painting. Plus, I really don't like scars or wounds on my trees, since in my climate, insects love a wound. So I would look for the most natural way to grow a seedling into good design.
This is why my concave pruner is the smallest size normally made, no large cuts, as the design is drawn to guide the seed.

I am amazed at how much was already explored so long ago.
Hope that explains.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelJ Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:19 pm

0soyoung wrote:That is interesting and surprising.

BTW, Vance Wood, who is a member of this forum, has a patent for a specific planter design of this ilk.
Very interesting design.

It is in the public domain now, too.

MichaelJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down