Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Development of a weeping Scots pine

+2
Carolee
Mike Pollock
6 posters

Go down

Development of a weeping Scots pine Empty Development of a weeping Scots pine

Post  Mike Pollock Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:46 pm

I found this Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) at a local nursery specializing in dwarf conifers and alpine plants. They had "rescued" this tree from a landscape job and put it in a nursery can. In spite of the thin, weeping branching of the tree, I couldn't resist the trunk and wonderful bark. Current height is 34" from the soil line.

It had lots of bar branches and other "faults." The first styling resulted in a better shape, but lots of problems remained.

Development of a weeping Scots pine Scots-10

A couple of years went by as I finally removed the problem branches and got the tree into a better pot. It still had me scratching my head. Would it ever be a decent bonsai?

Development of a weeping Scots pine Weepin10

Last year it had filled in some and the next wiring made for encouraging progress.

Development of a weeping Scots pine Weepin11

It was resting most of this season and looked very happy. I took advantage of quiet day at home yesterday to wire it. I'm very pleased with its progress. Can't wait to see it in a few more years.

Development of a weeping Scots pine Scots-11

Here are three photos together of the 2007-2009 refinement.

Development of a weeping Scots pine Scots-12

It's good to be back on the IBC. Hope to be able to contribute more in the future.
Mike Pollock
Mike Pollock

Back to top Go down

Development of a weeping Scots pine Empty Development of a weeping Scots pine

Post  Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:19 pm

Good development, very powerful trunk. I like it.

Back to top Go down

Development of a weeping Scots pine Empty Re: Development of a weeping Scots pine

Post  Carolee Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:17 pm

A very nice tree. I especially like the way the left side of the foliage compliments the nebari emphasizing the trunk. Thanks for showing the progression.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Development of a weeping Scots pine Empty Re: Development of a weeping Scots pine

Post  John Quinn Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:13 am

Looks great...nice progress Mike!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Development of a weeping Scots pine Empty scots styling

Post  Mike Pollock Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:18 am

Thanks John.

I started this tree with Colin Lewis. The last few years its been under the radar, so even he was surprised with how far it has come.

Of course, I wouldn't be doing any meaningful bonsai without everything he has taught me. Advice to eveyone, find a great teacher and spend as much time as you can with them...
Mike Pollock
Mike Pollock

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:41 am

I respect Colin, I had a couple of workshops with him years ago when he was down here in SC.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:56 am

Very nice Mike,

Great movement, great balance. This one's only going to get better !

Thanks for sharing,

Ed Trout

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:34 am

it's a very nice tree and you have done a good job on it !

In my opinion, it should be careful that the shape doesn't remind an helmet.

Thanks for sharing
Penjing
Penjing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:08 am

Hi Mike, great find and good development. I met Colin over 20 years ago... on one visit to my garden quite soon after I collected my Hawthorn Raft from the wild when he saw it he proclaimed "if you ever sell this tree sell it to me" I still have the tree Colin cyclops

Back to top Go down

Development of a weeping Scots pine Empty scots...

Post  Mike Pollock Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:47 pm

Penjing,

Thanks for the comments. Once the tree fills in more I can better define pads and the movement of the branches. The weeping character of the tree lends itself to dancing branches, so that's the long-term goal.
Mike Pollock
Mike Pollock

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:09 am

love it!!! well done, thanks for inspiring! Very Happy
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down