Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a pot for a tree

5 posters

Go down

a pot for a tree  Empty a pot for a tree

Post  abcd Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:54 pm

hello,
I repot this very old elm in march this year in a provisional pot.
Photographies of different virtuals pots for exhibition , what do you think about the forms and the colors? have you some ideas for the ideal pot, thanks for your advices.
Actual pot : [img]a pot for a tree  Dscn1511[/img]
Pot 1: [img]a pot for a tree  Dscn1510[/img]
Pot 2 : [img]a pot for a tree  Potpit10[/img]
Pot3 : [img]a pot for a tree  Ormepo10[/img]
Pot 4 : [img]a pot for a tree  Ormepo11[/img]
détail off the bark :[img]a pot for a tree  Dscn1513[/img]

abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

a pot for a tree  Empty Re: a pot for a tree

Post  JimLewis Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:01 pm

I think whatever pot you choose needs to be much wider to balance the massive weight of the trunk and top. The cream color is fine. Green would be good too.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:14 am

I would not pick a small round pot, nor a pot with a (too) shiny glaze. The blueish shiny glazed does not fit the tree at all in my opinium.

I would go for a deeper pot than your thrid example (so more like the first and second), and i'd pick a glossy glaze as well or unglazed even. A roughly textured glaze, or a glaze with different shades or different areas of thickness of glaze would suit that rough bark and masculinity of the tree very well. Some crackles in it would add to the drama as well. An undertone of glaze behind the top glaze could work as well.

A bright colour would maybe suit the tree as well, but i would pick a colour that does not distract the eye too much of the bark/tree; maybe a shade of dark/deep red with textured pot surface or glaze surface at the one extreme end, and on the other extreme end a pale yellow or green with textured pot surface or glaze... and in between those, just neutral colours grey/brown/green.

Sorry i did not do the effort of looking for examples

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:36 am

Beautiful tree! If it were mine, I'd look for either an unglazed square semi-cascade pot with rounded corners and no lip (plain feet) or a glazed pot with a yellowish-brownish color to (hopefully) match your fall color. I'd be careful not to let the pot distract from the trunk character of this tree, which you have in abundance.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:37 am

How about something like this?

a pot for a tree  Dscn1510

The size of the pot would need to be changed to fit the tree, I am not to good at virtuals. I ordered a similar pot for a corkbark with deep fissures in the trunk. I ordered it from Erin's pottery if your interested. You can email them and ask them for there adive to. Here is a virtual of mne.

a pot for a tree  310

Here's a couple more virtuals form Erins:

a pot for a tree  110

a pot for a tree  210

Mike
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:52 am

I would go with a rectangle or even oval, but remember the rule of 3rds, and plant off center. (rule of 3rd usually not followed in square or round pots)
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

a pot for a tree  Empty virtual pot

Post  abcd Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:58 am

[img]a pot for a tree  Elm11[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content