Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

recently acquired Elm

+3
yamasuri
moyogijohn
dick benbow
7 posters

Go down

recently acquired Elm  Empty recently acquired Elm

Post  dick benbow Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:59 pm

I was able to acquire an attractive looking elm from a gentleman moving out of state and rehoming his collection. I saw the bonsai in a collection of trees for sale in a multitude of photographs. Nothing in the pic allowed me to understand it's size so i was shocked at pick up to find something I could barely lift and something 42 inches tall. I later found out the tree had not been repotted in numerous yrs (5) and was quite dry.
So i'd really like some input from those knowledgeable with elms as this is my first one. I took it home and soaked it overnight in a tub of water to completely hydrate it. I intend to get some vitamin B to water it with. I think I should get a bigger pot for it so that I can slip it out of it's present pot and comb out the roots around the edge ( an inch or two) and get some new soil surrounding it to go thru winter till it can be throughtly and properly repotted with new soil thru-out. Good plan? Really could use your assitance here.recently acquired Elm  Img_2621

I put the standard size pop can in the picture so you at least could see relative size.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

recently acquired Elm  Empty recently aquired elm

Post  moyogijohn Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:49 pm

It looks like you have a nice find..i like elms anyway !! i am not sure about messing with the roots maybe just ease it out of the pot,,soak without a pot thenplant into something larger... the bottom left branches might need working with but the rest of the tree looks fine to me... how long befor cold weather do you have ?? good find take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

recently acquired Elm  Empty Re: recently acquired Elm

Post  yamasuri Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Wow...good score. Need some refinement...give nice repotting next year and let it grow to see how vigorous tree will be.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:51 pm

appreciate both of your encouraging words. Thanks. About 3 more weeks till frost and cold weather......
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:56 pm

c/p..............."About 3 more weeks till frost and cold weather......" Hushhhh Dick I don't wanna hear that Laughing
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 pm

That is a very nice elm. Good find.

I wouldn't mess with it this year. Severe rootbound-"ness" won't kill the tree over a Seattle winter. Repot in the early spring.

And I sure wouldn't bother with the Vitamin B!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:06 am

JimLewis wrote:That is a very nice elm. Good find.

I wouldn't mess with it this year. Severe rootbound-"ness" won't kill the tree over a Seattle winter. Repot in the early spring.

And I sure wouldn't bother with the Vitamin B!

+1 what he said. It won't hurt at all to wait until spring to work on the roots.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Eider Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:10 am

That looks nice Dick. Can't wait to check it out!

Jason
Jason Eider
Jason Eider

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:24 am

Nice score Dick, like they said ....next spring. I've slip potted a tree but it was in August and with this continued warm weather it seems to doing good. Some folks in certain areas in the Comox valley has a very lite frost a week ago Crying or Very sad

Last edited by gman on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Thanks Jason, LOL it's a big un......Smile

Hey Gman, thought of you thru out the summer and wished we could have made some trips looking for suiseki. If your ever down this way would love to show you around the Weyerhauser collection.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Should have thanked both Jim and Bob for their comments. (sorry guys)
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down