Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recently acquired Acer palmatum var., (burgundy lace) atropurpureum - HELP

2 posters

Go down

Recently acquired Acer palmatum var., (burgundy lace) atropurpureum - HELP Empty Recently acquired Acer palmatum var., (burgundy lace) atropurpureum - HELP

Post  David D Mon May 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Recently acquired this acer from a garden center as a 'troubled tree' for an 80% discount! What should I do first?
1. Do I remove all obviously dead branches and chop the trunk?
2. Do I need to do anything to the soil other than remove the dandelion?
3. Should this tree be treated? Some of the leaves are curled and have obvious sun and wind damage...
Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks, David

Recently acquired Acer palmatum var., (burgundy lace) atropurpureum - HELP 17515

Recently acquired Acer palmatum var., (burgundy lace) atropurpureum - HELP 17312

Recently acquired Acer palmatum var., (burgundy lace) atropurpureum - HELP 17612
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Recently acquired Acer palmatum var., (burgundy lace) atropurpureum - HELP Empty Re: Recently acquired Acer palmatum var., (burgundy lace) atropurpureum - HELP

Post  JimLewis Mon May 28, 2012 8:35 pm

You certainly can remove the deadwood but you won't want to chop the trunk unless you have a definite plan for the tree that calls for a trunk chop. Take off the dead stuff and see what you have then. Post some more pictures. It's probably too late in the year for much soil/root work. Don't fret too muh about damaged leaves. You just got the tree nd it's not a bonsai yet.

Water carefully (don't leave the soil wet) fertilize a few times (read the label), and bring the tree to health this year.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Recently acquired Acer palmatum var., (burgundy lace) atropurpureum - HELP Empty Re: Recently acquired Acer palmatum var., (burgundy lace) atropurpureum - HELP

Post  David D Mon May 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks Jim. Do you think I should remove the top part of the trunk which is dead?
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue May 29, 2012 1:48 am

I'd remove ALL dead parts.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  David D Wed May 30, 2012 4:44 am

Again I thank you for your input. I observed a great number of small spiders, larger than spider mites. I was wondering if these could have caused the die back. I sprayed with insecticidal soap and they literally rained out of the leaves. Should I use a systemic also?

Last edited by David Forsyth on Wed May 30, 2012 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to include a question)
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down