Good source for ficus?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Good source for ficus?

Post  Patrick_G on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi everyone, I'm brand new here and I love it already.

My first question is one of procurement. I live in SE Michigan but I absolutely love working on Ficus trees. I have a couple small sources around here for decent stock but nothing bigger in the way of tropicals. Has anyone here used an online service for buying ficus that they trust? Or a good source for anything in particular. For days like today(sunday) when all my shops are closed I look to the internet.

Patrick_G
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Good source for ficus?

Post  FrankP999 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:30 pm

Eric Wigert http://www.wigertsbonsai.com/ has great plants and they will ship.

FrankP999
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Good source for ficus?

Post  drgonzo on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:45 am

I was going to recommend the Wigerts but Frank beat me to it.

Other great Mail order bonsai sites I have had repeated success with are;

Hollow creek Bonsai
Bonsai West
Wee Tree

Hank also has some nice ficus here:
http://www.tandamiti.com/

Just snagged a mighty killer Pinot Noir Grape from Wee tree last week.

That should get you going.
-Jay

drgonzo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Good source for ficus?

Post  Patrick_G on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:11 am

Thanks so much guys, next step is setting up a humidity box so I can get some aerial roots on my current trees.

Patrick_G
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Good source for ficus?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:49 am

drgonzo wrote:I was going to recommend the Wigerts but Frank beat me to it.

Other great Mail order bonsai sites I have had repeated success with are;

Hollow creek Bonsai
Bonsai West
Wee Tree

Hank also has some nice ficus here:
http://www.tandamiti.com/

Just snagged a mighty killer Pinot Noir Grape from Wee tree last week.

That should get you going.
-Jay

I suspect that most of the Northern Bonsai sellers of Ficus are reselling from Florida and maybe even Erick Wigert.

On aerial roots, although they look cool, I remind everyone of a downside. Aerial roots cause reverse taper, the trunk between the aerial root and the ground will stop growing because the tree above is now fed by the aerial roots. The branch between the aerial root and the trunk will stop growing for the same reason.

Billy

Billy M. Rhodes
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Good source for ficus?

Post  drgonzo on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
I suspect that most of the Northern Bonsai sellers of Ficus are reselling from Florida and maybe even Erick Wigert.
Billy

This has been my observation as well. However I find sometimes the re-sellers retail is cheaper then Erik's own retail. Razz
-Jay

drgonzo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Good source for ficus?

Post  Patrick_G on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:53 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

On aerial roots, although they look cool, I remind everyone of a downside. Aerial roots cause reverse taper, the trunk between the aerial root and the ground will stop growing because the tree above is now fed by the aerial roots. The branch between the aerial root and the trunk will stop growing for the same reason.

Billy

That's good to know, I have two trees I could start roots aerials on but that's great info for the smaller forest style I have.

Patrick_G
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Good source for ficus?

Post  rock on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Hey Pea Gravel.
Sure you know about it but your fellow MI brother has a very informative site Jerry Meislik, great for up there ficii growin'

http://www.bonsaihunk.us/ficusforum/FicusTechniques/FigTechnique14.html


by the way, everyone get this guy for your club or convention...excellent speaker and zuper nice guy
goo luck


Last edited by rock on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pic of the jermeister)

rock
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Good source for ficus?

Post  Amcoffeegirl on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:44 am

Check out Dasu bonsai online out of Iowa. They have a nice selection of ficus.

Amcoffeegirl
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Good source for ficus?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:36 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum