Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone know of a good potter, or source for bonsai pots in the VA area?

+3
drgonzo
John Quinn
Steven
7 posters

Go down

Anyone know of a good potter, or source for bonsai pots in the VA area? Empty Anyone know of a good potter, or source for bonsai pots in the VA area?

Post  Steven Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:25 am

I find that when buying pots online I have a hard time really visualizing scale and generally when I receive them, while pleased with the pot, I find that they generally do not fit the image I originally envisioned. So in light of this, I would love to find a local potter or even supply store to find some nice looking pots. Plus I am always up for support local business. Thanks for any info.

Steven
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Anyone know of a good potter, or source for bonsai pots in the VA area? Empty Re: Anyone know of a good potter, or source for bonsai pots in the VA area?

Post  John Quinn Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:44 am

You might have better results trying to attend a regional bonsai show where you will likely have several vendors from which to select.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Anyone know of a good potter, or source for bonsai pots in the VA area? Empty Re: Anyone know of a good potter, or source for bonsai pots in the VA area?

Post  drgonzo Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:05 am

Steven wrote:I find that when buying pots online I have a hard time really visualizing scale and generally when I receive them, while pleased with the pot, I find that they generally do not fit the image I originally envisioned.
Steven

I have this same problem and sometimes it can take me two or three times to get the pot just right for a specific tree. BUT

One thing that helps greatly is taking a photo of the tree with a ruler on the surface of the pot. Then grab a copy of the photo from the website of the pot you like, look at its dimensions then kinda zoom or crop so that you can manipulate it into position on top of the photo of the tree you took. A little playing with both images on your computer can give a pretty good indication of what the combo will look like together. I do this alot.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:31 pm

Virtuals are very helpful! Sometimes though, you need to 'fondle' the pot to get a feeling for it's quality, texture and mass. Cool

Sometimes these end up being pots we buy without a tree in mind, we just like the pot!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks guys, that may help with my online pot shopping, but I would still love to find a more local supplier if possible which would also cut down on my shipping costs lol.
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:47 am

Hi Steven,
I live in the central Piedmont, Charlottesville area. It is challenging at best to find a supplier of pots. I save my money for the Annual Potomac Bonsai Association (PBA) Spring Show; Dale Cochoy is usually there as well as other pot vendors; artists and supply vendors. The PBA also has an annual auction in Beltsville, MD at Behnke's Nursery; usually a good selection of pots are available there; many fine quality pots as well as cheaper pots. Strange's Nursery in Richmond, VA carries a varied selection. Other Northern VA nurseries often carry bonsai pots. Snow's nursery in Charlottesville, has a few but they are expensive. I find many good buys on Ebay, but you have to be careful.
There are many potters in VA and you might find some artists at the local community colleges, Adult Education pottery classes that will be interested in making bonsai pots. I met some nice folks at our local community college and talked to them about bonsai and bonsai pots. They were intrigued and one person, a friend of mine, made a nice pot and gifted me with it. Nothing "beats" a handmade pot made with love!

Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:44 am

Todd,

Thanks for the information, I certainly hadn't considered PVCC or its students and pottery program as an option to explore. I will also definitely be attending next years shows. With any luck I will be going to NC in Oct for their show/expo so maybe I will find something nice, fingers crossed.
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Steven,
I should be vending pots at the Asheville, NC show this October.
If you have ideas/sizes in mind, there should be no problem with a custom pot made in that time frame.

D.
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Anyone know of a good potter, or source for bonsai pots in the VA area? Empty Pots

Post  bonsaisr Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 am

So glad to see Dale is back at work.
Iris
Bagpiper
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:08 am

Thanks Dale, I will PM you some specs on what I am looking for as soon as I get a chance, either way I look forward to seeing your work while there.

Steven
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:48 am

bonsaisr wrote:So glad to see Dale is back at work.
Iris
Bagpiper

Not QUITE yet Iris, but was just telling wife today that I need to get some pots made.
Idle hands.....well, you know :>)
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Anyone know of a good potter, or source for bonsai pots in the VA area? Empty Potter in VA

Post  Chfengr Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:34 am

Anyone looking for a potter in VA may give me a call.

I have a studio in Farmville, VA. We can make pots to most any design and standard.

mainlyclay.com

Regards,

Rick

Chfengr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down