Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chinese elm

+2
Jake16
moyogijohn
6 posters

Go down

chinese elm Empty chinese elm

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:17 pm

I have a small one that has a stright top trunk.. would it be too late in the year to trunk chop it,, then hope for a bud break to start a new leader for the apex ???? thank you very much john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

chinese elm Empty Re: chinese elm

Post  Jake16 Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:35 am

I would say yes but I'm just guessing. For encouragement, I got antsy and decided to dig up a sweet gum way after you should, then it got angry and dropped all of it's leaves Smile . I thought It was dead for the longest time and it just threw out some new foliage a couple of days ago.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 am

Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:40 am

moyogijohn wrote:I have a small one that has a stright top trunk.. would it be too late in the year to trunk chop it,, then hope for a bud break to start a new leader for the apex ???? thank you very much john
You're almost certain to get the budding you want. I can chop Chinese elm this time of year with no concerns. However, since you're a lot farther north than I am, your potential issue is that the new growth needs to harden off before winter.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:41 pm

I think you will be fine if you chop.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

chinese elm Empty chinese elm

Post  moyogijohn Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:38 am

Thank You Everyone for your responces and help.. you all know I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET !!!! I think i will make the chop,,the trees go in a green house anyway..thanks again take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 am

Hi moyogijohn,

Post some pics of your elm for us.
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:58 am

I'm in zone 5 and for most deciduous trees, (maples, elms, etc) there is enough time for new buds to grow and harden off before the snow flies all the way up to about July 15. You are farther south, so you might be able to go a bit later. I do prefer to do my trunk chops before July 4, but I have gotten away with it as late as middle July.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down