Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese elm

+13
mike page
marcus watts
dave fish
abcd
Todd Ellis
Tom1k9
BonsaiJim
LordEOfBeckley
lordy
Poink88
dadshouse
moyogijohn
Smithy
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chinese elm Empty Chinese elm

Post  Smithy Tue May 29, 2012 11:10 pm

A bit of a progression of a chinese elm i bought a few years ago. The first pic is how it arrived in the garden and the second is today. The pot isnt the right one for it yet. Feel free if you want to suggest one with a virt.

Chinese elm 005

Chinese elm 015-14-1
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Chinese elm Empty chinese elm

Post  moyogijohn Wed May 30, 2012 1:25 am

Smithy,, I like it !! nice progression since you first got it.. i have one something like it i have posted for help..mine hada lump i had to carve away...see (my poor elm) ..yours is looking good take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Chinese elm Empty Re: Chinese elm

Post  dadshouse Wed May 30, 2012 2:21 am

Looking good smithy good work ThumbsUp
dadshouse
dadshouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed May 30, 2012 2:38 am

Excellent progress on a nice material!

Only thing I will change is lower the bottom left branch a bit more.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Wed May 30, 2012 2:46 am

this is the first of the S-curve elms I have ever seen grow to maturity, and it looks way better like this. The foliage is much more refined and looks really good. Perhaps not done, but really good so far. Nice tree!
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  LordEOfBeckley Wed May 30, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm always up in the air about the S-curve trees, sometimes I can't stand them and sometimes I think they're pretty alright... maybe it's the stereotypical'ness of them? This ones pretty nice looking, definitely like the progress you've made filling it out. It'd be awesome to see with a thicker base, will Chinese elms accomplish this over time? Maybe I'll pick up a cheap s-curve c. elm and give one a shot... they're supposed to grow like weeds where I'm located.

LordEOfBeckley

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for the all the comments.
For an s bend its not too bad, it was the bark that really attracted me at the time. I guess its the age that does it . Its quite a good size also,here is a pic for size.

Dario i went and looked at that branch but i don't want to just bend it down while all the others aren't bent down. As it fills up some of the new branches will come down from there .

Chinese elm 006-18
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  BonsaiJim Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:50 pm

The branches are all the same size- any intention of letting the lower ones grow out?
BonsaiJim
BonsaiJim

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:24 pm

BonsaiJim wrote:The branches are all the same size- any intention of letting the lower ones grow out?

Yes Very Happy
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Chinese elm Empty pretty nice. ive recently bought one very similar shape and branch placement. but tiny baby

Post  Tom1k9 Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:10 pm

what is the forum called with the pictures of what i used to look like. then i can compare them to this?

Tom1k9

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:21 pm

Tom1k9 wrote:what is the forum called with the pictures of what i used to look like. then i can compare them to this?

This is the first picture i have of it when i got it . There isn't another forum with earlier pictures on.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:47 am

Hi Smitty,
I love your tree, I LOVE the pot. But, I think you will have better growing results with a larger pot; bigger/thicker root flare will result. Certainly let the branches fill out. The lower left branch can be brought down a bit and needs to be much larger to balance the tree. The first right branch angle is good; it just needs to grow out. The bark is awesome! I hope you're making cuttings!
Please send the pot to Gordonsville, Virginia for better results ... on this side of the pond Very Happy
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:36 am

this was last pic taken at Burrs . No i haven't been taken cuttings . I try not to do cuttings and seeds these days as i get bit overwelmed with trees. The bottom branches are being grown out . Its staying in this pot this year ,too many other bits to repot this year . This one is happy for now so i 'm not concerning myself with it.

Chinese elm 550183_377244852362284_2125116055_n
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Chinese elm Empty elm pot

Post  abcd Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 am

With a larger pot
[img]Chinese elm Elm10[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Yes would love a pot like that. I have no money for a new pot for this one at the moment and had to put it in the best one i had in the shed just sitting around. Next year i will be looking for something along the size of that one.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  dave fish Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Its the same old question but if you dont mind - what potting medium are you using for this?
I've never really had any joy with Ch. Elms.

dave fish

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:39 pm

dave fish wrote:Its the same old question but if you dont mind - what potting medium are you using for this?
I've never really had any joy with Ch. Elms.

i've had the same Ch. elm 20 years now and the only years it was poor were the ones when i used pure akadama / kiryu etc. it is my only tree that likes 'potting compost' so i use john innes, perlite, grit and a little akadama mixed in. Outdoors all the time, feed plenty, prune hard and repot every year or two if you want to to make them grow fast.

other than that is it a low maintainance tree Very Happy
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:25 pm

My chinese elms are in a mix of molar clay , pumice and a bit of bark. I only protect them if the temp starts to get below -5 for days and days.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:34 pm

GOOD JOB!
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  dave fish Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks muchly! I will try again with a different mix!

dave fish

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Smithy wrote:My chinese elms are in a mix of molar clay , pumice and a bit of bark. I only protect them if the temp starts to get below -5 for days and days.

Smithy, the tree looks a lot better than when you had it, can you tell how you protect it when the temperature drops too low? The reason I ask because I lost 2 very good looking Elms (one after the other) by the cold
Now I have a third one and I don't want to lose it again

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 pm

Thanks Mike

Xuan , I'm not sure what temp you get where you are but here i just pop mine into the workshop when we are getting temp well below zero for days on end. When we had a bad winter a couple of years ago it was still reaching below zero in my workshop but did rise up above that in the days. To be honest i don't do a lot about protecting my trees most of the time ,only when it looks like it is going to stay frozen for days do i put the chinese elms in the workshop as they are the ones i paid money for Very Happy
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  efishn Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi Smithy,

Very nice prorogation, beautiful tree. I like it very much.
I have one of this tree too, not nice like yours Wink . unfortunately cause collapse of a big tree on some of my bonsai two days ago (we have a big storm in Israel now)
I lost some of its main branches. so... in short... do you sell it ? Smile

Efi

efishn
efishn

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Thats a real shame Efi .Sorry i think i'm going to keep this one .Postage may have been a bit too much anyway Very Happy

I took a pic of it today . I did find a Tony Remington pot on my shelf that i may pot into this season . I'll see how things are getting on then with all the other work.

Chinese elm 008-17_zpsdb5573fb

Chinese elm 012-15_zps4093a402
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:52 am

Smithy wrote:this was last pic taken at Burrs . ... ...
Nice couple! Very Happy The yellow color contrasts so nicely your black sweater, Smithy! I love your elms, both of them!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next