Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper

+13
gman
bonsai monkey
peter keane
Kev Bailey
Ed van der Reek
Rob Kempinski
Stone Monkey
fiona
Harleyrider
Rick Moquin
Nik Rozman
JimLewis
Lee Kennedy
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper Empty Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper

Post  Lee Kennedy Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:21 pm

Feb 2008~1st pic
This is the one no one wanted,at the bsa show in 2008 i tried to get all of my fellow club members to buy this tree but to no avail.The potential was obviously there,and these will grow like mad given the right feeding,it just looked a little unloved.
I returned a week later to trade some tree's,and had a little left over which let me get this juniper too,by that time i knew my prize winning Kawabe juniper would be sold soon so needed a tree for our club show in the summer
Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper Bsasho11
Me and terry foster gave it a inital styling a week later,many branches were removed and we toyed with the idea of adding deadwood to the major trunk
Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper Dsc00110
I carried on tweaking and carving more for a few months,the growth rate was amazing then with marco we put a few guy wires on and rearranged some of the foliage
Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper Marco_10
8 weeks later i rejiged it all,while the guy wires had transformed the major branches,i didnt like the position of any of the green.one week before the wirral bonsai society show i changed the whole thing around and came up with this which duly won the show,this is still just 6 months after the original styling
Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper P1011310
At this show it was also selected for the best of british,i was starting to get quite proud of this previously scruffy juniper,i took it to sheffield where it won again,it's old owner seen it didnt recognise it and i had to convince her it was her old tree!and commissioned Andy stonemonkey to make a pot for it,he came up with this a worm eaten effect which was exactly what i wanted
Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper Dsc00311
Re wired a bit more carving and at the best of british
Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper Bob20010
And now today nearly ready for our show again,the minor trunk will get a little rework just before the show,17 months in the life of a juniper!
Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper P1010013
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper Empty Re: Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper

Post  JimLewis Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:24 pm

Very nice transformation.

MY personal preference would be to NOT have such triangular canopies on both trunks.

But well done!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper Empty Re: Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper

Post  Nik Rozman Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:37 pm

Very impressive makeover. I think if I was the previous owner of this tree I wouldn't have recognized it either.

But how about this? Try to expend the right crown a bit.
Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper Copy-2-of-p1010013
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:45 pm

I bet she's kicking herself now, well done.
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:47 pm

How jealous am I?

But remember, Lee. Nobody likes a smartarse. thumbs up
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:52 pm

As the saying goes up here - pure, dead brilliant! cheers

Wonder how many people were trying to zoom in on that price tag in pic 1! Very Happy
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:56 pm

Guilty as charged!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:09 pm

Very nice transformation. You got me inspired to make a new creation.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:14 pm

Looking good my friend especially in that Japanese Pot lol!

All the best Lee and see you in November, good luck with the Gordale Show and pass my regards to the rest. Oh and Mr Storey was in the Monkey's den this weekend affraid

Take care

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:37 pm

Nice job with the twin trunk

Lee Kennedy wrote:Feb 2008~1st pic
..... my prize winning Kawabe juniper would be sold soon ....
Was this the tree I saw at Gingko?
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed van der Reek Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:41 pm

Great transformation in such a short time thumbs up
Greetings Ed
Ed van der Reek
Ed van der Reek

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:48 pm

Excellent work Lee. I love Niks virtual tho.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:07 am

Wonderful illustration of your tree's progression. Thank you for posting it..
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:05 pm

Stone Monkey wrote:Looking good my friend especially in that Japanese Pot lol!

All the best Lee and see you in November, good luck with the Gordale Show and pass my regards to the rest. Oh and Mr Storey was in the Monkey's den this weekend affraid

Take care

Andy
Cheers Andy,it is true that someone very well known stopped me and asked who the pot was by,i asked them to guess and there opinion was either japanese or klikka,dizzy heights for the monkey!
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:09 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:Nice job with the twin trunk

Lee Kennedy wrote:Feb 2008~1st pic
..... my prize winning Kawabe juniper would be sold soon ....
Was this the tree I saw at Gingko?
Yes the gingko tree has gone,i got a offer i couldnt refuse,2 bob and half a curly wurly!
no seriously i got another kawabe juniper,a iwasaki juniper and a amazing alps scots pine for it,funnily enough it then won the certre tree of the month award from a pic of when i owned it,but did i get any credit or half the money? like the hell i did
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:10 pm

fionnghal wrote:As the saying goes up here - pure, dead brilliant! cheers

Wonder how many people were trying to zoom in on that price tag in pic 1! Very Happy
You should know fiona,you were there,were you one of the ones i was tryinng to persuade to buy it at a extremely good price?
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:40 pm

Lee Kennedy wrote: You should know fiona,you were there,were you one of the ones i was tryinng to persuade to buy it at a extremely good price?
yeah. But I'd already eaten my Curly Wurly! Sad
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Truly superb job Lee. Saw it at BoBB and was so impressed, such a great tree in such little time.

You have a good eye sir, shame Dave didn't take you up on the swap you offered for buying that Trident Maple at Willowbog this year Wink
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper Empty Newbie question

Post  gman Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:38 pm

Like the others, I find the transformation stunning and also helpful in visual design techniques.

However, I have an observation in regards to the two opposing details of this tree (IMHO).
This tree shows a history of struggle over many decades or even 100 of years with its deadwood however, the lush (triangular) top growth is generally associated with a much younger tree (still in its prime). Although I have seen old trees respond to an increase in light with less competition with its neighbors and therefore increased nutrient supply I still am wondering…..
Would the presentation not be more realistic if the top growth was “thinned” to align itself with the total image of a very old tree?
Cheers Gman
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  William Feldman Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:35 am

That's a truly incredible transformation for such a short time! I was wondering what kind of soil mix you use for your junipers. Does it include an organic component?
William Feldman
William Feldman

Back to top Go down

Post  axefleer Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:02 pm

very nice tree and good evolution. also your pot is wonderfull, good job to you Lee and Andy
axefleer
axefleer

Back to top Go down

Post  Reiner Goebel Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:46 am

The development of the foliage over such a short period of time is almost unbelievable. How did you fertilize the tree during that time?

I think Nik's point is well taken, and I liked it better in the rectangular pot.
Reiner Goebel
Reiner Goebel

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:37 am

Nik Rozman wrote:Very impressive makeover. I think if I was the previous owner of this tree I wouldn't have recognized it either.

But how about this? Try to expend the right crown a bit.
Seventeen months in the life of a Twin trunk juniper Copy-2-of-p1010013
It's a good suggestion Nik,but needs two live veins splitting from the deadwood to acheive,so maybe when it has a few years off in a bigger pot in a year or two,that may be a good time for surgery,it equally looks very good with the left side of the 2nd trunk lower.
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:40 am

William Feldman wrote:That's a truly incredible transformation for such a short time! I was wondering what kind of soil mix you use for your junipers. Does it include an organic component?
I never use any organic component,this is akadama and grit,normally i'd use pumice instead of grit but i never had any,no worries though it's growing well.
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:43 am

Reiner Goebel wrote:The development of the foliage over such a short period of time is almost unbelievable. How did you fertilize the tree during that time?

I think Nik's point is well taken, and I liked it better in the rectangular pot.
The feeding was the real secret behind it Reiner,last year it had 20:20:20 miracle grow once a week and seaweed once a week,this year i've slowed that down to 2-3 weeks so it doesnt become too course.
The old pot was a horrible choclate brown chinese affair,it just came out ok on a few of the pictures for some strange digital reason
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next