Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twin trunk style - help needed

5 posters

Go down

Twin trunk style - help needed Empty Twin trunk style - help needed

Post  Barry M Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:18 am

I have a dwarf pomegranate for which I need some advice. It’s only about a year old and I’m allowing it to just grow and thicken in a regular pot for a few years. Of course I’m not concerned about styling details at this early stage. But, I do want to decide on an overall style now because it affects how I will proceed. I have felt that this tree should be a Twin Trunk because it splits about two inches above the soil level (see photos). However, I have read a few messages on the Board indicating that if a trunk splits above the soil surface, you get a sling shot looking tree and that is bad. I have read elsewhere that it’s okay for a trunk to split above the soil surface if the split occurs not too high. My question is – can I grow a twin trunk style with this tree with the split occurring where it does and the final height I expect to be about 15 inches? I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Twin trunk style - help needed Newpom10

Last edited by Barry M on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:07 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : photo)

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Twin trunk style - help needed Empty Re: Twin trunk style - help needed

Post  bucknbonsai Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:33 am

barry,
I wouldnt try to make this a twin trunk, I think it will always look like branch. In case this is your first pomegranate I just wanted to give you a heads up that these dwarf pomegranates in zone 6 or 7 just never seem to put on any mass at all. I have tried several varieties and even some non-dwarf varieties, and even in proper sized growing pots and unrestricted growth, the calipers after several years barely changed. I moved on because I realized I would never have a thick twisted trunk pomegranate like john nakas (at least by going the rooted cutting route)
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Twin trunk style - help needed Empty hi Bary

Post  tap pi lu Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:16 am

the tree usually growing height very fast, if you don't control it regularly by cutting, airy, porous soil growing needs, not to stagnant water
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Twin trunk style - help needed Empty Twin Trunk

Post  bonsaisr Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:05 pm

No, that is not a twin trunk, that is a slingshot. Cut one trunk way back to make the first branch. Pot it in coarse bonsai soil & feed it heavily for a couple of years.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:55 pm

to add better taper lose the left hand trunk and half the right hand one, then put it in something bigger (grow bed, the earth, huge pot etc) for a few years as a 15" high tree will need 2" ++ of trunk base - in a normal pot 2" will take 10 years+.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:52 pm

I really appreciate the ideas from everyone. I have been convinced that this is not a candidate for twin trunk style and I will (sometime in the future) shorten the right side so it becomes a branch. I will grow the plant in a larger pot for some years even though it's unlikely to thicken much. But I do like the dwarf pomegranate as it gets blossoms and fruits somewhat in proportion to its size. One question - is it okay to move it into a larger (regular) pot now or do I have to wait until next spring? I live in New Jersey, USA.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Twin trunk style - help needed Empty Twin Trunk Not

Post  bonsaisr Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Marcus is right. Shorten the LEFT branch. According to Pauline Muth, you can repot the pomegranate RIGHT NOW or wait until early next spring. What do you mean by a regular pot? It needs to go into a shallow pot, either an oversize bonsai pot or a nursery bulb pan.
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:25 pm

Iris,

Just so I understand - are you saying I should shorten the left (i.e., taller) branch (what I used to call the left "trunk")? That would then become "the" trunk. How much should it be shortened? Should I then leave the right branch as it is?

(Regarding what I meant by "regular" pot, I meant an ordinary deep flower pot. But I can instead plant the tree in an oversized bonsai pot as you suggested.)

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down