Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Material for online contest

+12
Ferdie *
Liserd
RYUGA
fiona
Jerry Meislik
Brett Summers
marcus watts
jong
Poink88
moyogijohn
Rakesh
Sakaki
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Material for online contest Empty Material for online contest

Post  Guest Fri May 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi Guys,

I'll be joining an online contest, (for the first time) the reward is a free trip to China, in "the penjing country" and so much more. the contest will run for one year, and the raw material will be develop in that time span,
I am selecting between these two materials.

Material number 1- Phempis acidula, medium size. The size is perfect for one year development, with existing primary branches.

Material for online contest Dsc_1083

Material for online contest Dsc_1082

Material for online contest Dsc_1085

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Material number Two- Hard wood Molave, "Vitex cofassus"- easy to grow, fast growing, challenging but unique material. I call this one the "Big Foot".

Material for online contest Dsc_0838

Material for online contest Dsc_0839

Material for online contest Dsc_0840

Material for online contest Dsc_1087
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW the news paper/Broadsheet is for time/date reference....and for scale too

Which one do you prefer?

Thanks!

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Material for online contest Empty Re: Material for online contest

Post  Sakaki Fri May 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Hmmm... Select first material & Send second one to me (to increase possibility of being the winner) lol!
Good luck Mr. magic hands! Smile
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Rakesh Fri May 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi June
I would select the first one.
I think that you can achief reults much faster.

What is the site name for the online contest.

Regards
Rakesh from Surinam

Rakesh

Back to top Go down

Material for online contest Empty material for on line contest

Post  moyogijohn Fri May 11, 2012 11:32 pm

JUN,, I know nothing about either one of the tree stocks !! the first one looks like you can make a very nice tree... only my opion you know,,do them both !!!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat May 12, 2012 2:57 am

Both looks great but I prefer the first one. Since I am not familiar with both on how fast they grow & ramify, I would suggest you consider that as a major factor when selecting your material.

Good luck!!!

Is this for the Ryuga contest?
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Sat May 12, 2012 6:21 am

For me the 1st one? How can i join jun? Thank you for sharing. God bless.

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat May 12, 2012 7:46 am

00Ps Jun.

you have disqualified yourself !! Very Happy Very Happy

the rules say no help or other persons input is allowed ! Razz

haha, cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Sat May 12, 2012 8:25 am

You can enter as many times as you like so why not enter both Question

Also I agree I would aviod posting pics of any trees you intend to enter. It could viod your entry.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Sat May 12, 2012 1:12 pm

One.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat May 12, 2012 1:41 pm

The first one for me although I have no idea of the growth rate of the two so I'm going on a basic outline of a tree here.

You could have some fun with Big Foot though, for goodness sake don't get rid of it.

I'm of course jealous that you expect get plant material to put on so much growth in such a short space of time. As I sit here in the middle of May wearing a long sleeved shirt and a fleece jacket, I can't help but think that competitions such as this one are always going to favour entries from the warmer climates because of the significantly faster growth rate. This is not, repeat NOT, a criticism of this event; merely an observation. I greatly admire the organiser for his efforts in putting up the competition - I see it as a way of giving something back to bonsai.

Last edited by fiona on Sat May 12, 2012 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  RYUGA Sat May 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi Jun,

They are right, don't try to get any advice from the others. However, tell you something..also to the others..that the judges will not only judge the "final result", but most important is on the creativity process and the innovative changes from the material to the last design stage (not a finished bonsai). So although no limitation on the material used, but logically, the rawer the material, the better can show your design skill.

Fiona, you are not truely correct. Tropical trees truely can grow faster but no guarantee on the creativity changes, so connifers can have the same chance because of the judging criteria.

Here is the link :
Ofbonsai Contest : http://ofbonsai.org/Contest-detail/2012-ofbonsai-magazine-progressive-bonsai-styling-contest-sponsored-by-ryuga-bonsai-tools

The deadline (30th June) is approaching for entering the material and who knows you will win your free bonsai trip to China or other interesting awards.. Bagpiper

Last edited by RYUGA on Sat May 12, 2012 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistype)

RYUGA

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat May 12, 2012 3:01 pm

RYUGA wrote: Fiona, you are not truely correct. Tropical trees truely can grow faster but no guarantee on the creativity changes, so connifers can have the same chance because of the judging criteria.
I know what you mean and it's good that it's not just a "finished product" that is being judged.

I wasn't really talking about "tropical trees" per se but trees that have the advantage of several months of strong heat that means lusher growth. Essentially if I entered today there's no way I could get any sort of tree to show significant change by January 10th - certainly not enough to let the judges see sufficient progression that would make it clear what I was aiming for. Unless a virt was acceptable as part of the commentary process.

Still, I look forward to seeing the results of the competition.

Last edited by fiona on Sat May 12, 2012 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  RYUGA Sat May 12, 2012 3:07 pm

fiona wrote:
RYUGA wrote: Fiona, you are not truely correct. Tropical trees truely can grow faster but no guarantee on the creativity changes, so connifers can have the same chance because of the judging criteria.
I know what you mean and it's good that it's not just a "finished product" that is being judged.

I wasn't really talking about "tropical trees" per se but trees that have the advantage of several months of strong heat that means lusher growth. Essentially if I entered today there's no way I could get any sort of tree to show significant change by January 10th - certainly not enough to let the judges see sufficient progression that would make it clear what I was aiming for. Unless a virt was acceptable as part of the commentary process.

Still, I look forward to seeing the results of the competition.

。。 No... Trust me, NOT relly Fiona. Very depend on the material you select and make the "first" change... (Sorry, I am not supposed to give this clue... Evil or Very Mad )

RYUGA

Back to top Go down

Post  Liserd Sat May 12, 2012 5:21 pm

Hello

both are fantastic trees, but in my opinion the second one sure has a lot more potential.
I see a fantastic raft there... Twisted Evil

Greetings
Mário

Liserd

Back to top Go down

Post  RYUGA Sun May 13, 2012 7:33 am

Sorry, I forgot to mention that there are different catagories prizes, so more chance to win :

1st and 2nd Place for Conifers
1st and 2nd Place for Deciduous
Most original Design Award
Inspiration Prize

Good luck !

RYUGA

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun May 13, 2012 7:42 am

hi,
hopefully Juns post will get a few more entrants to the competition. Very Happy

and now jun has had lots of advice on the material Twisted Evil Twisted Evil he will have to find a tree not used or ever seen on IBC before - Like the rest of us have ! Very Happy

haha, dont worry though Jun, the pictures you take can be used after the competition closes for the 'advanced & progression' section cheers

all a bit of good fun,

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun May 13, 2012 7:48 am

RYUGA wrote:Sorry, I forgot to mention that there are different catagories prizes, so more chance to win :

1st and 2nd Place for Conifers
1st and 2nd Place for Deciduous
Most original Design Award
Inspiration Prize

Good luck !

just to make it perfectly clear please....

deciduous are trees with leaves that naturally fall off naturally with the change of season, conifers make cones and are virtually all ever green, but broad leaf evergreen trees are neither deciduous or conifer so how are you classing the tropical trees, ficus, buxus, etc?

thanks Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  RYUGA Sun May 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks for the question Marcus. They are classified as deciduous tree.

RYUGA

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 13, 2012 12:24 pm

marcus watts wrote:00Ps Jun.

you have disqualified yourself !! Very Happy Very Happy

the rules say no help or other persons input is allowed ! Razz

haha, cheers Marcus

I am not posting! I am not posting in this thread anymore....hehehe. My son posted these materials not me....Hey son where are you? you're grounded boy! WE'LL GET DISQUALIFIED FOR THIS. hehehe! delete! delete bounce

Don't put any design input please...just choose between the two. pirat

Thank you folks!

regards,
jun Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun May 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Jun, the saying we use to deflect blame over here is; "A big boy did it and ran away."

Naughty big boy to have posted Jun's tree like that and then run away. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 14, 2012 12:55 am

[quote="marcus watts"]hi,
hopefully Juns post will get a few more entrants to the competition. Very Happy

and now jun has had lots of advice on the material Twisted Evil Twisted Evil he will have to find a tree not used or ever seen on IBC before - Like the rest of us have ! Very Happy

haha, dont worry though Jun, the pictures you take can be used after the competition closes for the 'advanced & progression' section cheers

all a bit of good fun,

...in every battle strategy is one of the key factor in winning. Don't fall into diversionary tactics.

"Simulated disorder postulate perfect discipline, simulated fear postulates courage, simulated weakness postulate strength"-Sun Tzu

hehehe

regards,
jun Bagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Ferdie * Mon May 14, 2012 3:39 am

Bro I think the second one is more challenging than the first one, you know why, because the first one already emphasize the beauty of its form, while the second one will depend on how the stem will show up and where it will be, so Bro your manificient/wonder hands will really work hard to achieve it, because that ugly one will then turn to a beauty by your wonder hand, and thats make it more interest in waiting part, the progress it may bring in each passing months, will be a much awaited to see then for us..so therefore you can give the first one to me.. Wink Laughing
Ferdie *
Ferdie *

Back to top Go down

Post  theBalance Tue May 15, 2012 10:33 am

the first one, has all the basic structure...all you can do is refine it - so the challenge will be to use secondary branches, leaf and arrangement to show your creativity - Robert is amazing in doing such transformations....

BUT...

the second one...is Unique...with lot's of potential, every little thing you will do will have GREAT impact on this...so the "progress" will be radical...
and if it will not win the second category....it has a good chance of winning the third one ( Most original Design Award )...

if it was my choice - I would go for the foot Cool

good luck !
theBalance
theBalance

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue May 15, 2012 1:07 pm

I wish to see more entries in this contest, not only deciduous tree, but also conifers.

Last edited by Robert Steven on Tue May 22, 2012 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  CraftyTanuki Tue May 15, 2012 8:00 pm

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Last edited by CraftyTanuki on Tue May 15, 2012 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
CraftyTanuki
CraftyTanuki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content