Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents

5 posters

Go down

"Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents Empty "Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents

Post  fiona Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:53 pm

My grand bonsai tour of the Wirral and points west and (slightly) north east progressed well and I left Scouseland intact on Friday. Now those of you with a literary bent will of course have worked out the reference in the post title to Willy Russell's brilliant play, so, no prizes for guessing where the next leg of my epic voyage was.

And so, on my way to see that lovely gentleman Kev Bailey, I took the opporchancity* to visit Abeconwy Nursery in North Wales, and although I had been tipped off about the nursery, nothing could have prepared me for the range of plants on offer. Bear in mind that this was mid-summer and while most garden centres are selling little other than Gentians, the good Dr Lever had an excellent choice. It made me wonder what it must be like there in Spring when the alpines are really to the fore. So while we're all Kusamono daft (and while the debate over Kusamono vs Shitakusa rages on) I'll take the chance to show just three of the plants I purchased, and also to make the recommendation that should you be touring in the area (or indeed if you live within travel distance) this is one place that's well worth a visit.

* Alain K - I'll be very impressed if you can discover the etymology of that one Wink
NB 1 Tony - please note I obviously did listen to the depth of field lesson yesterday
NB2 Dan B - if you're reading this, I've run out of accent pots. I hope you will be at home first week in August.
NB3 Everyone who hasn't read "Our Day Out" - you should (if only to give you a clue where the nursery is)
NB4 I am not on commission at Aberconwy Nursery

"Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents Astilb10

"Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents Edelwe10

"Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents Dscf3310
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

"Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents Empty Re: "Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents

Post  AlainK Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:57 pm

opporchancity: an unexpected occasion. A portmanteau word based on 'opportunity' + 'chance'. Chiefly used on bonsai forums by Fionnghal.

NB: a portmanteau word in French is "un mot-valise" (valise=suitcase, smaller than a portmanteau which comes from 'porte-manteau', i.e. 'coat-hanger')
NB2: 1375, from O.Fr. opportunite (13c.), from L. opportunitatem (nom. opportunitas) "fitness, suitableness, favorable time," from opportunus (see opportune).
NB3: 'chance' is 'luck' in French.

Laughing
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

"Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents Empty Gordale sub Committee

Post  Guest Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:09 pm

I really enjoyed my last visit to The Wirral Club, they are well underway with their big Gordale event I believe.

"Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents Gordal10

Last edited by Tony on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

"Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents Empty Re: "Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents

Post  fiona Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:47 pm

AlainK wrote:opporchancity: an unexpected occasion. A portmanteau word based on 'opportunity' + 'chance'. Chiefly used on bonsai forums by Fionnghal.

NB: a portmanteau word in French is "un mot-valise" (valise=suitcase, smaller than a portmanteau which comes from 'porte-manteau', i.e. 'coat-hanger')
NB2: 1375, from O.Fr. opportunite (13c.), from L. opportunitatem (nom. opportunitas) "fitness, suitableness, favorable time," from opportunus (see opportune).
NB3: 'chance' is 'luck' in French.

Laughing

Swot!!!! study

Your next mission (should you choose to accept it) is to research Francie and Josie. This post will self-destruct in 5 seconds. Thankfully!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:48 pm

fionnghal wrote:
Your next mission (should you choose to accept it) is to research Francie and Josie.

I haven't got a clue what you are talking about, I dinna ken, Miss !... Shocked
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:32 pm

AlainK wrote: I haven't got a clue what you are talking about, I dinna ken, Miss

Laughing at furriners trying to understand Glasgow humour - priceless! For everything else...
(parody of advert for well-known credit card)

Francie and Josie was a stage act performed by two Glasgow comedians (real names Rikki Fulton and Jack Milroy). Their act involved dressing as teddy boys and sending up the typical hard man of Glasgow (and probably every other city in the UK). A favourite catchword (one of them) was "opporchancity". That was the link.

Possibly, just possibly, we may have strayed off bonsai here! Laughing

NB the word "ken" is more commonly associated with the east coast of Scotland including that other, lesser, city. Oh what's it called now? Edin...something.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Warhurst Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:06 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing"Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents Gordal12

Ian Warhurst

Back to top Go down

"Our Day Out" Part 1 - Speaking with Welsh Accents Empty Strong Sun?

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:23 pm

Has the summer sun been exceptionally strong this summer? Seems like you UK folk have been out in it too long. Embarassed Smile Surprised Shocked

Let's see some bonsai.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Les S Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Mr Tickle your visa to the Wirral Peninsula has been rescinded forthwith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Embarassed What a Face Mad

Les S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down