Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88)

+4
Bob Pressler
fiona
Sal Salero
Poink88
8 posters

Go down

Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88) Empty Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88)

Post  Poink88 Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:46 am

6 months into this hobby, I decided to do a few of these tree progression of some of my trees.

There is a lot of change in such a short while but please believe me that I listed to & observe my plants and (I think/believe) only do what it can handle. This is my methodology and not advocating others to follow it. If I am wrong, this progression will be the ultimate testament to it.

Shortly after collection - January 3, 2012
Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88) P1110202

As of April 16,2012 (3.5 months later) The original was chopped back about 25%-30% a week after initial repot. Plastic sleeve/extender was added to bury deeper some exposed surface roots. All lower branches are just sacrificial and will be removed later. They are kept to help build taper, add character to the trunk, and help maintain foliage mass as I regularly trim/pinch the top branches. Top foliage shown is about half of what it was few minutes before the pic was taken. Some of the branches will have their sacrificial branches later to thicken them up too.
Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88) P1120271
Current back (but possible front esp after carving both main chopped branch ends)
Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88) P1120274

As of May 19, 2012 (4.5 months after)
Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88) P1120410

As of Aug. 17 2012 (7.5 months after) I decided to remove the main branch a month ago (July), leaving a more compact tree that IMHO have better potential for future refinement. Carving is still very rough and will be detailed much later.
Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88) P1130316

Last edited by Poink88 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88) Empty Re: Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88)

Post  Sal Salero Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:09 am

theyre off to a good start poink although it might help you more to post progression threads later on in the development of your trees. right now there isnt much to really comment on. maybe put them all on one thread as comments for one might apply to all at this point. just a thought Smile

Sal Salero

Back to top Go down

Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88) Empty Re: Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88)

Post  Poink88 Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:46 am

I want each tree on their own thread to build as I go. I am not waiting for any comments...if they come great, if not it is okay too. It doesn't look like it now but in a few years it might help someone and make more sense. If I do not start this now...I might never do it. We all have our style and this is mine. Wink

Any input about tree design & technique I get will also help me as I go.

I plan on going forward with this method unless a moderator or admin tell me otherwise. Thank you.

By the way, just noticed this is your first post.... welcome to IBC!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:17 am

Sal Sal wrote:theyre off to a good start poink although it might help you more to post progression threads later on in the development of your trees. right now there isnt much to really comment on. maybe put them all on one thread as comments for one might apply to all at this point. just a thought Smile
Poink88 wrote:I want each tree on their own thread to build as I go... I plan on going forward with this method unless a moderator or admin tell me otherwise.
This all more or less sums up what the new way of posting is all about. (see HERE). Under that, when your thread is complete, it would move into Finished Trees. This is a good example of how it could work.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Looking good. I would remove those suckers from the base though they are just stealing energy from the rest of the tree.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Really nice twin Dario!
I am really curious about its development...
I agree with Mr. Pressler regarding suckers Smile
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:49 pm

My cedar elm started life as a bonsai in a very similar way. Here's a quick phone pic 21 years later. It's a very slow go.

Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88) 2012-015

Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks for the advise guys.

Russell, that is beautiful. I like it very much and I hope I can build similar branch structure on mine. As you posted earlier, I am learning that some cedar elm are super slow and some are super fast. I seem to have both type and this is a fast growing one.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Ulmus crassifolia/Cedar Elm #1 tree progression (Poink88) Empty ulmus crassifolia cedar elm # 1 tree

Post  moyogijohn Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:14 pm

POINK,,, you have made great progress with this tree in such a short amount of time !!! please keep it posted with the work.. i like it already !! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun May 20, 2012 2:46 am

Posted an update pic at the OP.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Updated with latest pic on OP.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:09 pm

what is op?
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:10 am

marcus watts wrote:what is op?
Original Post. Depending on how it is used, it can also mean "Original Poster"
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down