Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collected English Oak (Quercus robur)

+2
Ingvar Nilsson
Mr Miyagi
6 posters

Go down

Collected English Oak (Quercus robur) Empty Collected English Oak (Quercus robur)

Post  Mr Miyagi Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Collected from the edge of a field. The smallest of 7 or 8 which will be collected over the coming years. Sheep and Dear make such good bonsai. Along way to go but beautiful shape.

Collected English Oak (Quercus robur) 122

Collected English Oak (Quercus robur) 219

Collected English Oak (Quercus robur) 316
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Collected English Oak (Quercus robur) Empty Re: Collected English Oak (Quercus robur)

Post  Mr Miyagi Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:01 pm

This is the direction I am looking to take it.

Collected English Oak (Quercus robur) Virt10
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Collected English Oak (Quercus robur) Empty Re: Collected English Oak (Quercus robur)

Post  Ingvar Nilsson Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Good find! Looks promising. I think it woud benefit designwise by cutting back more to get ramification closer to trunk.
Ingvar Nilsson
Ingvar Nilsson

Back to top Go down

Post  paulf Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Nice find that. Im stuck in suburbia growing acorns in pots out back.

Do you find the rhizotonic helps much with collected material? I use the canna terra vega on my plants and it drives them wild.

paulf

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Miyagi Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Ingvar Nilsson wrote:Good find! Looks promising. I think it woud benefit designwise by cutting back more to get ramification closer to trunk.

Hi Ingvar, Completely agree but will leave this year and cut back hard next.
Thanks Sam
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Miyagi Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:44 pm

paulf wrote:Nice find that. Im stuck in suburbia growing acorns in pots out back.

Do you find the rhizotonic helps much with collected material? I use the canna terra vega on my plants and it drives them wild.

Hi Paul, The rhizotonic does a marvelous job. I also apply Cannazym weekly.
Thanks Sam
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Collected English Oak (Quercus robur) Empty Collected english oak

Post  moyogijohn Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 pm

SAM,, Another good one ,,lucky,, I WISH you could send one over !! you are getting a lot of stock trees this year... take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Miyagi Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 pm

moyogijohn wrote:SAM,, Another good one ,,lucky,, I WISH you could send one over !! you are getting a lot of stock trees this year... take care john

Hi John, I’m afraid I’m a bit of an addict.
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:25 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Ingvar Nilsson wrote:Good find! Looks promising. I think it woud benefit designwise by cutting back more to get ramification closer to trunk.

Hi Ingvar, Completely agree but will leave this year and cut back hard next.
Thanks Sam
Sam,

Nice find. I agree with Ingvar. I would do it now if it were mine. This is coming from a fellow addict. LOL Razz
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Collected English Oak (Quercus robur) Empty August collection?

Post  DaveKirkland Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:16 pm

Does anyone have experience of collecting UK quercus robur in August? bonsai4me site suggest this may be the best time, uniquely amongst UK deciduous trees. I ask because after 20 years collecting/growing bonsai I have found an incredible oak, a once in many lifetimes find, and want to consider the most experienced advice I can find before I plan its digging/development.

DaveKirkland

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Miyagi Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:54 am

Hi Dave, Bonsai4me is a fantastic site and Harry obviously has a lot more knowledge and experience than me but my personal preference is still to collect in late spring. English Oaks are known for been very greedy plants when it comes to their roots. If it were me I would undercut the tree as deep as possible this year. Trench and pad out with Sphagnum Moss next year. Then collect on the third. Oaks unfortunately are not to be rushed. However it’s all dependant on the soil and conditions its growing in. I also advise the use of Cannazym and Rhizotonic to get it established.
Thanks Sam
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down