Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newly Dug Quince

5 posters

Go down

Newly Dug Quince Empty Newly Dug Quince

Post  jupitermininginc Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:50 am

Planted by me 20 years ago in a parking lot recently converted to grass. Chaenomeles 'Rowallane' (red) kept coming up for 3 years after cutting to ground level. Dug out and found to have been buried over 10cm below grade, now exposed as trunk wood.
Newly Dug Quince 0686c_thumb
Plan to let it grow for a year and flower next March before clip and grow to shape into an old Oak grove form. The root mass is solid wood about 15cm down. Anyway, will picture next March in bloom and ask for styling advice then.
Newly Dug Quince 11579_thumb
Made the pot last week from scrap wood, it is 60cm long (sides at 15/75 degree pitch).Newly Dug Quince 183a2_thumb

Last edited by jupitermininginc on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:17 am; edited 3 times in total
jupitermininginc
jupitermininginc

Back to top Go down

Newly Dug Quince Empty hopefully the pictures arrive shortly

Post  jupitermininginc Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:01 am

more pics

Last edited by jupitermininginc on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pictures?)
jupitermininginc
jupitermininginc

Back to top Go down

Newly Dug Quince Empty Re: Newly Dug Quince

Post  fiona Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:13 am

Would you mind trying to load the images again please? Just in case you've missed a step out HERE is the handy guide - apologies for insulting you if you followed it to the letter and it's been the system that has gone wrong. Embarassed

Many thanks

Fiona
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:35 pm

And, with the same apologies, you don't need to create new posts. Just edit your originals. Once the pictures show up, we'll edit out all of the "I can't see them" messages.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Newly Dug Quince Empty Images Added

Post  jupitermininginc Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:22 am

Used Img.ie following prompts then with a click to highlight "thumbnail for forum" then Ctrl C then click in text then Ctrl V

Cannot get this site's image host to work Crying or Very sad
jupitermininginc
jupitermininginc

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Can you tell us what it is you are doing? Do you get any kind of message from the system. While no system is perfect, this one is relatively straightforward -- though it doers have its idiosyncrasies.

Pictures taken from the side at eye level make it a lot easier for us to see what you have.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:13 pm

From what I can see, you've got a winner. ThumbsUp
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Newly Dug Quince Empty Picture loading plus New Pics

Post  jupitermininginc Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:47 pm

I was extremely careful to follow the instructions for picture posting. First, done on an old iMac then on a new PC my son (With hon Math, Physics and Computer Science degrees) built. Maybe a security setting problem with cookies and such. My son suggested the alternative hosting site.

Took two new photos. Just tried your host but cut and pasted the link instead of using copy button:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f41/17/41/05/61/imgp4813.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f41/17/41/05/61/imgp4814.jpg
Seems now you have to click the link.
Styling advise anyone?
jupitermininginc
jupitermininginc

Back to top Go down

Newly Dug Quince Empty To Jim re hosting site

Post  jupitermininginc Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:58 pm

The link would not show up in my text when the copy button used and the cursor line placed in text. No link no picture.
jupitermininginc
jupitermininginc

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:59 pm

Sorry about yoour problems. It MAY be a cookies thing. Any browser add-ons working?

Anyway, as to your tree. I think it can be very nice. Unless you are thinking of a semi-cascade, I think you may want to consider eliminating that heavy branch that goes off to the left. That would lead you to a nice clump start.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fredtruck Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:34 pm

Underneath the heavy branch there are a couple of smaller branches that have some interest. If you remove the heavy branch, try to leave those, if you can. Whatever else you do, at the beginning of summer, cut all the branches back to 2 or 3 nodes, and then let them grow until the fall. Then cut them back again.

fredtruck

Back to top Go down

Newly Dug Quince Empty Re: Styling Advice

Post  jupitermininginc Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:02 am

Generally not attracted to cascade style, perhaps from growing up in tall conifer country. Semi-cascade is brilliant but would take a very long time to thicken up, probably involving more growing out. Also, a very demanding style. Heck, I might even have to wire! The deep, solid root mass (like the old gallon pot solid) would prompt a better man to attempt semi-cascade though, I must admit.

Now that you point it out, I see that the heavy side branch will need shortening (next year after rooting up) to move towards a clump style. So thanks for that. The twisty low shoots coming off of it lack taper and will probably be headed back at the same time (next year after flowering).

Take another photo next year before I botch it up so no pressure to sort it out now.

There may be another one of these salvageable but it beats up the hands something fierce to dig these out.
jupitermininginc
jupitermininginc

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:21 am

In a way, my crab apple root is like that. I decided to tilt it up. You can do the same and use the biggest branch as your trunk. The others can be layered for the mean time then removed later before the tilt up. Just an option to consider.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down