Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

looking for fresh Japanese Maple seeds !

+4
JimLewis
Randy_Davis
GaryWood
Yukon78
8 posters

Go down

looking for fresh Japanese Maple seeds !   Empty looking for fresh Japanese Maple seeds !

Post  Yukon78 Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Does anyone know where i can buy FRESH rare Japanese maple seeds for bonsai....ebay isnt working out they arent fresh enough ?????

Yukon78

Back to top Go down

looking for fresh Japanese Maple seeds !   Empty Re: looking for fresh Japanese Maple seeds !

Post  GaryWood Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Yukon, unless they come from the southern hemisphere, beginning of fall, the freshest would be this past fall crop in the northern hemi.
Wood

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

looking for fresh Japanese Maple seeds !   Empty Re: looking for fresh Japanese Maple seeds !

Post  Randy_Davis Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Yukon78 wrote:Does anyone know where i can buy FRESH rare Japanese maple seeds for bonsai....ebay isnt working out they arent fresh enough ?????

What do you mean by "rare"? Most commercial seed suppliers only supply the seeds of the species (A. palmatum) since most of the cultivars don't come true from seed.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Yukon78 Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Gary & Randy....Im only having about a 5% success rates from seeds.....i've been told its because the seeds arent fresh enough. Im looking for Deshojo...Dissectum Atropurpureum....Seigen ?!

Yukon78

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Yukon78 wrote:Gary & Randy....Im only having about a 5% success rates from seeds.....i've been told its because the seeds arent fresh enough. Im looking for Deshojo...Dissectum Atropurpureum....Seigen ?!

Try the following sites for seeds. Sheffields has seed of some of the cultivars but don't expect them to come true to form from seed. F.W. schumacher is a commerical seed supplier that also accepts orders from the general public.

http://www.treeshrubseeds.com/default.htm
https://sheffields.com/
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:23 pm

The key words above are "don't expect them to come true to form from seed." You will get generic Acer palmatum from most seeds you can buy.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  mimstrel Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 am

I've read a few places that if you're growing seeds from the various cultivars, germination rate is very low (in addition to them, of course, not being true to the parent plant or plants) even under the best conditions. Is this not the case?

mimstrel

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:24 am

If I recall rightly, some cultivars can only be reproduced vegetatively; their seeds either are not viable, or they don't come true.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Pretty much agree with everyone, I have planted a variety of japanese maple seeds the last two seasons for fun..... from what I have read you can expect lower germination rates from many of the "rare" or graft bred cultivars, and while occasionally you may get lucky and acquire something similar to the parent you also have a high probability of getting something closer to the root stock or even something with traits from both, which at times can yield some rather interesting results, that is again if they even germinate. As you said you will most likely not find anything fresh or viable on ebay other than if you wanted to grow tridents, amur, or a stadard red or green maple cultivar, which again even those seeds may produce some variations of the parents. I currently have 15 green japanese maple seedlings that I grew from seeds I collected myself and while the majority do resemble the parent (the parent also being seed grown and a typical Acer P.) a few have very nice variations in leaf shape, coloring, etc.... I guess if you are really into finding and growing something more rare or hard to find you may want to look at buying smaller grafted trees which you can find a nice selection from these two as well as several other sources, pricing is always great, and the service and product is always top notch. I am currently growing out a dozen or so trees from each of these stores and I love them.

Ebay store: maplestone ornamentals

japanesemaplesandevergreens.com
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

looking for fresh Japanese Maple seeds !   Empty Fresh Japanese Maples Seeds

Post  Georgette Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:09 pm

I have a small Japanese Maple nursery and I specialize in the more rare Japanese Maples. Many

of these have "seeds on" and I will be collecting them in the late fall (when they are dry on the

tree). Some of my varieties are O isami, Suminagashi, Dancing Peacock-Aconitifolium, Musashino,

Moonrise & Tamukeyama. Next year I hope to be adding Shojo no mai, Beni schichenge, Red

Dragon, Butterfly & more. i have about 50 varieties of trees and I have a couple of varieties

coming in spring order that should be really exciting - one of them is "Rainbow" Japanese

maple.
Georgette
Georgette

Back to top Go down

Post  CSBudzi Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:05 am

I have a small Japanese Maple nursery and I specialize in the more rare Japanese Maples. Many

of these have "seeds on" and I will be collecting them in the late fall (when they are dry on the

tree). Some of my varieties are O isami, Suminagashi, Dancing Peacock-Aconitifolium, Musashino,

Moonrise & Tamukeyama. Next year I hope to be adding Shojo no mai, Beni schichenge, Red

Dragon, Butterfly & more. i have about 50 varieties of trees and I have a couple of varieties

coming in spring order that should be really exciting - one of them is "Rainbow" Japanese

maple.

I have been looking for specific cultivars for Japanese maples. And if not specifics then any fresh Acer P seeds. I am having the hardest time researching reliable seed sellers. Do you have a website or a list of the full range of varieties of seeds that you have that will develop into the specific cultivar? I saw the ones above. I was specifically looking for Arakawa and Seigen or Chishio. Also looking for Kiyohime, Kashima and Yatsubusa. I'd love to be on your list when those seeds drop.

Also the parent trees that the seeds are coming from were they grafted? or grown from seed as well?

C. S. Budzi
CSBudzi
CSBudzi

Back to top Go down

looking for fresh Japanese Maple seeds !   Empty Fresh Japanese Maple Seeds (More Varieties Picked Yesterday)

Post  Georgette Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:48 pm

Update on freshly picked seeds available are: AP Red Dragon, AP Virdis, AP Tamekuyama, AP Oshio beni,
AP Beni kawa & AP Waterfall.
If you want to order some, PM or email me for details.

Georgette
Georgette
Georgette

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down