Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Japanese Maple?

3 posters

Go down

Best Japanese Maple? Empty Best Japanese Maple?

Post  Jake16 Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:42 pm

I was thinking about getting a japanese maple when spring comes around and I am wondering which type people like to use? (and is suitable for bonsai)
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Best Japanese Maple? Empty Re: Best Japanese Maple?

Post  drgonzo Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:41 am

There are so many cultivars that make splendid Bonsai you could have a wonderfull collection populated by nothing but Japanese Maples.

However straight up A. Palmatum is a great place to start. Tridents (though a different species) are also very rewarding and forgiving. Both will help you learn pruning and watering needs. Importantly both can readily be found on their own roots without the need for working around grafts.

Once you have a good grasp of taking care of either of the above you can expand into some of the more finicky cultivars.

I have more Japanese maples in my collection then any other species...I think they're addictive.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:52 am

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah I have read that about tridents. I have one right now that I picked up a few months ago and now I'm trying to decide what to do with it. (if its healthy).
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:30 am

I saw a Sharp's Pygmy maple owned by Julian Adams so I got one of my own. It should only take 15 or 20 years to get where his was...
I also have a Koto Hime which has super small leaves and very slow growing. Like Gonzo said, there is a trillion and one cultivars. Try http://japanesemaplesandevergreens.com/. All kinds of fun there.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down