Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Termites on newly collected tree

4 posters

Go down

Termites on newly collected tree Empty Termites on newly collected tree

Post  LSBonsai Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi everyone;

I've noticed that on a thuja I collected last fall there are termites eating some of the thick dead rotted roots under the soil.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Will they harm the living tissue? The termites came with the tree, so it has probably been living with them for decades.

Once the tree is recovered, I will repot it and remove the dead/rotting roots, but that may not be for a couple of years.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks for any advice!

LSBonsai

Back to top Go down

Termites on newly collected tree Empty Re: Termites on newly collected tree

Post  JimLewis Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Assuming the table you have the tree sitting on is made of wood, it might be advisable to treat it. Most any ant bait sprinkled on the tree and soil should get you started. Dousing the deadwood, tree, and soil with a Pyrethrin spray also will do the job -- though reapplication at one-week intervals for 3-4 weeks may be called for.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  LSBonsai Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:33 pm

JimLewis wrote:Assuming the table you have the tree sitting on is made of wood, it might be advisable to treat it. Most any ant bait sprinkled on the tree and soil should get you started. Dousing the deadwood, tree, and soil with a Pyrethrin spray also will do the job -- though reapplication at one-week intervals for 3-4 weeks may be called for.

Thanks Jim. I have little experience with termites as they are not usually an issue this far North. I've been reading that any bait does not really work for termites, but it seems like you have had a different experience?

LSBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:49 am

Bait is slower. The pyrethrin drench probably would do the job more quickly. I had them in a large Podocarpus, and I used Raid Ant spray on the deadwood. That got rid of them. But Raid is much nastier and long lasting than the Pyrethrin, and I wouldn't use it again. Stinks too.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:40 pm

We get them a lot on collected CA Junipers. Sometimes I'll use a syringe and inject Pyrethrin or Diazion right into their holes.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:45 pm

I just spray with Spectracide (Termite). It is concentrate so you have to dilute and spray. Though it is marked Termite, it works for most wood borers too. It is available at Home Depot. Good luck!

Note that some termite only eat fresh wood, some prefer dry wood so watch out...you do not want any of those in your house/walls so treat them ASAP.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down