Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Osage orange whip - 1 year

+3
mimstrel
moyogijohn
JimLewis
7 posters

Go down

Osage orange whip - 1 year Empty Osage orange whip - 1 year

Post  JimLewis Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Some of you had expressed interest in trying an Osage orange - Maclura pomifera. Recall mine:

Osage orange whip - 1 year 5_09_a10

In 2010 I ordered several 2-year-old seedlings from www.musserforests.com. They arrived in April 2011. They were about the size of the chopstick in the picture below. That is one of those tiny seedlings after a year in a pot. Musser says they are fast growing trees, but this is really fast.

Osage orange whip - 1 year Whip_y10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Osage orange whip - 1 year Empty osage orange whip 2 years

Post  moyogijohn Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:27 pm

JIM ,, That is a nice looking tree!! How old is big one?? some times you can see these in the spring up here..is it not a inside tree in winter ?? Looks good and they must grow fast... take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Osage orange whip - 1 year Empty Re: Osage orange whip - 1 year

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:08 am

This is NOT a citrus!

It can take 10 below zero and love it.

The big one has been a bonsai for a number of years.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  mimstrel Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:37 am

They definitely grow wild at home (where they're called "hedge apples" by anyone not into botanical stuff); home is zone 5.

mimstrel

Back to top Go down

Osage orange whip - 1 year Empty Hi jim

Post  tap pi lu Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:08 am

Thank you for giving me a dream comes from the other side of the globe
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:17 am

My favorite local arboretum has these as Massive mature specimens, every fall their lawn looks like someone left lime green bocce balls all over the place.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:22 pm

Take some cuttings, if they'll let you. They'll sprout.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of what I ordered. I'm trying to fuse the trunks on 3 of them, and then there are two like this one, and 3-4 more. Maybe out in the yard somewhere?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Osage orange whip - 1 year Empty War of the Osage

Post  RKatzin Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi Jim, that is a really nice Osage! I wanted to work one for a long time.

Growing up in SE Pa. our drive was lined with these trees. Many bloody memories of climbing these thorny trees, gathering fruit for the annual 'War of the Osage'. Every fall we would all gather the fruits, chose sides and throw them at each other. I especially favored the slightly over-ripe oranges that would explode on impact with a good side-arm toss.

I don't see any thorns on your tree. Do you cut them off?

The wood is a favored bow wood due to its high resilience. Does this make it difficult to wire?

One more question. Only the females produce 'oranges', are the seedlings you get sexed? I can only get older ones that are certified males and I'd like to start a grove of younger starts. Do you think they will air-layer well? If so I could get a big one and break it down. They are 5'-6' and about $60US.

Thanks for posting this, you've renewed my interest in an old familiar friend, Rick
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:03 pm

RKatzin wrote:Hi Jim, that is a really nice Osage! I wanted to work one for a long time.

Growing up in SE Pa. our drive was lined with these trees. Many bloody memories of climbing these thorny trees, gathering fruit for the annual 'War of the Osage'. Every fall we would all gather the fruits, chose sides and throw them at each other. I especially favored the slightly over-ripe oranges that would explode on impact with a good side-arm toss.

I had them along the drive in Fla. They never bloomed, so I assume mine were all male.

I don't see any thorns on your tree. Do you cut them off?

YES! I always miss several, though so getting poked is a distinct likelihood. The thorns on the Musser trees are larger than those on my bonsai specimen.

The wood is a favored bow wood due to its high resilience. Does this make it difficult to wire?

Up to #2 pencil size, they wire just fine. Above that, you'll need thick, strong wire. My wife is a sculptor. She loves to find Osage orange longs to work with. Big ones are almost impossible to find. I've ruined at least one chain saw blade on them.

One more question. Only the females produce 'oranges', are the seedlings you get sexed? I can only get older ones that are certified males and I'd like to start a grove of younger starts. Do you think they will air-layer well? If so I could get a big one and break it down. They are 5'-6' and about $60US.

The Musser Forests catalog mentions the fruits, so I assume both sexes are represented. They grow easily from cuttings, so I also assume layers are very possible. You can get 100 2-year-old seedlings (6-12 inches) from Musser for $70, or 25 for $27.

Thanks for posting this, you've renewed my interest in an old familiar friend, Rick

Enjoy.

Here's a current pic.

Osage orange whip - 1 year 6_2110
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:23 pm

Jim, I have a question for you. I'm growing a few of these from seeds, and as I've transplanted them to the ground, I've noticed that the roots and other parts of the tree that grow below the soil are a very bright orange-yellow color. Does this change over time, or do they always stay this color?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Roots are always orange -- as is the bark. That's another reason, I think, for the common name. The bark, however, does fade from the weather, but if you clean it up, the orange reappears.

My little whips have grown, but as I'm just this minute back from a 2-day 800-mile drive (by myself) my brain isn't functioning well enough to find and post any pictures.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down