Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buxus/Boxwood branch (guy) wiring...how long to set?

+5
drgonzo
alonsou
Russell Coker
JimLewis
Poink88
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Buxus/Boxwood branch (guy) wiring...how long to set? - Page 2 Empty Re: Buxus/Boxwood branch (guy) wiring...how long to set?

Post  Fore Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks Dario and Russell!
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Buxus/Boxwood branch (guy) wiring...how long to set? - Page 2 Empty Re: Buxus/Boxwood branch (guy) wiring...how long to set?

Post  Poink88 Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Mitch Thomas wrote:Russell
I was reading a post by Tony Tickle on bending thick hawthorn branch, using a keyhole technique. Do you think it could work on boxwood? I tryed to move the link but I was un successful. Search Tonys post hawthorn raft branch bending.

Mitch
Mitch,

This? http://yamadoriforsale.com/2012/01/15/bending-a-trunk-on-my-hawthorn-raft/

It is interesting, based on my little experience with boxwood (and an experiment), it will work to some degree. I am not sure how well boxwoods heal yet. I know the wood, though hard, seem to deteriorate faster than others and deadwood feature is likely to be uro type.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Dario
Yes you are probably right about that they dont heal on the surface damage readly. I guess we need to experiment on this technique.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:46 pm

This weekend (in a local garden show), I saw a shohin boxwood that Joey is working on and he bent a straight branch to a snake "S" with curves almost touching the trunk back! Shocked It is amazing. It is not a large trunk but a very old one and took him several years to attain.

He agreed to post the tutorial with progression photos here... https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9679-bending-boxwood-branches#102336 cheers
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:58 pm

JimLewis wrote:There's simply nothing else to say but a LONG time.
Bonsai take however long bonsai take to do some things. You simply cannot put a time on them. A couple of those branches never bent. So forever might be one measure.
I removed lots of wires, guy wires and jacks on some of my boxwood today and they all already set!!! A few are more than 1/2" diameter. Total time since installed to set is less than 4 months here in Austin, TX. cheers cheers cheers

EDIT in: I spoke too soon, some didn't totally set, some sprung back a bit but the desired effect (thought not perfect) is there. I forgot that some of these are installed more recent (maybe just 2 months) Evil or Very Mad ... I had to guy wire some back but at least the (aluminum) wires & jacks are out. The biggest branch that was jacked didn't spring back any!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2