Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eastern Hophornbeam forest

+6
MrFancyPlants
moyogijohn
Mitch Thomas
JimLewis
Jesse McMahon
drgonzo
10 posters

Go down

Eastern Hophornbeam forest Empty Eastern Hophornbeam forest

Post  drgonzo Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share this Hophornbeam forrest I put together a few days ago. I've been tripping over all these lovely seedlings on one of my back paths for a few years now thinking they might make a nice group planting, so this year I finally got around to doing it. Hat tip to John Geanangels vid of a Ostrya re-pot that reminded me. Hopefully with good roots all around they will survive the transplant, if not, I have 17 more that went unused that were popped into my grow bed to replace any that may not make it, or to expand the group in the future.
-Jay
Eastern Hophornbeam forest Img_3912

Last edited by drgonzo on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Eastern Hophornbeam forest Empty Re: Eastern Hophornbeam forest

Post  Jesse McMahon Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Looking good, Jay. I like the movement in all those little trunks. How big a planting is that? (i.e., how large a dish is it in?)
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:06 pm

It BADLY needs 2 or 3 much larger (2x diameter trunk for largest) trees to add depth and naturalness, but is a good start and nice spacing.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:19 pm

JimLewis wrote:It BADLY needs 2 or 3 much larger (2x diameter trunk for largest) trees to add depth and naturalness, but is a good start and nice spacing.

Thank you for your kind comments Jim and I agree!

It has 15 trees in it now and I agree It could use 2 more honkers. I can see right where they should go too. They would need to be almost 2 inches thick to be twice the size of the largest tree. That would be tricky but let me see what I can find on my walk today. Its always hard to get a forrest right the first time.

They are all wired to a screen, I plan on sliding the whole group to the right next re-pot. Whole thing took two days from dig to done. I should add this is only the second forrest I've ever done so I'm not expecting a Bill V. right off the bat. Laughing

Best
-Jay

Last edited by drgonzo on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:21 pm

Jesse McMahon wrote:Looking good, Jay. I like the movement in all those little trunks. How big a planting is that? (i.e., how large a dish is it in?)

Thats in a 19 inch tray. 28 inches tall. The movement is courtesy of the expert Bonsai work of being trampled by deer as seedlings.
-jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Good job Jay
I agree with Jim. Maybe a mother, father type tree up from and to one side to give the composition depth and perspective. Keep us posted!

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Eastern Hophornbeam forest Empty eastern hophornbeam forest

Post  moyogijohn Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:26 pm

JAY,,, Looks really good!! you got all the movement,no wire, that is a plus.. i like it good job..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Nice natural movement.

I like the very middle and furthest left trees in particular.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamDunham Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:08 am

Jay, that is a really nice forrest. Hard to imagine that is only your second one! Those trunks have really nice curves, but the curve in the tree that is almost dead center really catches my eye. The background you used for that pic is really neat.
AdamDunham
AdamDunham

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:09 am

Thank you all for the helpful and generous comments,

On my walk tonight I found a nice thick 'Beam that could make a fine central tree. I think thats a great suggestion and I will do that inclusion next spring. Its a touch over an inch thick with plenty of lower wiggle. At this point its all in getting them to survive the lift.

If theres one thing I don't want for on my property, its Hophornbeams.

I have a terrible time photographing my trees as anyone on here who's seen my poor attempts at it knows. The background is my front pond right off the deck.

Thank you all
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:15 pm

I guess deer are good for something, huh?

Agree about the need for some larger trees in there, but it's a good start. I haven't tried putting together any forests yet (or forrests for that matter), but am starting to get the urge...maybe next year.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Make that two. I have a bunch of Tridents and JM's in the ground for a future forest. I love them.

And Jay, that looks very good for a second attempt. It'll look much better with a couple larger trees. Good Luck!
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:28 pm

I really like this planting. I hope this thread has a long future and after you add a tree or even when it leafs out we want more pictures.

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:42 pm

I'll be digging the larger tree later today, I feel one big tree is needed and maybe a second step down to make the transition to smaller trunks smoother. The planting in person is actually very visually satisfying as my camera doesn't capture the depth very well.

Buds on all are swelling nicely and these guys will be babied a bit for this year, HopHornbeams resent the first transplant from the field, yet after that they are more forgiving. I'll ad shots as they leaf out and I begin building ramification. Fall should be nice too with brown container, brown trunks, yellow leaves.

Coming down the pipes when I get my Turface order is the new and improved American Beech forest, the Trident "stand" and possibly one more Hophornbeam forest with all my leftovers, so I'll have lots of practice with forests this spring.

Thanks everyone for your help, its nice to have second opinions to notice things I would have missed!
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Eastern Hophornbeam forest Empty eastern hophornbeam forest

Post  moyogijohn Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:47 pm

JAY,, Have you DUG the other trees yet ?? I like the hornbeams,,i have one single tree a bought one..keep us posted please.. take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:28 am

Sorry John, i haven't had time yet as I've been dealing with some big stumps, and garden transplants, and trying to keep up on the re-potting all this week. Just finished the Trident "stand" yesterday.. 31 trees.

I wouldn't be able to add the larger hornbeam into the planting until next year anyway. I will update when leaves emerge on the forest. They are just pushing buds now.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down