Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eastern red cedar

5 posters

Go down

Eastern red cedar  Empty Eastern red cedar

Post  Baltazar Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:07 pm

I dug this up out of the ditch today put it in this pot to see how it would look cut off a couple of limbs does it look like a good subject for a bonsai its 8 inches tall I'm new at this so any input would be appreciated Eastern red cedar  20220315

Baltazar

Back to top Go down

Eastern red cedar  Empty Re: Eastern red cedar

Post  Thomas Urban Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:50 am

Hi, sorry to say but this juniper looks dead. If it has any life in it, water it only when is goes almost dry and not before, then wait and repeat. Youtube is a great source of free bonsai information but first you should learn the basics about plants. Bonsai are nothing but ordinary plants.
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

MrFancyPlants likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Baltazar Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:25 pm

Thanks for the advice I dont think it is dead they all look this way in the ditch every year in the winter it has new green needles coming on but time will tell I just thought I would try them out and see what happens there are thousands of them to pick from so if it doesnt survive I'll try again thanks again

Baltazar

Back to top Go down

Post  Baltazar Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:28 pm

I forgot to mention it's a cedar tree that's been growing in the ditch and been mowed off every summer

Baltazar

Back to top Go down

Eastern red cedar  Empty Not a Cedar, it's a Juniper.

Post  TreeKiller64 Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:15 am

Not a Cedar but a Juniper. And they do go RED in the winter during the cold. But will grow back Green next Spring, I'd say let it go for now and give it a try. No money spent here just time.
TreeKiller64
TreeKiller64

Back to top Go down

Post  Michigander Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:57 pm

Dead. But that makes this your lucky day. This is one of the very hardest to make into bonsai. The first step, -collecting without killing it is The Most Difficult step. It has to be done at the beginning of the peak growing season and over-potted to save the most roots. That makes collecting on the rebound in fall the worst time & way to try. That gives you an 0 for 4 start. If you were really good, you'd fail. Sorry, but I do speak from experience.
Michigander
Michigander

Back to top Go down

Eastern red cedar  Empty Eastern red cedar

Post  TreeKiller64 Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:55 am

Balt,
I have had success with ERCs, I'd give it a waiting time until spring to see if it has survived. Check the green growth and see if it's brittle.
Keep us posted!
Best of luck!
K Johnson
Zone5 Illinois
TreeKiller64
TreeKiller64

Dave Leppo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Leppo Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:12 pm

I've successfully collected these, one was a nice big interesting specimen. I had it for years, in training. Unfortunately it had or contracted root rot (a specific fungus). I had root rot mushrooms and all. I repotted to try to get rid of the fungus, but eventually the tree succumbed.. I had a smaller on that died, possibly from the same malady.

Dave Leppo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down