Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not "super large" -Penjing

+9
Tyok
moyogijohn
marcus watts
Sam Ogranaja
Pavel Slovák
Jesse
ludoh4
Poink88
fiona
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Empty Re: Not "super large" -Penjing

Post  Tyok Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:38 am

..Maganda pre,...bravo!! ThumbsUp i admire your talent and artistry jun...hopefully i magkaroon din ako ng ganyan....more power!! cheers cheers
Tyok
Tyok

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:57 am

Tyok wrote:..Maganda pre,...bravo!! ThumbsUp i admire your talent and artistry jun...hopefully i magkaroon din ako ng ganyan....more power!! cheers cheers

Thank you pre! Practice and Hands on works makes some difference.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Very nice Jun. I'd better not to comment if I suppose to judge in May... Very Happy
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Robert Steven wrote:Very nice Jun. I'd better not to comment if I suppose to judge in May... Very Happy

Oops! I forgot! scratch Should have waited until May! Don't worry this is just half of the entire composition.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Empty DETAILS- take a dip

Post  Guest Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:11 am

Hi guys,
been experimenting on several approach to penjing,,,,please don't be hold your selves in your comments. is too much details not good or is it ok to go beyond the normal approach.
I am creating a deep and shallow water effect using chemical that turns solid like glass for a more permanent display.

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Dsc_0825

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Dsc_0826

Area needs about 20 to 30 coatings to submerge the "rocks/bouldres"
Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Dsc_0827

Almost done here...after more than 30plus coatings
Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Dsc_0828

Some more detailing works at the base of the cliff
Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Dsc_0829

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Dsc_0830

couple more coating...
Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Dsc_0831

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Dsc_0832

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:29 am

hi Jun,

Nice work - very natural. I used to make scale scenery for wargaming and there is a great product from woodland scenics that makes waterfalls and swirling water etc - it is very natural when combined with the still water product you are using atm. -you can add ripples, waves, and as i mentioned waterfalls - check their website - it will give you lots of clues my friend Wink

best regards Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi Marcus.

thanks! I experimented with several products. Some water affect materials I used were the ones we are using for making scale models of swimming pool and for water/ponds for architectural models. probably the same as the materials used in hobby works. They are very easy to apply , two thick coats/layer will do. and would dry easily. but the problem I found is that almost all of those products are sensitive to water and prolong sun exposure. The chemical I am using now is very though, and industrial grade used for water proofing concrete and porous architectural stones.
I'll still try some other products though.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:03 am

Jun I think the effect is spectacular. And the whole planting is awesome!!

Is it Resin? Or a sealant for flooring?

Sam asked about the Sandstone. Sam you can make your own. Its called Hyper tufa. Its the easiest thing in the world, and get overgrown with moss so quickly that in no time you cannot distinguish the faux from the real, its carves beautifully. You can make any shape and mountain. Here is a example of and Indian Hyper tufa purification stone.

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Faux_s10

Last edited by Andre Beaurain on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 am

Thanks Andre!

it is water proofing sealant for exterior concrete or stones/rocks.
Did you make the pots?
regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Good heavens no.. I bought it as a real stone-carved purification stone, from Bali. And then one day I saw fibre sticking out! So I searched around, and walla ... hyper tufa.

This is my first attempt of making a faux Roman drinking trough from Hyper tufa. As you can see, NOT the same quality as the Bali faux. But still looks like stone, I think.

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Stone_10

Anyway, back to your landscape.....
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Empty 'Realistic Water' from Woodland Scenics

Post  leslonsdale Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:37 pm

'Realistic Water' from Woodland Scenics won't work as it is not made for outdoor use.
I use a 2 part epoxy acrylic (from Home Depot) that works great. i think it's called 'Glaze' or something similar. Dries crystal clear in about 8-12 hrs. and can be colored for ocean scenes.

I will post a pic or 2 of what I've done with it, when I figure out how to post. I just joined this forum today.

Les
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:39 pm

Have you read THIS Les? Tells you all you need to know.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Empty clarification

Post  leslonsdale Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:40 pm

marcus watts wrote:hi Jun,

Nice work - very natural. I used to make scale scenery for wargaming and there is a great product from woodland scenics that makes waterfalls and swirling water etc - it is very natural when combined with the still water product you are using atm. -you can add ripples, waves, and as i mentioned waterfalls - check their website - it will give you lots of clues my friend Wink

best regards Marcus

I was commenting on the quote above. I forgot to include the quote.
sorry,
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Empty thanks!

Post  leslonsdale Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:41 pm

fiona wrote:Have you read THIS Les? Tells you all you need to know.

Thanks, that helps.
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:12 pm

Jun,

Have you tried (if it is available in the Philippines) Alumilite casting resins? I used to turn pens and it is widely used as casting material because it is not (or a lot less) toxic/noxious than most similar resin.

http://www.alumilite.com/Category.cfm?Category=Casting%20Resins
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  leslonsdale Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Poink88 wrote:Jun,

Have you tried (if it is available in the Philippines) Alumilite casting resins? I used to turn pens and it is widely used as casting material because it is not (or a lot less) toxic/noxious than most similar resin.

http://www.alumilite.com/Category.cfm?Category=Casting%20Resins

I looked it up. The 'clear cast' 2-pt. resin is very similar (maybe the same) as the 2-pt epoxy glaze from Home Depot, except alumilite's is more expensive (16oz./$20).

Les
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:38 am

Thanks Dario and Les.

Are these chemicals used in casting waterproof and "sun exposure" resistant.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Empty Epoxy glaze

Post  leslonsdale Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:23 pm

Jun,
It is waterproof. I keep mine outside and the trees get watered everyday. When 'showing' a tree, just tip the tray and the water rolls off leaving a shiny clear appearance as if the water is still there.
As far as sun resistant, I'm not sure how long. I only put my groupings together about 2 months ago. I guess time will tell. I will see if the instructions mention that.

Also, I will post some pics of my trees with epoxy water, as soon as I find the USB cable to the camera.

Les
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:58 pm

jun wrote:Are these chemicals used in casting waterproof and "sun exposure" resistant.
Yes on both that is being used on casting pen blanks. Please check which is best since they have multiple offerings. Last I checked (few years back), they are very responsive (email wise) and even ships free samples here in the US. Unlike epoxy, these do not turn yellowish in time either.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 02, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi IBC Folks!

Sorry to say, my water image effect didn't work on this one because I need to keep on watering the Phempis acidula trees at least 3 times a day and misting the the rocks more than 10 times a day to keep the moss alive, the very hot summer here ruined my plan. I need at least 6 to 8 hours drying time for the chemicals, and the waters keep on ruining it...here it as is to be shown tomorrow. But my elm forest "water effect" was successful. see it in the other thread.

6:00 PM
Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Dsc_0955

4:00 PM
Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Dsc_0949

1:00 PM
Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Dsc_0953

Hey Pavel, I took your advice (thanks Man!)...I used "bamboo" to fill the gap you pointed out earlier, while I am waiting for the cascade to develop.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ferdie * Tue May 08, 2012 4:56 am

Bro,

All i can say... Its really a WOW cyclops Laughing thumbs up , a great and splendid creation Idol, another work of art again..

by the way Bro, thanks for the info and update, its only now, i just open this site again since thursday, i really missed that chance..
Ferdie *
Ferdie *

Back to top Go down

Not "super large" -Penjing - Page 2 Empty thanks!

Post  leslonsdale Tue May 08, 2012 3:36 pm

Ferdie * wrote:Bro,

All i can say... Its really a WOW cyclops Laughing thumbs up , a great and splendid creation Idol, another work of art again..

by the way Bro, thanks for the info and update, its only now, i just open this site again since thursday, i really missed that chance..

Thanks a lot, but I would consider it no more than a 'novice' attempt at Penjing. Although I've been doing bonsai for quite a while, I only started trying Penjing this year.
All 3 of those compositions are less than 2 months old.
I'm ordering a book on it, and combing the Internet for penjing pictures and articles, because I have penjing fever now.
I've got a nearly endless supply of limestone rocks from the local creek here in Bainbridge, GA. My problem is that I have very little mame material to work with. I've always grown larger trees and forest plantings, so I don't have the best material for the 'small trees on cliff' yet.

Thus, the immature trees on the mountain scene with the tall rock.

But thank you again for your gracious comments!

Les
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue May 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Maybe Ferdie could comment on whether he was referring to Jun's work or Les's.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 08, 2012 4:16 pm

fiona wrote:Maybe Ferdie could comment on whether he was referring to Jun's work or Les's.

I hope Ferdie meant it for Les's work too. I am very happy that more and more people are trying penjing. I just hope hope that some penjing would reflect local images of the artist creating penjing. this is the reason I am trying to avoid using much Chinese figurine and temples/pagodas because it is not ours.

Nice work Les...keep it up!

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  leslonsdale Tue May 08, 2012 10:11 pm

jun wrote:
fiona wrote:Maybe Ferdie could comment on whether he was referring to Jun's work or Les's.

I hope Ferdie meant it for Les's work too. I am very happy that more and more people are trying penjing. I just hope hope that some penjing would reflect local images of the artist creating penjing. this is the reason I am trying to avoid using much Chinese figurine and temples/pagodas because it is not ours.

Nice work Les...keep it up!

regards,
jun Smile

I'm sorry, Jun, if I jumped the gun on that last post. Ferdie was probably commenting on your composition, since this is your thread.
thank you for the comment!
I do love your creation! I wish I could get rock like that!
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next