Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel

4 posters

Go down

Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel Empty Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel

Post  Fore Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:54 pm

A neighbor has one of these in her front yard that is gorgeous with it's yellow flowers and great bark.

Has anyone used one for bonsai? I couldn't find hardly anything searching google so I'm thinking not. But why not if so?
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel Empty arnold palmer witch hazle

Post  moyogijohn Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:19 pm

FORE,,, i found one at a local nursery and loved the flowers.... it is posted on page 6 .. i like the tree but everyone says the leaves are too big.. i was told to use it when the flowers bud on bare limbs then just put it in a corner....hope this helps.. take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel Empty Re: Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel

Post  Fore Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Found it John, Thanks! Can you post a picture of yours when it leaves out? I'm curious about the leaves. Wonder if it'll respond to leaf reduction?
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:55 pm

FORE,,, I will post when it leaves out.. i don,t know about leaf reduction .. we will see.... take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebbtide Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:56 am

i would like to share pics of my prebonsai witch hazel in bloom.

Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel P1040814

Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel P1040822
Ebbtide
Ebbtide

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:07 pm

EBBTIDE,,,Nice looking tree.. i am hopeing mine will branch out more this year..we will have to compare them later this growing season..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Ebbtide, very nice witch hazel in bloom! Where did you find such a nice stock?
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebbtide Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:41 am

moyogijohn wrote:EBBTIDE,,,Nice looking tree.. i am hopeing mine will branch out more this year..we will have to compare them later this growing season..take care john

john, thanks. i just got the tree from a nursery. i'll let it establish in the new pot first and wait till next year for styling. i would like to see the progress of your tree. ciao, philip
Ebbtide
Ebbtide

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebbtide Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:50 am

Fore wrote:Ebbtide, very nice witch hazel in bloom! Where did you find such a nice stock?

hi fore, believe it or not, this tree was hidden under a display table and covered with dried leaves. i saw some yellow peeking through the wooden slats, got curious and stripped the cover. obviously it was in full bloom and Wolf Trap Nursery here in Virginia wasn't ready to take it out for spring display. there were a couple i saw but the other had too straight of a trunk so i picked this one. ciao, philip
Ebbtide
Ebbtide

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Very nice find Ebbtide! Isn't it weird how sometimes we find treasures in the strangest places. I just read a thread where this guy got this great Bald Cypress out of a trash heap lol
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebbtide Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:42 am

Here's an update of my witch hazel this spring.

Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel April272013Bonsai021
Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel April272013Bonsai016
Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel April272013Bonsai015
Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel April272013Bonsai013
Ebbtide
Ebbtide

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebbtide Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:02 am

Here's how the plant looked when bought in 2012.

Arnold Palmer Witch Hazel P1040812
Ebbtide
Ebbtide

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:51 am

While they're certainly not a commonly used species, I've seen a few very nice specimens of Japanese Witch Hazel, called "mansaku" in Japan. I can't remember the year off hand, but one graced the cover of a Kokufu album in the last decade or so.
The leaves are rather large, but the ramification isn't coarse, its relatively fine in fact, so whoever told you that it could only be appreciated in flower was a shortsighted at best. The emerging leaves are attractive, so I see good potential in the species for full winter ramification display, flowering display, and early spring display. All deciduous leaves reduce to a certain extant, even given the large original size, from what I've seen of the Japanese wych hazel, I think it's quite underused.
Ryan
Http://JapaneseBonsaiPots.net/

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down