Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09

+6
fiona
Kev Bailey
Bob Brunt
Stone Monkey
DaveP
Harleyrider
10 posters

Go down

Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 Empty Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09

Post  Harleyrider Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Greetings and salutations, fellow tree wranglers. I consider myself extremely fortunate as a relative newcomer to the world of bonsai (well, I dabbled in my 20's until an irate girlfriend decided to 'prune' my meagre collection with a set of boltcutters as a parting gift) to have been invited to Tony's workshop/BBQ soiree on Sat 27th June 09, where not a drop of alcohol was consumed. No, really! Very Happy

At this juncture I'd just like to thank Tony and 'the lads' (who shall remain nameless as I'm useless with names) for the warm welcome I recieved, and for the willingness to share their expansive knowledge with me. As I told Tony, I learned a lot more than I think I realised, and I'll need some time to let it all filter through.
The over-riding lesson of the day, though, was that I need to completely re-evaluate my perceptions of just what constitutes 'good material', although I'm unsure at the moment whether I'm capable of differentiating which is which. Perhaps the additional invite I got for a trip up 'The Hill' will serve to reveal those mysteries to me?

Anyway, that's enough of my drivel. Ladies and gentlemen, after much confusion regarding image re-sizing and vanishing posts, I present for your edification a small selection of pictographical images taken at the aforementioned event.

Going........
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0567[/img]

Going........
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0568[/img]

GONE! And to think, he only came in for a trim.
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0569[/img]

Sartorial elegance! What the well-dressed yamadori hunter will be wearing next season.
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0591[/img]

Hard at work.......ish.
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0590[/img]

Neatly side-stepping the American/Canadian issue, I'll just say that this particularly friendly chap was in possession of the finest Larch grouping I have seen to-date. And I hate him!
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0592[/img]

And now a selection of some Tony's trees. The white cup you see in most of these shots was placed there by me as a scale reference, and does not constitute part of Tony's suiseki collection. Very Happy

Monster Hawthorn. Trust me, it's VERY heavy!
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0571[/img]

Fat Oak. Tony has rough-carved the trunk to produce taper, and has taken the hole right through the trunk.
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0572[/img]

If you haven't seen these before, where have you been? Tony's bargain basement.......not!
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0574[/img]

Escalonia-zilla. When Tony said he wanted us to help him move it, we all formed an orderly queue......at the exit.
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0579[/img]

Stunning hawthorn. Completely hollow all the way up.
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0577[/img]

Yet another beautiful example of hawthorn. Sob, sob.
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0576[/img]

Escalonia again, but of a more manageable size.
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0575[/img]

Our host with one of the first trees he ever collected, a lovely pine. Check out the stone it sits in. Niiiice.
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0593[/img]

Right, time for you to do some work now. A couple of debates arose on the day, with no satisfactory conclusions being reached. First up.......

Which looks better, (A)
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0587[/img]

or (B)?
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0588[/img]

And next, this amazing blackthorn owned by Lee (?). Would it look better in the pot it's in (which was re-named The Washing-up Bowl), or the more subtle dish beside it? Discuss.
[img]Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 100_0585[/img]

Righty ho, I'll leave you now. If you ever get chance to visit Tony's garden, take it. You'll be assured of a warm welcome and you would have to travel a long way to see trees of this quality up close and personal.

Thanks again to everyone concerned, and thanks, dear reader, for taking the time to get to the end of this!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 Empty Re: Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09

Post  DaveP Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:36 pm

Wonderful post - and wonderful images! ..and, uh, Tony .. if we find a way around the whole import thing, I could probably figure out a way of reducing the burden of such a collection in some way. ;-)

DaveP

Back to top Go down

Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 Empty Re: Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09

Post  Stone Monkey Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Lee

If Mr Storey is going to Burrs and he brings that hat we will have to see if it swims my learned friend drunken

Looks like you all had a ball gents, how jealous am I Mad

See you in November

All the best

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 Empty Where did you get that hat?

Post  Harleyrider Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:35 pm

Oooh. Methinks Tony wouldn't be overly impressed to see his titfer heading seawards! Mad
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 Empty RE:Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-06-09

Post  Bob Brunt Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:51 am

Hi Harleyrider.
What a fantastic post. Well done Steve it was a pleasure to meet you. I'm glad (unlike myself ) you remembered to bring a camera..Like you I sat and soaked up all the knowledge that was on offer and picked up a lot of good tips especially on Hawthorn and Yew..It was a lovely day.Great trees great company even the burgers were great. ... Thanks again Tony !
Bob Brunt
Bob Brunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:17 pm

I hear the barbecue went well. Glad you all had a great time and I also wish I could have been there.

I'm supposed to be having a garden club visit my place tonight. Have you seen the weather forecast! Typical, a week of blazing sun and record temperatures and the moment I have people coming around, thunderstorms slap bang over North Wales at 6pm.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:37 pm

I never thought I'd hear myself saying this: a bit of a thunderstorm would be a godsend up here in our west of Scotland heatwave. Not a drop for nearly six weeks apart from one overnighter that scarcely wet the top millimetre of the soil. So Kev, Send yours up here fifthwith. As long as I can send it back tomorrow before sunrise.

Well done on the barbie front Tony. On second thoughts, I'd better make that barby otherwise he'll get excited. I too wish I coulda bin a contender for it. But tell Dave P he needs to get in a very long queue in the "collection reduction" stakes. And I've got the sharpest elbows.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveP Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:01 pm

:: lives in fear of Fi's elbows :: Very Happy

You guys can have some of our rain. Seriously. 2nd of July and I haven't needed to water in 5 days. In fact, no matter *how* well-draining my soil is (and it drains like a sieve), this is just *too much* rain. The soil isn't getting a chance to dry down at all. Sad

Kindest~
-d

DaveP

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Warhurst Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Yeah looks like it was a good one as usual, gutted I couldn`t make it.

Harleyrider, it wouldn`t be the first piece of Tony,s attire that,s gone down the river. lol!

Ian.

Ian Warhurst

Back to top Go down

Post  matt addie Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Wow! Looks like the BBQ was a fantastic event, as expected! Can you believe I was invited but had to honour a previous commitment - I felt bad enough about not being able to do both BEFORE seeing this post Crying or Very sad ! Really glad you all had a great time. cheers

If I'm lucky enough to get an invite to a future event I shall be sure to clear the calendar for a month either side ... just to be sure!

I was fortunate enough to be on the recieving end of Tony's wonderful hospitality earlier in the year and honestly learnt more about the art of bonsai in one afternoon than a whole year's worth of reading books/magazines/websites. Completely changed my viewpoint for the better. I too left with the realisation that good quality starting material is so important .... now I just need to get my hands on some! scratch

Thanks for post, allowing those of us who couldn't be there to share in the event. I can almost smell the burgers from here!

Matt

By the way, I'm also going to the Burrs event in November (still feels a bit like "in at the deep end" but you gotta jump in sometime!) so hopefully I'll get to meet some of you there?
matt addie
matt addie

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:48 pm

Yeah, I'm hoping to make it to Burr's myself, so we could stand back to back and fend off all attackers!

I just need to crack the security code on the wife's purse...............
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  matt addie Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:52 pm

Ah yes, safety in numbers, like it! Hope you can get that purse cracked in time!
matt addie
matt addie

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:50 am

(still feels a bit like "in at the deep end" but you gotta jump in sometime!) so hopefully I'll get to meet some of you there?

Matt

We all have to jump in at some point but in a "Burrs" case there are plenty of good people to catch you when you make that jump Very Happy

See you at Burrs

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:56 am

Don't worry Matt, I'll be a newbie at Burr's although I have had the pleasure of some of the guys company before drunken

Andy & I have invested in some new prunning tools, what do ya think???

Workshop & BBQ at Tony Tickle's 27-6-09 Padawa10

See you all there Very Happy
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  matt addie Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:24 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Monkeys (Stone and Bonsai!). Look forward to seeing you at Burrs.

You've got to tell me where I can get one of those pruning sticks!! Very Happy
matt addie
matt addie

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:40 pm

Success! I've managed to pick the lock on Mrs J's purse! Burr's here I come.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:44 pm

Another great bbq,i think we should pitch tents next year and do the rammie mile,what you think Tony?
Master monkeys,i will see you in the star wars bar at burrs! feel the force my friends!
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:34 am

Hi Lee

Not sure what time we will get there on Friday eve as I am planning a diversion via Brum to pick up some of the Portuguese contingent for Mr T. But have one on the bar ready mate. Have got some nice pots in the pipeline for Burrs including some "BIGGIES". I will also bring the deceased Hawthorn back with me so gutted Sad as it was a cracking trunk

All the best mate Very Happy

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down