Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Post

3 posters

Go down

First Post Empty First Post

Post  GoColtsIndy Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:02 pm

Greetings,

I have been interested in Bonsai for about 10 years. I have read several books but have never taken the time to set up any formal Bonsai.

I did manage to keep an Elm tree alive in a 2 gallon pot for about 4-5 years; I transplanted a volunteer in a large pot and forgot about it. When I moved (3 years ago), I transplanted the Elm into a large container built into my deck. I was wondering what I should do about trimming the roots and shaping the tree additionally.

The shape it currently has is a result of hard pruning twice a year. The location on my deck will allow the tree to be 4 ft. +/-

Is it fair to say that this tree will not be considered a true bonsai, as it will sit in a large container?

Now that my children are getting a bit older, I should have some time I can devote to propagating some true bonsai.

I live in Indiana, a very well shaded lot.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards

CG

GoColtsIndy

Back to top Go down

First Post Empty Re: First Post

Post  bucknbonsai Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:31 am

with shade, I would focus on field growing some trident maples and Japanese maples in the ground. Bonsai-4-me has some good articles on starting this kind of stuff as well as advanced articles. join a local club, thats when you really start to learn
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

First Post Empty Indianapolis, Indiana Bonsai club

Post  GoColtsIndy Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:07 am

Thanks. Anyone know where to start with Indianapolis, Indiana Bonsai club.

Also, when would be the best time of year to pull the tree and trim the roots?

I will post a pciture of the tree when I get home with some sunlight.

Thanks

cg

GoColtsIndy

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 am

Indianapolis Bonsai Club. Meets on first Wednesday of each month at 7:00pm. Meetings are held at the Garfield Park Conservatory, 2450 Shelby St., Indianapolis, IN. President Mark Fields: maf71459@yahoo.com, Vice-President Carl Wooldridge: carlwool@hotmail.com. Website http://www.indybonsai.org/
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down