Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unusual Tree Help Needed

4 posters

Go down

Unusual Tree Help Needed Empty Unusual Tree Help Needed

Post  DougB Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:00 pm

I need the advise of those who work with unusual tropical/semi-tropical plants. Late last summer I ordered what I thought was to be a small trees and got a 4+ foot instead. It is a Dichrostachy's cinerea (princess Earrings, Sickle bush or Bell Mimosa are some common names). It has regained its strength and had several larger branches up high. How do I turn some of the larger branches into pre-bonsais? (cut a branch and stick in sand or water? (air layer a branch? or?) And when should I begin the process? As always your expertise is appreciated.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Unusual Tree Help Needed Empty Re: Unusual Tree Help Needed

Post  LittleJoe Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:07 pm

You could start here: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/hil/hil-8702.html
Google is your friend ;-)
LittleJoe
LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Unusual Tree Help Needed Empty HUH???

Post  GerhardGerber Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:49 am

Hi Doug

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the tree?
Looks like you are in the US, and the tree is African.

The species is invasive locally, likes disturbed areas next to roads etc.
I've tried to collect several times but failed, suckers mostly.

I'm not sure at all, but my gut tells me an air layer will work if anything does.....

I might have tried cuttings, it was my early days and I tried everything....only remember the successes.

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks Joseph for your response. I am very familiar with the how of reproduction and of course the excellent resource of NCSU and the great universities across our nation. I was asking for specific information on this tree. It is not common in the US and because it is invasive actually should not be used.

Gerhard no I don't mind your asking. I actually found a few bonsai dealers selling small trees and my giant was in a 3 gal pot. They are available from TopTropicals.com for about $25us. Yes I was leaning toward trying to air layer, but may just try a cutting as well. Would you suggest trying with a hardened branch, green, or semi hardened?

Thanks to both of you.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Unusual Tree Help Needed Empty your post

Post  armetisius Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:46 pm

Perhaps this will provide the info you are looking for:
http://www.worldagroforestry.org/treedb/AFTPDFS/Dichrostachys_cinerea.pdf

armetisius

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks armetisius. I had not thought to look there. Great site with a lot of info. Sadly at a quick glance I did not see any info on reproduction, other than seed pods. Thanks again.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down