Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

are casaurina salt tolerant

2 posters

Go down

are casaurina salt tolerant Empty are casaurina salt tolerant

Post  john5555leonard Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:52 am

anybody know if casaurina are slightly salt tolerant or not, its just that i see them growing in the sand near the beach and wondered about it, also i,v been thinking of using crushed coral rock in the soil mix, because i have a problem getting pumice etc at the moment and even though i,ll soak it in water for a few weeks first there may be a residual of salt left in. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

are casaurina salt tolerant Empty Re: are casaurina salt tolerant

Post  Bruce Winter Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:48 am

Yes, they are. I used to live in Trona, CA (no one's ever heard of it) and the outside taps were saline. The yards were sand and the only trees were casaurina.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:18 am

thanks bruce, regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:58 am

Like you said John, Just slightly. but you must be very careful. It is not like Phempis acidula that can tolerate heavy salt, although sometimes they can be both found in the same area.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:55 am

hi jun, thanks, its only if there is a little salt in the coral rock that i was concerned but i,m going to soak it well first. it,s a real pain not being able to get all the stuff for soil like in europe, i,v been using crushed red brick and now they do not stock it anymore, and i use pumice, now thats out of stock, they are still blaming the floods in bangkok, oh well. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down