Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION REPORT

+19
hiram
Todd Ellis
jrodriguez
David Carvalho
sirius
xuan le
Jose Acuña
Andrei Darusenkov
Glaucus
Rob Kempinski
kauaibonsai
marcus watts
Budi Sulistyo
Max
Ed Trout
Jesse
fredtruck
Billy M. Rhodes
William N. Valavanis
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2012 KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION REPORT - Page 2 Empty Re: 2012 KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION REPORT

Post  sirius Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks you so much for your sharing!
sirius
sirius

Back to top Go down

2012 KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION REPORT - Page 2 Empty Kokufu

Post  David Carvalho Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Hello,

Kokufu is without any doubt the best exhbition of Bonsai in the world. Amazing photos and outstanding trees. The winners are simply fabulous.
Thank you so much for the photos, we have much to learn from them.

Cheers,

David Carvalho

Back to top Go down

2012 KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION REPORT - Page 2 Empty Re: 2012 KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION REPORT

Post  jrodriguez Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:39 pm

David Carvalho wrote:Hello,

Kokufu is without any doubt the best exhbition of Bonsai in the world. Amazing photos and outstanding trees. The winners are simply fabulous.
Thank you so much for the photos, we have much to learn from them.

Cheers,

David,

Yes, Kokufu Ten is one of the top bonsai exhibitions in the world, so is Sakufu Ten, Meihen Ten, Gafu Ten, Chwa Fong (Taiwan Bonsai Creators), Hwa Fong (Taiwan National Show), PPBI (Indonesian Bonsai Show), Noelander's Trophy, Exhibición del Museo de Alcobendas and many others around the world. Different Styles and Distinct Flavors.....

Warm Regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:00 pm

Bill,

Thanks for posting this review. Somehow this tree looks familiar to me. I believe you published an article a few years ago that featured the training process of this tree. If i am not mistaken, Mr. Kimura Masahiko was the artist.

I really like the antique chinese pot it is in. On another note, please notice the right foot. It was repaired using gold, a technique common to valuable chinese antique bonsai pots.
2012 KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION REPORT - Page 2 Shimpa10
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Well name card says 'Takagi Naotoshi'?

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Glaucus wrote:Well name card says 'Takagi Naotoshi'?

OK, that might be the owners name, which might not actually be the creator.

Thanks,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Of course. Can't really read anything else.

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

2012 KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION REPORT - Page 2 Empty Opinions

Post  David Carvalho Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Hello José Luis,

Sorry to totally disagree but you can't really compare 86 Kokufu's to any other real Bonsai exhibition in the world, not only Kokufu has raised the standards every year has they set the new tree design trends and we must be humble enough to accept that. I admire many exhibitions around the world but I'm sure that even the organizers of those exhibitions you pointed out, look up at Kokufu not only with respect but has a goal to achieve.

We have much to learn not only from 86 Kokufu's but for more than 1000 years of Japanese Bonsai.

Cheers,

David Carvalho

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:34 pm

David Carvalho wrote:Hello José Luis,

Sorry to totally disagree but you can't really compare 86 Kokufu's to any other real Bonsai exhibition in the world, not only Kokufu has raised the standards every year has they set the new tree design trends and we must be humble enough to accept that. I admire many exhibitions around the world but I'm sure that even the organizers of those exhibitions you pointed out, look up at Kokufu not only with respect but has a goal to achieve.

We have much to learn not only from 86 Kokufu's but for more than 1000 years of Japanese Bonsai.

Cheers,

I totally agree with you David,

the post implying the noeleanders among others is as good was way off the mark - I've only studied the many pictures rather than seeing the trees for real but for me personally there is a lack of attention (or ability in some cases maybe) to the infinite details and extreme refinement seen in the top end japanese trees. Many trees we see in show photo montages from non japanese shows are a bit scruffy round the egdes, when really you would expect every leaf and needle to be perfectly arranged. Partly, outside japan I think many trees are over shown, often long before they are actually ready because the owner is looking to raise their cudos, reputation or to promote their own styling classes or tree sales.

Time and history has a lot to do with it too - the great masterpiece trees have been groomed for decades by the most skilled bonsai growers in the world so they should be the trees to aspire to, but it also means other shows are still in a lower league and probably always will be when you look at the entire entries as a whole - obviously there will be the occasional tree that is very good, but it is about the entire show you need to judge really, the picture books that accompany the events give a good guide to the quality once you've turned a few pages .

cheers Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:59 pm

It is always tough to define the best especially if you haven't been to many different shows. But having had the good fortune to have seen a couple Japanese Kokufutens, a couple Taikantens, and some other local shows in Japan, some good shows in Taiwan, in China, Italy and in the USA I can say that there are high level trees in all areas. Some of the Japanese trees have long pedigrees but that has nothing to do with the show. The Japanese way to display trees is very nice and the some western western shows have equaled that and some shows in Taiwan have also. But if I were to say where are the consistently best trees displayed it would be in Taiwan. The ASPAC in Taiwan was amazing and eclipsed in quality and quantity the Japanese major shows and the recent ASPAC in Japan.

China is where the art started and there is a serious move afoot there to be the global leader in bonsai. For proof I suggest you plan to go to the BCI Convention and Exhibition in Yangzhou in 2013. I believe you will be impressed.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:04 pm

Yesterday I completed my three day study at this year's Kokufu Bonsai Exhibition.

Yes, you are correct about the different colored bark on the Shishigashira Japanese maple bonsai. They are constantly watering the bonsai and it was difficult to photograph and enjoy the bark in the dry condition.

Although many bonsai were lost in the tsunami, including Doug Paul's Shimpaku juniper which was displayed in last year's exhibition, they still have plenty of fine quality masterpieces to show. He also had a large Shimpaku juniper in this year's show too.

Now, as far as wiring goes, I did some research yesterday on the wired bonsai in the exhibition:

Total bonsai exhibits on display: 252 (including 7 shohin bonsai compositions)

130 narrow leaf evergreens (large and medium size only, not shohin bonsai)

118 bonsai wired
12 unwired
(and most of the unwired bonsai looked that way and could have used some wire)

It seems to me that many Westerners try to be more "pure" than the Japanese when displaying bonsai. Also looks like many Westerners are also trying to be more "pure" than the Japanese as far as suiseki goes too.

Just a few first hand observations in my opinion.
Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

2012 KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION REPORT - Page 2 Empty Japan

Post  David Carvalho Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Hello Rob,

I truly believe that many countrys are in the "race" to achieve top events and be part of the front row and that is all good news for all Bonsai lovers. Still Japan takes a huge part not only in their local Bonsai scene but also in the world of Bonsai, without them probably most of us would never had the chance to practice this amazing art form.

In Europe for example there are a huge number of imported material from Japan, well known exhibitions like the fantastic Noelanders and many others have many Japanese trees and they usually win, and not because they are Japanese, they win because they are amazing specimens and above all because they are mature (wabi sabi). I don't know much about the North America Bonsai scene a part from names like Ryan Neil (which I love his work) but I tend to believe that there is also a quite large number of Japanese trees over there and I'm sure they go to Exhibitions.

Now has a European I believe that time is on our side (and for the rest of the world) because what I see is that we still don't have a large number of mature trees, still there are loads of amazing raw material but it's simply impossible to compete against Japanese trees who have been worked for 70, 80, 90, 100 years, because time takes a HUGE part on this art.

With time I truly believe we can take our trees to the next level, learning from artists who traveled to Japan and dedicate their lifes to Bonsai like Mario Komsta, Ryan Neil and many many others...but above all we need time to achieve our goals, so it's just a matter of patience, but hey this is Bonsai and Patience also takes a huge part Smile

p.s - Thanks to all participants on this thread, for the very constructive discussion about this theme Smile

Cheers,

David Carvalho

Back to top Go down

2012 KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION REPORT - Page 2 Empty Wired

Post  David Carvalho Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Hello Bill,

Well to be honest I'm still bulding my opinion on wired trees on exhbition, from what I've heard there were a few wired winners at the Noelanders Trophy so I don't know what to think. At first glance if you ask me if it looks bad, yes it looks Sad Still like you said, we must not forget about the tsunami and I bet it did not help at all the artists, the people, the exhibition and the country. Sad

About "Bonsai Rules" I think Westerns have much to learn about the Japanese thinking & teaching, we tend to take rules in a very strict way (sometimes too strictly!) and I tend to think that we need to see "Japanese Bonsai Rules" has a Guide or friendly advice, we are different and I'm sure that you know that Smile but hey I never been to Japan Smile hope to study Bonsai there in a couple of years Smile

Cheers,

David Carvalho

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:39 pm

I think pre show wiring is totally acceptable to present the foliage perfectly neat and aligned, pads with crisp edges, negative spaces clear and defined etc. It was very interesting to read the vast majority of the show entries had some wire on them, but then the nurseries that enter them have a responsability to the owners to present the tree in the best possible state so 'show preping' is part of the service.

Very interesting observations Rob, it is interesting to hear of a nation hungry to 'take the crown' through hard work - I look forward to the show. I was looking through other picture blogs of this show and a few amazing trees were shown , the great hinoki, kimuras juniper mountain etc, but there were some wild looking trees too - this could be the japanese artists breaking from the rigid neatness of previous generations, who knows?

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Thank you Bill,

Great information, and much appreciated !

Ed

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:11 am

Thank you Bill for sharing your trip. I liked your "favorite" juniper as well! See you in Lynchburg in a few weeks!
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  hiram Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:36 am

Amazing trees and thank you so much for sharing. Very Happy
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:01 am

Cheers,

David,

So, you cannot compare the Kokufu Ten to any other bonsai exhibition in the world? Well, I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I guess you must be in a privileged position to make such a general statement.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Warm regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  LSBonsai Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:34 am

jrodriguez wrote:

Cheers,

David,

So, you cannot compare the Kokufu Ten to any other bonsai exhibition in the world? Well, I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I guess you must be in a privileged position to make such a general statement.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Warm regards,

Jose Luis

The trees you posted from the Taiwan exhibit are some of the most incredible and refined bonsai I have ever seen. The thing that struck me most was the diversity of the species. I don't think I saw two of the same species! This makes this exhibit very special in my eyes. As you mentioned, different flavours... all great.

LSBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:42 pm

Bill, thanks for the pictures, informations n insights. All the best.

Cheers,

CJ
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks for the photos and report Bill!!!
One thing that you notice about the displays at Kokufu is the attention to details.
Not only the wonderful Bonsai, but the quality of the the stands, the perfect match
of tree and pot, the quality of the pots, the perfect match of tree and stand, the perfect match of accessories,
the care in proper placement of the tree on the stand and in the space allowed. Try to compare
with other exhibits mentioned and see how they fare.

Mark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi Bill

Thanks for sharing theese nice photos from the Kokufu Ten.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Mark wrote:the care in proper placement of the tree on the stand and in the space allowed. Try to compare

I thought the photos from the Taiwan show were really good examples of the Japanese display principle of 右勝手左流れ or 左勝手右流れ...
Kakejiku
Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Kakejiku wrote:
Mark wrote:the care in proper placement of the tree on the stand and in the space allowed. Try to compare

I thought the photos from the Taiwan show were really good examples of the Japanese display principle of 右勝手左流れ or 左勝手右流れ...

sorry but a pointless comment unless you translate it.............

The taiwan pics are superb, but they are also completley inspired by japanese trees and in no way show some magical style of their own - this is why they are getting such a great response from us -they are trees of the neatest and highest refined quality. Unfortunately the show layout is greatly lacking the japanese quality - the backdrops are so short the trees have not been framed fully in pictures so we are seeing the building and general background over the top.

both shows are showing fantastic trees, are the thai trees fully styled by their owners or by paid proffesionals? that would be interesting to know.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:39 pm

marcus watts wrote:
Kakejiku wrote:

sorry but a pointless comment unless you translate it.............

The taiwan pics are superb, but they are also completley inspired by japanese trees and in no way show some magical style of their own - this is why they are getting such a great response from us -they are trees of the neatest and highest refined quality. Unfortunately the show layout is greatly lacking the japanese quality - the backdrops are so short the trees have not been framed fully in pictures so we are seeing the building and general background over the top.

both shows are showing fantastic trees, are the thai trees fully styled by their owners or by paid proffesionals? that would be interesting to know.

cheers Marcus

Marcus,

I read your statement many times before I could gather my thoughts and offer a responsible answer. First of all, Taiwanese trees are NOT completely inspired by the Japanese. They do have a style of their own, which has revived the character of ancient chinese art. Like you mention, Taiwanese trees do not show some MAGICAL style of their own. Taiwanese bonsai techniques and branch configuration did not come to existence by pure magic. It is the result of trial and error. Of seizing opportunity from adversity and learning from their natural surroundings. Each tree is styled according to the behavior and particular characteristics of each species. Also, Taiwanese deciduous and broad leaf evergreens place emphasis on vertical and horizontal tapering branches, merging 'grow and cut' techniques with positional wiring. Japanese deciduous and broad leaf trees are usually shaped into domes or plains. A totally distinct approach. Is one superior to the other; it all depends on you personal taste; a subjective issue.

So you state that the only reason Taiwanese trees appeal to the forum readers is the fact that they are totally inspired by Japanese bonsai. This statement is also false. The forum readers are very wise and have learned to appreciate bonsai for bonsai, not because they come from Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Europe, Latin America or North and South America. They are wise enough to distinguish one fact: Good bonsai is good bonsai, no matter where it comes from.

Also, the trees I posted are not Thai, but Taiwanese. By the way, Thailand has spectacular bonsai!

Bill,

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to, once again, post your annual Kokufu Ten report. Perhaps I should have refrained from posting the pictures from the Hwa Fong, in order to avoid any kind of misunderstandings. I will be wiser and more thoughtful next time.

My late friend Mr. Daizo Iwasaki once told me, when a mutual acquaintance asked him which country was number one in the bonsai world, everybody is number one!!!

Warm regards,

Jose Luis

Last edited by jrodriguez on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next