Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I love chojubai quince

+22
Stan Kengai
marcus watts
juniper07
maria kapra
dadshouse
Andrei Darusenkov
Leo Schordje
dorothy7774
fredtruck
William N. Valavanis
Poink88
Fore
Pavel Slovák
JimLewis
fiona
Mark Cooper
Ebbtide
drgonzo
coh
Bob Pressler
John Brocklehurst
dick benbow
26 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

I love chojubai quince - Page 4 Empty Re: I love chojubai quince

Post  dick benbow Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:17 pm

There's a new orange out (not the red but a new sport) that grows aggressively as does the "white". I put white in quotes because i've never seen a white chojubai. They are all tinged yellowish. I have to be honest, while i appreciate the oranage and "white", the smaller leafed red is more desirerable. Surprisingly I have seen reds with tiny leaves and others with bigger pretty close to white sized leaves. Bill did a nice job in his magazine with author owen reich. on the topic recently....2014 issue #1. . If you like chojubai, it's worth your while getting this back issue while readily available.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:49 pm

Dick, I agree. My "white" chojubai is kind of creamy/yellow in color.

However, last week at the Kokufu Bonsai Exhibition I saw a PURE white chojubai. It was stunning. Unfortunately the lighting was poor and could only get this photo. It was truly a unique color for chojubai.

Bill

I love chojubai quince - Page 4 White_10
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:10 am

wow... not only is that one stunning little tree, it is also very "instructional" to look at and study...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  fredtruck Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:36 pm

That's an amazing chojubai white. Thanks for the fine photo, Bill.

fredtruck

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:01 am

Was out "poking" around at local nurseries and much to my disbelief found a georgeous little quince, that looked every bit the part of chojubai, but leaf shape a bit different. Entitled Fuji, I brought it home just to play with.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  juniper07 Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:38 pm

Has anybody propagated Chojubai successfully from cuttings? I tried this year but failed (with quite a few cuttings). Any experienced information on propagating Chojubai cuttings would be appreciated.
juniper07
juniper07

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:21 pm

Hardwood.  Rootone.  Sandy soil.  Moist, NOT wet.  LEAVE THEM ALONE.  No wiggling, pulling or otherwise testing for roots. If no leaves appear next spring, sorry.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:07 pm

I don't have as good of luck as maybe others with the powder of rootone. I prefer the liquid hormone rather than the powder. Soil, I use the finest screened pummice 90% and 10% coconut fibers. A misting tent helps.As Jim suggests definetly wood that has hardened and is not still green.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  juniper07 Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:38 pm

The White Chojubai in a 2.5" pot that I got earlier this year from Brent Walston is flowering now in October. How cool is that.

I love chojubai quince - Page 4 Chojub10
juniper07
juniper07

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:56 pm

Very nice!!

Thanks for sharing.
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:05 am

A great thread. I love chojus very much too. Having grown them for about 20 years, looking at the Japanese examples at the start of this thread fill me with admiration. Going by my experience, those (the  japanese ones) must be be many decades old. Surley it would take 30 to 40 years to get a one inch trunk diameter from a cutting. ...At least in a pot. The ramification too is a testament to patience.
As for cuttings, I find them easy enough. I start them under mist for about 6 weeks and then put them out in the full sun with the other trees when they begin to callus. This bright light treatment - together with watering every day - seems to be the key. Hormones don't really ssem to be necessary.
MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Post  juniper07 Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi Dick, I PM'd you looking for some rooted red Chojubai cuttings to purchase. But I guess I should ask the other IBC folks in the US who have rooted cuttings... please PM me if you do.

Thanks,
Aman
juniper07
juniper07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4