Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I love chojubai quince

+22
Stan Kengai
marcus watts
juniper07
maria kapra
dadshouse
Andrei Darusenkov
Leo Schordje
dorothy7774
fredtruck
William N. Valavanis
Poink88
Fore
Pavel Slovák
JimLewis
fiona
Mark Cooper
Ebbtide
drgonzo
coh
Bob Pressler
John Brocklehurst
dick benbow
26 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Empty Re: I love chojubai quince

Post  dick benbow Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:49 pm

i have dozens of japanese flowering quinces in my landscaping that formerly were bonsai. I don't plan to slip into the soil anytime soon my chojubai Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:57 pm

JimLewis wrote:This is C. speciosa, not C. japonica, but since taxonomists mixed them up for years and since they hybridize so readily, I still wonder if they're not one and the same.

Anyway, there are other styles than clump for these plants.

I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Casca010

That's a really nice tree...elegant, as someone else mentioned. What is the size (top to bottom)?
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:58 pm

JimLewis wrote:Hmmmm. You must not be married.

I have some cuttings growing.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy You're absolutely correct! That's hilarious Jim!
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:58 pm

That's a really nice tree...elegant, as someone else mentioned. What is the size (top to bottom)?

Thank you. It is about 22 inches. I've been working on it since I got it as a nursery plant in Tallahassee in 1994.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:50 pm

dick benbow wrote:
I love the way they'll bloom in the spring, sporatically in summer and again another half hearted attempt in fall.
as they age their bark becomes very dark and textured, and compliments so well with the dark green minature leaves.

In short I love them more than nematodes do:)
Dick,

This is not a chojubai but your poetic love for it LOL Laughing got stuck in my mind and when I got the opportunity, I collected this regular quince. I would have not even noticed it if not for you so thank you. Width of base is about 8 inches.

I love chojubai quince - Page 2 P1110562
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:57 pm

looks like you've found a very nice subject to work with. I really like clump style better than single trunk. Hopefully you'll get lots of activity with new shoots to work with. Let them harden off later in the summer
so that it's safe to wire them and put some motion into the new growth. thanks for sharing Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:18 pm

Dick,

75% of what you see are deadwood. I opted to keep them to show the actual mass of the clump. Inside, I removed about 25% of dead and rotting branches that was "chocked" as they grew. It actually helped create a nice labyrinth of tangled branches rather than tightly packed sticks. I also reduced the perimeter growth some intentionally, some accidentally as I was digging. 3 of which are now planted separately.

One day, when I can afford it, I will eventually get a nice chojubai. Wink

Again, I thank you for the inspiration.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:55 pm

My chojubai are starting to wake up this spring. The leaves and a few flowers are evident. This is a white that is in training, so don't look at the pot. It's deep and that's why it was used.I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Img_2244
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:43 am

My white chojubai are in full bloom now in Rochester, New York and a few days ago I captured their beauty and wanted to share them with all lovers of Chojubai.

Also, yesterday I received my May issue of Kinbon, the premier Japanese bonsai periodical. The entire issue is on Chojubai. It arrived during my Open Workshop and immediately a few students and I sat down and scanned the photos. Last evening I was able to review the magazine and admire the photos (not read, it's in Japanese) of Chojubai in all different styles and how to create from air layers, etc. There is an historical article about Chojubai too and had a photograph of a shohin bonsai Chojubai from the first Kokufu Bonsai Ten (National Bonsai Exhibition) held in Tokyo in March 1934. I can read some captions and noticed that the shohin bonsai composition was part of a larger display by Toshiji Yoshimura, Yuji Yoshimura's father. The photo was small and not too clear, remember it was taken from an old black & white exhibition album.

Well, I just happen to have a copy of the original 1934 Kokufu Bonsai Ten Exhibition Album and scanned the original photo for sharing here. It's interesting to note that the shohin bonsai Chojubai, the one-line cascade style on the bottom was probably one of the finest in Japan at that time, 78 years ago. Enjoy, and by the way, the photo you are now enjoying is of higher quality and has more detail than the original and the one in the May issue of Kinbon.

Bill

I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Chojub10
In November, on my last walk through the sales area at the Taikan Bonsai Ten (Grandview Bonsai Exhibition) held in Kyoto, I just happen to notice a few odd containers under one of the vendor's tables. One was very unusual, contemporary Chinese and not too expensive, so I purchased it, never actually thinking it would come in handy. Last week it did and I believe fits the bonsai quite well.

I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Large-10
This is my larger white chojubai which is beginning to show the characteristic rough bark. Please remember the word "chojubai", means "long life ume" because the flowers are similar in form to Japanese flowering apricots, Prunus mume, and the bark becomes rough like them too.

I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Litera10
This is a shohin bonsai white Chojubai originally started by Yuji Yoshimura over 30 years ago.

I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Yoshim10
Toshiji Yoshimura display at the 1934 Kokufu Bonsai Ten featuring a shohin bonsai Chojubai, bottom shelf, one-line cascade style.
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:21 pm

what a nice discovery on Easter mornin', to wander down to the computer and find Bill's comments and photos.
I love the red pot! Thank-you Bill......

On the other hand, it's painful to know that there is information out there that i have no access to. What i'd give to have the articles translated.

I did that once with a japanese magazine on koi and an article on a famous breeder that I was enamoured of
his bloodline. You could tell the person I paid to translate had no understanding of koi as some of the translation
just didn't seem to fit.

pale
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Dick

All you need is money! I have excellent translators but they need to be paid. Please contact me about translating

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:50 pm

email sent Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  fredtruck Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks for starting this topic, Dick. It's rekindled my enthusiasm for chojubai. A white chojubai was my first successful deciduous bonsai. Now I'm looking forward to starting another. Thanks, again.

fredtruck

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:11 pm

your sure welcome. It is fun being enthusiastic about a particular variety. My oldest red is 30 plus years old and was started from a cutting. It's about 40% of the thickness of equal aged whites that I have. I'm excited to hear back from Bill V......Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sat May 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Dick, finally I have some blooms to show off Very Happy

[img]I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Img_co10[/img]

Damn it! No matter how I rotate it, it uploads an upside down picture. Sorry about that!

(Edit: here it is the right way up. - Mod)
I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Img_co10
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat May 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Wow your reds are really red. mine have an orange tint to them. The green in the leaf is nice too!
thanks for posting! Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sat May 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks Dick! I too was surprised at how red they are. I planted it in my grow bed when I got it this spring, so maybe that's why it's so green and healthy looking lol But I'm glad I did, this is a Very slow grower.

However, I owe this one to you Dick as I'd never heard of them before you posted yours, so Thanks! I really like it a lot!
Chris
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Empty Rotated

Post  dorothy7774 Sat May 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Here's the rotated pic, fore:

I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Img_co10
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sat May 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Thank You Dorothy!! I really appreciate that. Can I ask how you did that? I'm tired of posting pics upside down lol
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat May 19, 2012 10:43 pm

I've put it into your original as well, Fore. You need to make sure your original is the correct way up wherever it is you store it before you go through the upload system here. If you're using Windows Picture Manager or something similar, remember to Save after you rotate the image on screen or it reverts to the upside down/sideways one.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sun May 20, 2012 6:23 am

Thanks Fiona, but that's what is so weird, it already is upright on my hard drive/Macbook/Picassa photo editor. Must be something about Picassa, or me lol
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  fredtruck Tue May 22, 2012 4:05 am

This is my Chojubai White cascade, only recently begun. I have plans to expose the roots in the next few repottings.

I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Chojub12

fredtruck

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue May 22, 2012 1:50 pm

nice start, thnks for sharing. Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Tue May 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Fred, your plant looks nice style wise, but it's terribly unhealthy. Fertilize the heck out of it to green up the leaves.
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  fredtruck Tue May 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Actually, those dark leaves are shadows. Somewhat intense, I agree, but also misleading. Here's the file with the shadows removed pretty much.

I love chojubai quince - Page 2 Chojub13

fredtruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next