Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Needle Juniper

3 posters

Go down

Needle Juniper Empty Needle Juniper

Post  Mr Miyagi Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Two years ago I purchased this tree from Kaizen Bonsai at the amazing price of just £12. As soon as I received the tree I had a bit of fun after a few beers to many. Even with the poor styling I originally gave it the tree flourish and gained much vigour. The tree was taken as an air-layer many years ago. The main trunk had one live vein supporting the foliage. Unfortunately the rest of the stump was heavily infected with wood worm. After carving away the infected and rooted wood there wasn’t much left. The bit that is left will be carved in the years to come but for the mean time will be left. Recently I re-worked the tree (for me) a more pleasing form. The branch being held will be removed next year and is just there for the tree to regain itself. I am now on the hunt for a nice semi-cascade pot for it to spend the rest of it days. Here are a few pictures of it progression. Unfortunately I have no pictures of when it first arrived. Any ideas on pots or design would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Sam

Needle Juniper Sam_0513

Needle Juniper Sam_1018

Needle Juniper Sam_1019

Needle Juniper Sam_2212
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Needle Juniper Empty Re: Needle Juniper

Post  Russell Coker Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:22 am

I like where you're going with this. Did they tell you this is "needle juniper"? I don't think this is J. rigida, but rather J. conferta 'blue pacific'. Just my 2 cents.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Miyagi Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:31 am

Hi Russell, You’re probably right. Was a long time ago and can’t remember what it was listed as. Thanks for the correction though.
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:43 am

hi,

yes its not a juniperus rigida 'needle juniper' but most likely in the UK its a juniper squamata meyeri or squamata blue carpet, (or one of many blue garden junipers).
Both are hardy garden trees with very dense needle foliage that needs lots of thinning or the growth ends up like blue pom poms as the shoots come out at all angles - (you can see shoots pointing down on most branches) - these need cutting off to encourage side shoots, then pinch off the first flush of upward growth, allow the sides to extend and pinch the tips off too. Once you have the pad the size you want keep pinching growth tips back, leaving just 1 or 2 mm, regularly thin out lots of inner shoots with scissors or the whole lot with go brown and drop off due to no light and air getting in.

the last pic is the best way to go but i'd add a shari to join the deadwood on the base to the dead wood further along the tree it will get rid of the big solid appearance of the main trunk and if you can curve it it will take away the straight look too

Needle Juniper Sam_2210

cheers Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Miyagi Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Marcus, Thank you for taking the time to advise me. Love the idea of the connecting Shari and very helpful info on pruning and pinching. I assume pinching in this way will enable me to build more defined pads?
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down