Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to make your own wood hardener

3 posters

Go down

How to make your own wood hardener Empty How to make your own wood hardener

Post  Poink88 Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Just thought I would share this.

I used to turn wood and use to "stabilize" soft or even rotten wood. Sometimes we also need to fill voids to make them useable. To do this, you usually either; send it out and have it done professionally, use cyanoacrylate (aka crazy glue), or use wood hardener.

A cheaper alternative is melting flexi-glass in acetone. All you need is a big mouth glass container with metal lid. Make sure it doesn't leak since acetone is volatile and will escape fast.

Melting the flexi-glass can take a few hours (depending on size and thickness) and shaking every now and then help hasten it. Better yet just drop a few pieces in the acetone and let it sit overnight. It is fast, easy and cheap! You can make it in different thickness or consistency by adjusting the flexi-glass in your solution. If it gets too thick, just add more acetone.

If you wish, you can tint it as well, just check that whatever you use is compatible with acetone.

Note that flexiglass sheets have an outer plastic protective film. If that is what you are using, remember to remove the film first! I used to get FREE trimmings from a glazing company by the box of this stuff. Old, broken pieces will work well too (just clean them).

BTW, do this outside with proper ventilation and with appropriate mask as you would when using the regular wood hardener.

Good luck and stay safe!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

How to make your own wood hardener Empty Re: How to make your own wood hardener

Post  Poink88 Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:53 pm

BTW, I am used to the big mouth glass container since I immerse the wood pieces in the solution. In this case it doesn't apply so your old wood hardener container (all metal) will work well. Just have to cut the flexi-glass in smaller strips so it will go in the opening.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:23 am

hi, interesting tip - is it tried and tested on your own trees or just a potential theory?

hopefully you can you show some pictures of actual bonsai deadwood you have treated for us to see how it looks freshly done, and much more importantly what the wood looks like exposed to the elements for a several months.

Obviously it doesnt want to be shiny and 'plastic like' in appearance when wet or dry, and will it allow further weathering, cracking and splitting of the wood or do you think it will stop all further aging?

cheers for any more tree related details you have

Best Regards Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:29 pm

I tried and tested this on wood but not on bonsai. I assume it will be the same but element exposure wise and how natural it will look is not yet tested since all the wood I treated are re-finished. Note that the solution consistency plays a major role...the thicker it is, the less deeper it will penetrate.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

How to make your own wood hardener Empty interesting...

Post  rock Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:54 pm

flexi-glass = plexiglass ?

rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:40 pm

rock wrote:flexi-glass = plexiglass ?
Yes sir. Smile
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down